Speculation: Matt Duchene Megathread pt3 - All News/Proposals Go Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Lightning did that this year at the deadline with Steit, grabbing him from the flyers for Filppula and then moving him to the Penguins. Vegas did the same thing with the Canes twice this year for Blackhawks players. I can't say how much of the negotiations in those trades were discussed before the trades with both parties, but it does happen. And if the Avs were to do that now, who's to say that all three teams haven't discussed it.

None of these teams were managed by Joe "I'll wait" Sakic. The glacial pace at which Sakic operates until situations force him to act, precludes such a trade from working for Colorado.

It's a shame that the national media gave him so much s*** about the ROR trade cause I would love a similarly future-oriented return; but Sakic seems scared of making a move that he can't immediately sell to the casuals.

http://www.9news.com/about-us/team-bios/aaron-matas/32693990

Channel 9News in Colorado. I don't know if that is a Denver station - KUSA

Mark me down as a second avs fan who has never heard of this guy :dunno:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Jeff Carter returned 25 year old Jack Johnson, who was averaging 23 minutes per night and ~40 points per season over the prior 3 seasons, along with a 1st round pick. I think the Avs would be ecstatic with that kind of return. You could even drop the 1st, and the Avs could add something on their side.

Some defenders who were 25-26 years old were offered up in trade proposals here and a lot of Avs posters said that was too old for the rebuild!

Also, to be fair, Carter's career stats at the time were better than Duchene's to this point at a similar age.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Offers for Duchene will continue to go down as Sakic has his hand forced to fold. Rightfully or not Joe was greedy and now he is getting burned. His best offer that wasn't good enough will be better than what he accepts now.

Im betting the Canes wait until they see Fleury in action at Traverse before making an offer. If Fleury looks ready, I'd Hanifin for Duchene or Fleury and Roy. Like it or not opposing GMs have all the bargaining power now. Joe screwed the pooch on this one.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Offers for Duchene will continue to go down as Sakic has his hand forced to fold. Rightfully or not Joe was greedy and now he is getting burned. His best offer that wasn't good enough will be better than what he accepts now.

Im betting the Canes wait until they see Fleury in action at Traverse before making an offer. If Fleury looks ready, I'd Hanifin for Duchene or Fleury and Roy. Like it or not opposing GMs have all the bargaining power now. Joe screwed the pooch on this one.

Unlikely that the Avs cave if you have been paying attention. Duchene will be suspended without pay and sit out. The Avs in the past would rather risk getting nothing eventually than lose these types of battles with their players.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
And, from a business standpoint, no, there is no objective reason to deviate from the plan yet. I don't give a **** if he's unhappy, he's under contract. If he doesn't want to honor that contract, he's welcome to retire. Otherwise, he needs to show up, do his job, and help management find a reasonable and mutually beneficial solution to his problem, on whatever timeline makes the most sense for everyone.

You are not being objective. You literally just said he can retire. You would rather he just quit hockey all together than deviate from the plan, one which isn't going to work. That's not objective. That's stubborn stupidity. That's a 100% emotionally driven decision.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Some defenders who were 25-26 years old were offered up in trade proposals here and a lot of Avs posters said that was too old for the rebuild!

Also, to be fair, Carter's career stats at the time were better than Duchene's to this point at a similar age.

Carter was, and is, a much harder player than Duchene. Still don't think Duchene will return more than what Hall did last year - a solid stay at home d. That's kind of what the Avs need anyway.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Unlikely that the Avs cave if you have been paying attention. Duchene will be suspended without pay and sit out. The Avs in the past would rather risk getting nothing eventually than lose these types of battles with their players.

Which is fine but they are only further the decline of his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad