Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I liked his game last year, still think that contract is too pricey but nothing I can do about it.

He had his best statistical year prior to signing on with Boston and he cashed in, same as I expect from Eaves this coming summer but two players like this have a history, and history tells us their production will tend to lean more towards where the player has been their entire career, not where they got to in one excellent season

I don`t know why I feel this way but I think the B`s are squeezing him out and in IMO, who, on this lineup right now is he capable of playing better than? He**, even Hayes is playing hockey that doesn` t upset my stomach

He did cash in but the contract when signed was considered a good AAV. This year is a down season for a number of factora as wbc8 writes. Ifbhe can bounce back to 15 goals and solid all around play, then to me it's not a bad contract. If he can't crack the lineup next year I'll be very surprised and disappointed.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Beleskey will rebound next year. This year was terrible. Seemed out of shape to start, then got saddled with a bad center iceman, then the injury. I love the idea of sitting him out and seeing what sort of pride he has to turn this around next year.

He had the 22 goal year playing with Ryan Kesler primarily. Not sure who can draw 20 goals out of him here. He doesn't belong with Bergeron or Krejci.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He did cash in but the contract when signed was considered a good AAV. This year is a down season for a number of factora as wbc8 writes. Ifbhe can bounce back to 15 goals and solid all around play, then to me it's not a bad contract. If he can't crack the lineup next year I'll be very surprised and disappointed.

I`m not sure he can "crack" the lineup now

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
I think a 4th line of Belesky - Moore - Hayes would work - even this year.
It potentially can be the 3rd best line on some nights. I just hope Matt isn't battling some injury that is hampering his play.

We would just need to get a new winger for Vatrano and Spooner - which is what I think is the plan come deadline day.

Nash's penalty kill minutes can be replaced by Spooner. Nice to see Cassidy giving Ryan the confidence to do this.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Thank God you aren't the GM.

Let's move on from a possible/likely mistake by making another and giving up a young player that didn't do much in his whopping 8 game NHL cameo.

It's a good thing this kind of thinking wasn't used when Marchand struggled in his initial NHL stint.

I thank God every day.
The Blackhawks had to part with a legitimate player in Terravainen to deal Bickell (Identical player to Beleskey). Heinen would be a small loss. Especially compared to that deal.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thank God every day.
The Blackhawks had to part with a legitimate player in Terravainen to deal Bickell (Identical player to Beleskey). Heinen would be a small loss. Especially compared to that deal.

I`m not so 49 games as a Pro is ever enough for me to say, without hesitation, that a prospect would be a "small loss" if moved.

gvkmedia

Let’s fight through this….
Mar 2, 2002
Kingsville
www.hollandbloorview.ca
As a whole - this board was pretty excited to get Belesky at the price they got him.

I think I would waive him - send him to Providence for conditioning (embarrassment can have a good effect on a proud athlete) and then hope he can come back to make a decent contribution on a 4th line with Moore and Hayes.

It's the best case scenario.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
As a whole - this board was pretty excited to get Belesky at the price they got him.

I think I would waive him - send him to Providence for conditioning (embarrassment can have a good effect on a proud athlete) and then hope he can come back to make a decent contribution on a 4th line with Moore and Hayes.

Rather just play Schaller-Moore-Nash

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

When it was rumored 5/25 going into feee agency and we came out under 4 Sweeney was lauded in most circles. His first year he was absolutely worth it. He can be again IMO

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When it was rumored 5/25 going into feee agency and we came out under 4 Sweeney was lauded in most circles. His first year he was absolutely worth it. He can be again IMO

I think so too. I'm not betting on it, but it's on Belesky. If he puts in the work during the off-season to improve his skating and his fitness/conditioning, he can get back to the level he was, or maybe even better.

He'll be 29 in the summer. It's not like his body has been destroyed by multiple injuries.

It's up to him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of tough if you're making 3.8 million and being a healthy scratch

Go read the Beleskey signing other than Everett Mike who hated the term it was well received

There is one poster who is killing Sweeney over this that was highly complimentary of the signing

I liked it but I'm the Avalanche of posters these days anyways so no biggie

Beleskey was good last year to me id expect him to return to that

He was a good player regardless of linemates in Duckville and last year so he has ability

I believe he can rebound BUT BUT BUT with the number of near ready left wingers I would try and move him

20/20 hindsight is a good thing and not directed at any 1 poster we all do it

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
You guys are tough!
Beleskey is coming back from a significant knee injury.
Give the guy a break.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For a laugh, imagine Beleseky + Backes money spent on D. oof.

Not sure why people keep lumping in Backes and Belesky.

One guy is a healthy scratch and looks like a borderline NHLer.

The other is scoring slightly below last seasons pace, and while hasn't been as good as expected, still has been a solid contributor for the most part.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

He was worth his contract last year. Not at all this year. He can rebound and hopefully he does. All it takes for him to redeem himself for his down year is score a big goal or two in the playoffs. Let's hope they make it first...

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

The other is scoring slightly below last seasons pace, and while hasn't been as good as expected, still has been a solid contributor for the most part.

I'm just finding my way to 10m in cap space, and saying if I had to spend it somewhere, that's where I move it. Give me 2 kids at their respective forward positions...

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Sweeney isn't exactly out the woods with Backes, either. Is he a bona fide top six player? He was once, but is he still? And for the next 5 years?

He's got Spooner/Vartano-like impact/numbers. Really sucks that Bergeron had such a sub par year; really would have helped if Backes had been able to cover for that.

No, it isn't far-fetched that criticism of the Backes deal follows closely behind the Beleskey deal. One is really bad; one is not really bad, but not really good, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad