Matt Calvert

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I am not a stats guy, nor am I someone who watches players for production numbers, line placement, or cap hits. What I am is a first-puck-drop Jackets fan who has seen darn near every game they've ever played. I follow the Jackets not only as a former Columbus resident but also as a hockey fan.

To me, Calvert IS the Jackets.

I love that he plays bigger than his size. I love that he is always trying to make something happen. I love his heart, soul, grit, and determination. Basically, I love that he embodies to me what the Jackets are as a team and as an organization.

I was there for the hat trick against Phoenix (Matty's Natty Hatty?), and I've truly enjoyed watching him ever since. He honestly is my favorite player on the ice. Even my kids will cheer for him when they see he's on the ice. I just wish they would make a Fathead of him so I could finally replace the giant Nash hanging over my son's bed.

Just hope he can have a full healthy season, so we could see his true impact.

I agree that Calvert is the Jackets...I think the passion that is coming out in several threads is that there are several who ARE the Jackets. Dubi, Jenner (already), Jack. along with Matty. And there are others that seem almost there (RyanM, Foligno...and I am eternal optimist, but just the way that Horton and Hartnell came in, wanting to be here....
Those aren't intended to take away from your passion for Matty, you are spot on.
But the whole franchise looks and feels different...:handclap:.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I will return the favor "Pete" - good post.

I see Calvert as a key cog, generally on 3rd line for upcoming season.
He can score, has some skill, but needs to produce more if he's to be regular top 6. Hope he does!
And it didn't escape me - and agree - didn't think much of Brass. Try not to think of him at all now! :)

That seems like an excellent approach!

zmancartfan

Jan 21, 2011
Medina, OH
But the whole franchise looks and feels different...:handclap:.

Completely agree. But there's something about Matty that to me makes him the best example of the entire change.

Maybe it's because I'm 6'7", and he's, um, a lot shorter than that. I guess I just value that "little engine that could" quality Calvert has.

I was an assistant coach for my son's fifth grade football team last year. There was one boy, George, who was significantly shorter than all of the other kids on the team and most other teams we played. But George had the biggest heart and passion on the team. He was never afraid to take on anyone, regardless of size. I remember saying on more than one occasion that if it was up to me I would field a team of Georges.

I really like that we're starting to see a team of Mattys - of lots of different sizes.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Completely agree. But there's something about Matty that to me makes him the best example of the entire change.

Maybe it's because I'm 6'7", and he's, um, a lot shorter than that. I guess I just value that "little engine that could" quality Calvert has.

I was an assistant coach for my son's fifth grade football team last year. There was one boy, George, who was significantly shorter than all of the other kids on the team and most other teams we played. But George had the biggest heart and passion on the team. He was never afraid to take on anyone, regardless of size. I remember saying on more than one occasion that if it was up to me I would field a team of Georges.

I really like that we're starting to see a team of Mattys - of lots of different sizes.

There's something to him being "ours," too. Dubi, JJ, Foligno, whomever, started somewhere else. Jenner is "ours" too, but younger.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thanks. That's the first time I've heard the HNIC call. A little understated, but hey, it's Canadian. :sarcasm:

That's the CBC broadcast ... that's probably my favorite broadcast team in all of sports, for the exact reason you mentioned. They call things even keeled, and are very knowledgeable about everyone.

I honestly get tired of the Mike Emerick screaming into the mic at every scoring chance.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Man, Fleury had two really nice saves there.

That goal has it all. Dubinsky winning a physical battle behind the net, Cam finding space and getting a good shot on goal, and Matty buzzing around the net eluding defensemen.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Hey Jackets fans, just wondering what you're predictions are for Calvert this year and where will he play in you're lineup?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Probably 35-40 points if he plays a full season.

He'll bounce between lines. We've had a 1a,1b,1c thing going on for quite a bit. Think he'll average around 15-17 minutes of ice time, like last season.

thebus2288*

Love the hype and all the Jenner votes, but I gotta go with the guy thats more offensively skilled, older, a better player, and I think gained a ton of confidence against the Pens in the playoffs. Very underrated all around guy that most CBJ fans don't even see as a skilled guy. Sad really. Would look awesome next to Johansen. Most fans of other teams seem to know who Atkinson is but don't know a thing about Matty Calvert. Dude is the real deal. Next Marchand.

thebus2288*

I just copied what I posted in the "Dark Horse Breakout Candidate" thread a couple weeks back. I think these 3 goals show that he does have above average offensive skill and speed. It also shows some of his strength from even a couple years ago. The Keith/Leddy 1 is probably my overall favorite however the chip n bat goal is probably the most impressive. The 1st 1 he actually blocks it with his stick perfectly and makes a very slick move to get past a guy who mostly everyone has seen as a top 5 defenseman the last few years. As he gets past a lunging/flat footed Keith he gets in an almost even race with Leddy and gets a step on him before he knocks him to the ice like he wasn't even there. The bat in goal is just as impressive for the opposite reasons. The play is 100% intentional. He knows the guy is there and flips it over his stick before batting it in before anybody can really even react. To do that at that speed and in traffic is not easy at all.

Go to 9:55 in the video. A couple more clips that show some "things".

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Love the hype and all the Jenner votes, but I gotta go with the guy thats more offensively skilled, older, a better player, and I think gained a ton of confidence against the Pens in the playoffs. Very underrated all around guy that most CBJ fans don't even see as a skilled guy. Sad really. Would look awesome next to Johansen. Most fans of other teams seem to know who Atkinson is but don't know a thing about Matty Calvert. Dude is the real deal. Next Marchand.

I agree with most of what you said, except I really can't agree that he's more offensively skilled and a better player than Jenner. Love Matty, but he's not better then Jenner. Jenner outplayed him as a rookie with a lot of room to grow.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
This looks like an attention-starved post ... get over it. Calvert is going to be a very similar player to Nick Foligno, size aside. He's already damn close.

I like both these guys, but not sure I see the comparison. (But admittedly may miss your intent). Both have hockey skills - just different. I see Calvert more a north south quickness guy who will fight on the corners and has sniper skills. I see Foligno as a puck dangler who can cleverly weave through seams and create skating paths, effective at setting up others while creating shot opportunities. But I do agree both as productive guys who I like on my team.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think Calvert is an excellent forechecker. He has created many a scoring chance off of the forecheck.

I look at him as a natural 3rd line guy. Grit, hard worker, excellent forechecker, proper amount of minutes, and some scoring touch. Plus, he can move up to fill in on the 2nd line in a pinch.

I think he is a 15-20 goal guy depending on the make-up of his line.

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
Mark my words i GUARANTEE Calvert gets over 20 goals this year. If i am wrong please save this post and throw it in my face later :p:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Mark my words i GUARANTEE Calvert gets over 20 goals this year. If i am wrong please save this post and throw it in my face later :p:

Been one of the biggest Calvert fans out there since he started playing here, but I won't go as far to "guarantee" he will get over 20 goals. For one, I think he would have to remain completely "healthy" the entire season to reach the 20 goal mark. I don't think he could afford to miss 10 games here and there or to be slowed down at all. I think he will max out somewhere between 15-19.

thebus2288*

I agree with most of what you said, except I really can't agree that he's more offensively skilled and a better player than Jenner. Love Matty, but he's not better then Jenner. Jenner outplayed him as a rookie with a lot of room to grow.

We're probably gonna have to disagree, but what exactly about Jenner's game makes you feel that way? He had 5 more points playing in 15 more games in a more "scoring" role playing mainly with Johansen. The difference in value to our team and skill isn't much, but there's things(shown in all 4 videos) that Calvert can do offensively that Jenner can not. On the forecheck they are nearly even also. I'd say the little bit of weight/strength Calvert gives up to Jenner is made up by the speed he has over him. The only thing Jenner has over Calvert is his size/weight and his ability to crash the net a little better. Passing and reading plays Jenner isn't much worse, but I'd say that Calvert is definitely more creative with and without the puck. For these reasons I think we should see a swap of Jenner and Calvert on the lines this year. I think the speed and creativity of Calvert would mesh well with Johan and Foligno and they could be more offensive minded while being 100% reliable in the defensive zone. And Jenner's ability to actually GET to the dirty areas and just the way he seems to be able to literally "crash" the net and slot area would open things up a bit more for Atkinson and Dubinsky down low where they seem to flourish.

thebus2288*

I also want to add that while the CBJ may have it spread out a little more evenly and fully through 3 lines, most teams in the league don't have a "top line" or "top-6" anymore. Matt Calvert could or would play on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line on 90% of the teams in the league and it wouldn't matter who his linemates were or what role the line was asked to fill. That is a legit attribute. The only teams he couldn't play on the top line would be those with coaches who like to load up on 1 line.

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
couldn't agree more. he was a point a game for the wheat kings i think people tend to forget that. i know its now the nhl but he can produce more than he has shown.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
First of all, are you guaranteeing 15 or 20? There is a big difference.

If it is 20, Jordan, I will be here to throw it in your face. Guaranteeing 20 goals from Calvert is ludicrous. 15 is possible. Guaranteeing 20 ?????

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Calvert scores at about a 20 goal pace, and with a little powerplay time and a full season he could easily hit it. Predicting that pace is not a reach at all. What might be a reach is predicting a full season. The guy's game isn't conducive to good health.

jordanwill21

Jul 6, 2014
i truly do wonder about some of you supposed experts. I am done arguing this subject but i will leave you with this. If UMBERGER can get 18 the year before, you are telling me that calvert wont produce as much as umberger did the year before?????Unless he is hurt half the season i dont see why he doesn't get more than 20 g. check this. if he is healthy all season and plays 80 games all he has to do is score a goal every four games. doesn't seem insurmountable at all to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad