Matt Calvert

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
Lets get it started. Where do you think his roster spot will be this year and production we could expect to see from him.

25g 19A third line on healthy roster if not a easy second line fill

2 SH 6PP goals

let the discussion begin

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Before we get further into this let's keep in mind that we don't have a traditional second-third line structure. Calvert plays on Dubi's line, which some call second, some third, but its not a little job, and Calvert already plays 16 minutes a night.

I think 17g, 23a is realistic.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gritty all heart player. He's a top 9 player, I think he has a class to 20 goal season.

18 goals 20 assists 38 points

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I think he is a great 3rd line guy (provided he's the smallest player on the line) who is skilled enough to fill in on the 2nd line. I could see him cracking 20g (in his prime) but his size will always hold him back. But that doesn't mean he's worthless, he's got great hockey IQ, determination and I love his willingness to stand up for teammate.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I can't help but see him as a 3rd liner. He's not huge but he's not really tiny either. He's got the ability to score a bit and he's got some speed/aggressiveness to his game. He's yet to prove, in my eyes, that he's anything other than a 3rd liner (on a playoff worthy team).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can't help but see him as a 3rd liner. He's not huge but he's not really tiny either. He's got the ability to score a bit and he's got some speed/aggressiveness to his game. He's yet to prove, in my eyes, that he's anything other than a 3rd liner (on a playoff worthy team).

What does this mean? On our team there isn't a second liner/ third liner distinction. Are you saying he can't score at a second line pace if given a second line role? Just clarifying.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What does this mean? On our team there isn't a second liner/ third liner distinction. Are you saying he can't score at a second line pace if given a second line role? Just clarifying.

I don't know about Finn but I don't see him scoring at a 2nd line pace if given the opportunity. I think he tops out as a third liner and if guys develop as hoped for I could see him being a 4th liner on a very deep team.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I'm not saying Calvert couldn't put up 40+ points for a few seasons but I don't think he'd ever be considered a true 2nd liner, if that helps. I just think he'll always be considered a 3rd liner/middle six tweener.

If he proves me wrong I certainly wouldn't mind. I love the guy.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Calvert could surprise us and score as a 2nd line winger, but it would be a surprise for a reason. We aren't expecting it, I don't think.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think I get where people are at with respect to expectations for Calvert. It's just tricky because of the different ways we define "second liner", "third liner", etc...

Take note that the projections people put up at the top of this post (~40 pts) are normal for second liners, even on teams much better than ours. But that could be different than your definition of "second liner".

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He's a coaches dream, can play on any line, PK and even some PP, I think we'll see Matt play on possibly all 4 lines are the season plays out, regardless he'll see ~15 minutes a night and 20 goals is doable, but that's not all he'll bring to the ice.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Most overrated guy on the team. Lots of hustle, minimal offensive skills. No chance for 20 goals. No chance at all. Great third liner. But that is what he is, a good, very gritty, third line NHL player. Period. End the romance.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Most overrated guy on the team. Lots of hustle, minimal offensive skills. No chance for 20 goals. No chance at all. Great third liner. But that is what he is, a good, very gritty, third line NHL player. Period. End the romance.

Do you want me to save this post for later?

Calvert has already scored at about a 20 goal pace in a couple of his half seasons. There should be nothing shocking about him hitting that number, unless you doubt he'll ever play a fully healthy season. And he's fully capable of embarrassing the other team's defenders.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

if he's a "great third liner" and "a good, very gritty, third line NHL player" how is he the most overrated guy? I don't really see ppl saying to put him on 1st line anymore...I think he's just rated...he is a really good third liner, that we can play on the 2nd in a pinch...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you want me to save this post for later?

Calvert has already scored at about a 20 goal pace in a couple of his half seasons. There should be nothing shocking about him hitting that number, unless you doubt he'll ever play a fully healthy season. And he's fully capable of embarrassing the other team's defenders.

Best i calculate is about 21 and that was in his first year. I see him more as a 15 g guy.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

He certainly isn't a lock for 20 goals, but I don't think it's out of the question. And as Fro pointed out, it seems like everyone rates him as a third liner who can fill in when needed. I don't see how that's overrating him.

Oh, and whatever "romance" anyone has for him has to do with the fact that he's an easy guy to root for. He's a feisty little rat who plays bigger than he is and sticks up for teammates. And many of us have been following him since before he was even drafted, if not closely thereafter. He's got a great story and has come a long way.

He also has a surprising shot and has a knack for fetching the puck in the offensive zone and creating chances – something that doesn't really show up on the scoresheet. He's a great complimentary player. Not to mention he has pulled off some pretty nice moves to set himself up.

Again, he's just an easy kid to root for all around.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
His shot is certainly good enough to get 20+ goals. However he isn't going to do it if he continues to only put a shot or two per game on goal. He certainly has more offensive skill than EDM gives him credit before. When he uses that speed he can create huge problems for the other team. We saw more of that earlier in his career, we say little of it last season.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Matt Calvert dropped em with Rick Nash after Nash's bush league shove of Bob. My heart skipped a beat and I ain't ashamed to say it.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Matt Calvert dropped em with Rick Nash after Nash's bush league shove of Bob. My heart skipped a beat and I ain't ashamed to say it.

And has our franchise's first ever game winning playoff goal. He's all heart and has the talent to back it from the third line, and I'm not bashing him in saying that. The league needs more Matty Calverts.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

This looks like an attention-starved post ... get over it. Calvert is going to be a very similar player to Nick Foligno, size aside. He's already damn close.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
His problem will be his size. If he gets pushed around, like bla mentions he's not going to get a ton of opportunities, he's going to have to work real hard to get those chance. Which the good thing is his tenacity, he just has to careful to not be to wreckless or else he's going to spend most his time on the IR.

And Nash's shove was not bush league, Bob slashed his stick away, he reacted in the way I would expect any Jackets player to react if a goalie slashes their stick out of their hands and thats to go right after the goalie.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
His problem will be his size. If he gets pushed around, like bla mentions he's not going to get a ton of opportunities, he's going to have to work real hard to get those chances...

His size is certainly his weakness, but I don't remember seeing him get manhandled that often. I would guess that Brassard, for example, who outweighed Matt by 20 pounds, lost more puck battles in any one month than Calvert has in his entire NHL career!

In case it escaped you, I didn't think much of Brass!

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
This coming from a guy who watched just about every single game last year matt calvert still has a lot more to show in his game. He has an ability to play in just in situation and hold his own. I feel like the worst part about his game is his bad puck luck. I have seen him in numerous situations where he is poised for an easy goal then the pucks takes a wierd hop of the stick forcing him to not get the shot off, or a fluke stick check that more times than not wouldn't have happened. If Calvert increases is size a little without giving up his speed and tenaciousness i feel he will be a huge asset to this club now and for the future. When i think of blue jacket hockey the first names that come to my mind are dubinsky, calvert, and jenner. I know i am an overly optimistic jacket fan but i would be truly shocked if calvert didn't produce over 20g this season especially if he is still playing on a line with dubinsky those guys work well together.

zmancartfan

Jan 21, 2011
Medina, OH
I am not a stats guy, nor am I someone who watches players for production numbers, line placement, or cap hits. What I am is a first-puck-drop Jackets fan who has seen darn near every game they've ever played. I follow the Jackets not only as a former Columbus resident but also as a hockey fan.

To me, Calvert IS the Jackets.

I love that he plays bigger than his size. I love that he is always trying to make something happen. I love his heart, soul, grit, and determination. Basically, I love that he embodies to me what the Jackets are as a team and as an organization.

I was there for the hat trick against Phoenix (Matty's Natty Hatty?), and I've truly enjoyed watching him ever since. He honestly is my favorite player on the ice. Even my kids will cheer for him when they see he's on the ice. I just wish they would make a Fathead of him so I could finally replace the giant Nash hanging over my son's bed.

Just hope he can have a full healthy season, so we could see his true impact.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
His size is certainly his weakness, but I don't remember seeing him get manhandled that often. I would guess that Brassard, for example, who outweighed Matt by 20 pounds, lost more puck battles in any one month than Calvert has in his entire NHL career!

In case it escaped you, I didn't think much of Brass!

I will return the favor "Pete" - good post.

I see Calvert as a key cog, generally on 3rd line for upcoming season.
He can score, has some skill, but needs to produce more if he's to be regular top 6. Hope he does!
And it didn't escape me - and agree - didn't think much of Brass. Try not to think of him at all now! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad