Matt Calvert

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't know what my tipping point is with Calvert as far as dollars/term. But I do know that he embodies Jackets hockey. I love that kid.

I agree that he is Jackets hockey all the time. I think/hope he is seen as valuable enough for a 3 year deal at around 2.5 aav max. If we can keep him at that price I see him as a very valuable guy

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
If he's such a "glue guy" and the salary/years start to become a problem then who do you move out of the organization in favor of him? Hartnell? I mean, you could.. but we've seen how valuable his veteran presence can be around young guys. Anisimov? Yeah, I suppose that's a likely scenario. He'd clear enough cap room to fit in Matty's new contract and his absence wouldn't likely leave a hole in our roster. Or is he another "glue guy"?

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
We looking for TOP2 D( read off site). I guess we trade Arty before next season and Bourque before trade deadline.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Agreed. Don't downplay his contributions. Dano looks to be cut from a similar mold, could be future "glue guy", but why risk cutting Calvert loose? If it's down to Letestu or Calvert, the decision should be simple.
This isn't about choosing between Letestu or Calvert, it's about choosing between an overpaid Calvert (for his assumed role) or a compensation draft pick.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
3 million is my absolute cap for Calvert. He brings a lot of energy and he's one of the first to stick up for a teammate, but in terms of on ice production he just isn't that valuable.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I still see AA as the odd man out simply because he is not going to be 4th line center and Wennberg and Dubi will be 2 and 3. I would let AA go, buy out Boll, and use that money to make a play at $2.25M for Calvert and $2.5M for Letestu. That said, I don't know if it plays.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I still see AA as the odd man out simply because he is not going to be 4th line center and Wennberg and Dubi will be 2 and 3. I would let AA go, buy out Boll, and use that money to make a play at $2.25M for Calvert and $2.5M for Letestu. That said, I don't know if it plays.

Makes perfect sense.

Won't be done.:laugh:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If he's such a "glue guy" and the salary/years start to become a problem then who do you move out of the organization in favor of him? Hartnell? I mean, you could.. but we've seen how valuable his veteran presence can be around young guys. Anisimov? Yeah, I suppose that's a likely scenario. He'd clear enough cap room to fit in Matty's new contract and his absence wouldn't likely leave a hole in our roster. Or is he another "glue guy"?

We just dumped Wiz's salary and in a year will be free of Bourque. No real need to try to clear cap room as long as AAV isn't a massive overpayment of Calvert.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
We just dumped Wiz's salary and in a year will be free of Bourque. No real need to try to clear cap room as long as AAV isn't a massive overpayment of Calvert.
And we're looking to upgrade our defense which likely comes with a big contract or a young player who will get a big contract very soon. Raises are in order for Jenner, Savard, Murray, etc. Dubinsky, Foligno, Bobrovsky, and Atkinson all have their cap hits going up ~2m each next season.

The cap decreasing or stagnating won't do us any favors. You've always got to keep cap implications in mind, especially when you're not in immediate danger. Letting cap implications slip to the back of your mind is how you end up in immediate cap danger and then you end up trading a valuable piece for lesser parts that might not even combine to be worth equal value. For example, Nick Leddy. Traded for chump change and now he's flourished in a top pairing role with the Isles.

The Commodore buyout coming off of the books provides some relief and might give us the necessary wiggle room to appropriate funds for a sizeable raise to Calvert but I genuinely don't think the team can afford to shell out 2.5m+/yr to this guy when we've got cheaper, healthier players ready to fill his role. I'm saying this as someone who loves Calvert.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We have over $9 million in cap space right now if the cap doesn't move. With basically a 7th D, backup G, and 1-2 more forwards to sign.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
And we're looking to upgrade our defense which likely comes with a big contract or a young player who will get a big contract very soon. Raises are in order for Jenner, Savard, Murray, etc. Dubinsky, Foligno, Bobrovsky, and Atkinson all have their cap hits going up ~2m each next season.

The cap decreasing or stagnating won't do us any favors. You've always got to keep cap implications in mind, especially when you're not in immediate danger. Letting cap implications slip to the back of your mind is how you end up in immediate cap danger and then you end up trading a valuable piece for lesser parts that might not even combine to be worth equal value. For example, Nick Leddy. Traded for chump change and now he's flourished in a top pairing role with the Isles.

The Commodore buyout coming off of the books provides some relief and might give us the necessary wiggle room to appropriate funds for a sizeable raise to Calvert but I genuinely don't think the team can afford to shell out 2.5m+/yr to this guy when we've got cheaper, healthier players ready to fill his role. I'm saying this as someone who loves Calvert.

I'm in the same boat, we have to hope Letestu and Calvert can be had combined for around 4.5 million.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm in the same boat, we have to hope Letestu and Calvert can be had combined for around 4.5 million.

If you want both back, then we need to find a way to get rid of Tropp/Boll/Bourque. Perhaps bury Tropp in Cleveland, but it's still a minor cap hit.

No 7th D signed or backup G. Have to factor that in to the potential cap as well.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I think so, it will be close though and we may have to give them some years. I'd rather see Boll bought out than either of these guys not get signed.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
I think so, it will be close though and we may have to give them some years. I'd rather see Boll bought out than either of these guys not get signed.

I can see Arty being trade for D help, so that covers Clarkson's spot, Morin and Borque can fight over the 4th line spot. Tropp goes to Cleveland. Not a bad spot. Borque is gone after the end of next season so that's over 3 mill available. We're gonna quickly become a cap team if we want to be competitive. Gotta hope Clarkson can pull some of this weight.

And of course, buy out Boll, that would help with some cap hit, but who knows if they're willing to do it.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Everything will work itself out with Calvert and Letestu's contract situation. Jarmo/JD put the writing on the wall for us in terms of Jared Boll. I honestly see Boll being bought out, and Tropp waived/sent to CLE. Plus Bourque's contract comes off the books after next season. Even though some players will be due for raises, I don't see us in a cap situation like what the Hawks, Rags, and Bruins have/are/will be in - even with Clarkson's contract (albeit an albatross). Sure we may be a "cap team", but I don't think we'll be strapped. There will be some flexibility with trades/waiving players/etc.

With that being said, I see Calvert and Letestu both being brought back for a combined AAV of ~5MM. (2.75 for Testy, 2-2.25 for Calvert bc of his RFA status)

For the people who are worried about Clarkson's production, look past what he is making. He will be fine getting 3rd-4th line minutes with capable line mates (sorry this is off topic)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad