Speculation: Matt Duchene Megathread pt3 - All News/Proposals Go Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Kicking the tires on this again. I've been a proponent of the "we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, so lets not assume things." in regards to this Duchene/Sakic fiasco, but this is the first I have seen Duchene really come out publicly saying he basically wants out.

The Avs insider guys have been calling for his head for months, but are at an all time high now after a quote from Duchene:

"My identity will be with a team come training camp. I don't know what team that is yet."

I hate to beat a dead horse again in regards to this, but I would not be surprised if we see this finally go down soon.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Here are some of my "non typical" proposals. Staying away from the regular Columbus/Nashville/NYI destinations.

Matt Duchene(50% retention) to Calgary for Bennett + Valimaki + Parsons. Would have added Brouwer instead of Duchene retention but there's no way he waives to go to CO.

Matt Duchene and Mark Barberio to Philadelphia for Sanheim + Lehtera + Hart + 2nd

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think he winds up in Montreal somehow. I think Bergevin will get desperate enough to find a way to make it happen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I like Duchene's attitude. I'm rooting for him to do well on whatever his new team is.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I like Duchene's attitude. I'm rooting for him to do well on whatever his new team is.

I'd be surprised if there's anyone rooting against the guy aside from a few bitter Avs fans over his play down the stretch.

He's a very likable player who wears his heart on his sleeve. Which is also one of his greatest weaknesses as a player.

I thought he would be an Av for life before, he just had that charisma that he could make anything happen on the ice and would do whatever the team needed to succeed. It's a shame the wheels fell off just as he hit his prime and the team had some legitimate talent. I thought similarly of Staz though... so there's that.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think he winds up in Montreal somehow. I think Bergevin will get desperate enough to find a way to make it happen.

Not really sure what Montreal has to offer for Duchene. Gallagher/Pacioretty would not interest the Avalanche. Not sure they have the prospect depth to trade for him based on Sakic's asking price. Not sure if Galchenyuk would interest them or not but he is only 23 so maybe

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Here are some of my "non typical" proposals. Staying away from the regular Columbus/Nashville/NYI destinations.

Matt Duchene(50% retention) to Calgary for Bennett + Valimaki + Parsons. Would have added Brouwer instead of Duchene retention but there's no way he waives to go to CO.

Matt Duchene and Mark Barberio to Philadelphia for Sanheim + Lehtera + Hart + 2nd

I don't think hart and sanheim go. I know they play different positions. But with the Elliot and Nuvy deals for two years, it lines up in time when we expect Hart to be ready.

Unless Barberio can be sent down, we have no use for him. We already have a log jam of bottom 3 defenders.

I like the idea of acquiring Duchene. But I think Sanheim and Hart is too much a pill to swallow at this time.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

I have trouble seeing Calgary gutting their prospect base at this point. That's basically the equivalent of 3 first round picks for Duchene, even at 50%. I think the Flames are fine at center right now and with them trading a bunch of picks, they're not going to trade those prospects.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think hart and sanheim go. I know they play different positions. But with the Elliot and Nuvy deals for two years, it lines up in time when we expect Hart to be ready.

Unless Barberio can be sent down, we have no use for him. We already have a log jam of bottom 3 defenders.

I like the idea of acquiring Duchene. But I think Sanheim and Hart is too much a pill to swallow at this time.

I quickly looked at capfriendly to see only 2 LHD on the current active roster which is why I added Barberio but I didn't even look at the names to see Ghost/Amac listed as RHD. I figured Barbs would battle with Manning as Philly's 2nd best LHD but that's clearly not the case. I also didn't consider that one of the kiddos might be ready to step up too. Who do you think is closer out of Morin and Hagg?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I love the Calgary deal and Habs traded their most wanted prospect, but somehow believe the same teams (no need to reiterate the 000s of offered posts already) will be making a push NYI, CBJ, NSH and maybe Car.

Just don't want to hear from Leaf fans and their proposals whereby all their players and prospects are near franchise levels.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have trouble seeing Calgary gutting their prospect base at this point. That's basically the equivalent of 3 first round picks for Duchene, even at 50%. I think the Flames are fine at center right now and with them trading a bunch of picks, they're not going to trade those prospects.

It definitely disrupts the prospect pool, but the Flames just traded a 1st and two 2nd's for Travis Hamonic. Don't think it's crazy to think they might trade those 3 pieces for Duchene.

I feel like the Flames showed this offseason that they're ready to start making a push for it. That doesn't mean they're going to trade all their futures in a win now move. And trust me, I realize this is a really future heavy trade for Duchene. They're just an outside team nobody talks about that I think have the youth to get the job done. Plus Duchene doesn't have to play centre. He could play RW on that top line. I think another high end offensive piece is the one Calgary currently lacks the most.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I can't see it happening. The price on Duchene is supposedly very high. What does MTL have left to meet that price now that they've moved Sergachev?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I quickly looked at capfriendly to see only 2 LHD on the current active roster which is why I added Barberio but I didn't even look at the names to see Ghost/Amac listed as RHD. I figured Barbs would battle with Manning as Philly's 2nd best LHD but that's clearly not the case. I also didn't consider that one of the kiddos might be ready to step up too. Who do you think is closer out of Morin and Hagg?

Its widely believed that Hagg will make the team this year, but moreso as a depth defenseman, bottom pairing. Theres a real possibility that all 3 of Sanheim, Morin and Hagg make the team this year.

Ghost is a LHD but players better on the Right, so thats where he always plays.

I like Duchene, and think hes a great player, but the flyers cant afford to pay the Avs price until their own D is fixed. Getting Patrick at the draft has also greatly reduced the 'need' for Duchene as well. I'd feel comfortable saying that Philadelphia would not be in on Duchene at this point, unless the price was drastically reduced (and it shouldnt be).

Edit: There's also the issue of re-signing him in two years, when Simmonds, Provorov, and Konecny will need new deals. Konecny shouldnt be too difficult to work out, Provorov, if he continues along will likely get the standard top pair birdge deal around 6, and Simmonds is a wild card. Personally, i dont feel comfortable giving him more than 5 years (at age 30), but the less years,the higher the AAV, because the dude deserves to get paid. Adding duchene to that mix makes it very tricky.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Even with retention on Duchene, I'm not going to give a cost-controlled Bennett and two of our best prospects for 2 years of Duchene.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Montreal needs to obtain some pieces if they still want Duchene. I can't blame them for nabbing Drouin with Sergachev, love me some Drouin, but they're still screwed down the middle. The Drouin at center experiment won't last long IMO.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I can't see that happening, Bozak outscored Duchene afterall.

And Bosak is better on face offs, and PK, and defensively. Even with those stats, I think Duchene is worth more than Bosak.
I just see a trading partner for Duchene. Will a team give up a top young Dman (like the Habs did to get Drouin) for him? I don't see it. Sakic should settle for two seconds, and get it done.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Even with retention on Duchene, I'm not going to give a cost-controlled Bennett and two of our best prospects for 2 years of Duchene.

Of course not. But no team willing to give up the assets required to get Duchene would do it with the intention of not signing him to an extension. If a team was planning on using him for two years and letting him walk they would never be involved in the first place.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
And Bosak is better on face offs, and PK, and defensively. Even with those stats, I think Duchene is worth more than Bosak.
I just see a trading partner for Duchene. Will a team give up a top young Dman (like the Habs did to get Drouin) for him? I don't see it. Sakic should settle for two seconds, and get it done.

Hmm, Bozak is better than Duchene on faceoffs? I wasn't sure if this was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek remark.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The two teams that should overpay to get Duchene are the Habs and Rangers. I am not saying Duchene is an elite center, but he would easily be No. 1 center on these teams, who have a gaping hole in that position.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The two teams that should overpay to get Duchene are the Habs and Rangers. I am not saying Duchene is an elite center, but he would easily be No. 1 center on these teams, who have a gaping hole in that position.

Neither of those teams have the pieces to make it happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad