Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Boychuk suffered the eye injury in early March. If it hadn't been as severe,if his Dr encouraged him to have additional surgery or give the eye more time to heal, the Isles would have been sitting there with less then $4m to extend three key rfas.
Snow deserves part of the blame for giving out several bad contracts,but Lou also deserves part of the blame. Those 4 yr contracts he gave to Uncle Leo ($3m per) and Hickey ($2.5m),have bitten the isles on the azz. Two yrs into the deals and Lou is shopping both due to a cap crunch.
Expect him to shop then next off-season too.
The Komarov and Hickey deals were dreadful but I think Lou panicked in the wake of Tamara's bolting.

But the Eberle and Lee deals are both pretty bad as well.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Komarov and Hickey deals were dreadful but I think Lou panicked in the wake of Tamara's bolting.

I am hoping Seattle will take Ebs in the expansion draft. His contract is not as large as Lee's. Be interesting to see if the Isles offer up a sweetener to Seattle.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I am hoping Seattle will take Ebs in the expansion draft. His contract is not as large as Lee's. Be interesting to see if the Isles offer up a sweetener to Seattle.
Except Ebs will probably screw with us and score 25 goals in 56 this year.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You are aware he has a Modified NTC clause and has a poison pill $7M cash salary next year - all specifically designed to AVOID him get selected.

Amazing how Isles fans whine all the time about no one wants to play for NYI, yet, here’s a guy that signed on and structured his deal to stay. But, he sucks, bad deal, not good enough, move him Lou, he’s another crap deal...:help:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Wait, so Lou who just patiently waited out the Barzal and three other player signings, panicked when Tavares left? May want to rethink that...

He signed and overpaid Leo as part of the culture change, he was the same guy that did the same thing for Toronto and their youthful stars in the making. So, he bought leadership, mentorship, and culture change. That’s what he valued to make that happen with a team like the Isles that were run like a circus.

Seems like the Isles have performed well during Komarovs time with NYI and let’s just say that Toronto has floundered since jettisoning it’s leadership (Martin, Komarov, and Marleau) in favor of the stats club.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You are aware he has a Modified NTC clause and has a poison pill $7M cash salary next year - all specifically designed to AVOID him get selected.

Amazing how Isles fans whine all the time about no one wants to play for NYI, yet, here’s a guy that signed on and structured his deal to stay. But, he sucks, bad deal, not good enough, move him Lou, he’s another crap deal...:help:

He is another crap contract.
He got a boatload of $ to stay.
stop acting as if he has been worth his extension. He hasn't been.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

1) Lou doesn't panic (see your avatar).
2) If he did panic and his reply was to sign Komarov and Hickey then I'd say he also went senile.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

So let me get this straight, you think Eberle signing with the Isles for $5.5M x 5yrs is demonstration of the desirability of the Isles organization to UFAs?? Personally, I think it's a demonstration of Jordan Eberle's desire to find job security and Lou realizing that no other available top 6 forwards were inclined to come here. Same thing with Lee.

Let's be clear, Isles fans don't whine, they lament the fact that no one good (as in elite or at least borderline elite) seems to want to come play for the NYI. Until that actually happens, they will be justified in their lamenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScaredStreit

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
So let me get this straight, you think Eberle signing with the Isles for $5.5M x 5yrs is demonstration of the desirability of the Isles organization to UFAs?? Personally, I think it's a demonstration of Jordan Eberle's desire to find job security and Lou realizing that no other available top 6 forwards were inclined to come here. Same thing with Lee.

Let's be clear, Isles fans don't whine, they lament the fact that no one good seems to want to come play for the NYI. Until that actually happens, they will be justified in their lamenting.

Hey Andrew Ladd was kind of good.. once.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The expansion draft is going to be fascinating given many teams' cap situation this next offseason. No matter who they specifically take they are going to bring another 81 million of cap space into the market which will help ease things a bit across the board.

That said man...Due to Covid/the flat cap situation, Seattle might be in a better position than Vegas was in terms of being able to maximize the talent they can receive if they play their cards right.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

Let's be clear, Isles fans don't whine, they lament the fact that no one good (as in elite or at least borderline elite) seems to want to come play for the NYI. Until that actually happens, they will be justified in their lamenting.
two years ago, when JT left, would say that we certainly were not a desired destination. ergo the Lee and Eberle slight overpayments. now, i am pretty sure that this is one of the places to go.

winning changes things.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
two years ago, when JT left, would say that we certainly were not a desired destination. ergo the Lee and Eberle slight overpayments. now, i am pretty sure that this is one of the places to go.

winning changes things.
If we can continue to demonstrate that we are a consistent winner and then make deep playoff runs that will undoubtedly help, as will the new building, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

winning changes things.
Along with stable, competent ownership and not hearing every 5 years that the team may have to move.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He is another crap contract.
He got a boatload of $ to stay.
stop acting as if he has been worth his extension. He hasn't been.
Yup, another crap contract. The best UFA RW that year decided to resign with the Isles before UFA. The Isles answer to him walking was another stop gap or maybe your buddy with skillz...

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Never said desireable. Just that a UFA RW averaging 20 goals a year is going to get paid as a UFA. He decided to stay with the Isles and re upped before UFA. Pretty rare for the Isles to sign such a player, let alone retain one.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Never said desireable. Just that a UFA RW averaging 20 goals a year is going to get paid as a UFA. He decided to stay with the Isles and re upped before UFA. Pretty rare for the Isles to sign such a player, let alone retain one.
No, you didn't use the specific word "desirable". You used the word "wants". Synonyms. Look it up. Your message was clear, Eberle made a choice to stay, he desired to stay on LI as opposed to "signing on" with the myriad of other suitors who were going to be banging down his door to avail themselves of his services for $5.5M per. I don't recall the buzz, but perhaps you could tell us who they were again?

This was an "I'm not going to do any better anywhere else" from Eberle's POV and a "we're not going to get anyone else better to sign here" from Lou's POV. The word we're actually looking for here is "resignation". We're married and neither one of us is going find anyone better so I guess we'll stay married.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
No, you didn't use the specific word "desirable". You used the word "wants". Synonyms. Look it up. Your message was clear, Eberle made a choice to stay, he desired to stay on LI as opposed to "signing on" with the myriad of other suitors who were going to be banging down his door to avail themselves of his services for $5.5M per. I don't recall the buzz, but perhaps you could tell us who they were again?

This was an "I'm not going to do any better anywhere else" from Eberle's POV and a "we're not going to get anyone else better to sign here" from Lou's POV. The word we're actually looking for here is "resignation". We're married and neither one of us is going find anyone better so I guess we'll stay married.
Ok, nice to see you added in all that extraneous info to help support your narrative.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ok, nice to see you added in all that extraneous info to help support your narrative.
Nice try. We're discussing Jordan Eberle and how he came to the decision to remain an Islander. I clarified my point of view but did I mention anything unrelated to that topic (extraneous), particularly as you presented it? Don't think so.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I really hope Eberle finds more consistency in his game this year and takes a step forward. The playoffs were rough, watching him miss on one golden opportunity after another.

If he doesn't improve and remains streaky, while other players cement their value to the Isles long term, they will have to think about trying to convince Seattle to select him in the expansion draft.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Read them. Did he ACTUALLY make such a trade, yes or no?

Lou had $3.9m to sign Barzal,Toews & Pulock.

Did Boychuk's unexpected LTIR save them from attaching sweeteners to other contracts?
I love this blind loyalty to Lou. He is so amazing that he would used his mafia like powers to dump major salary without having to attach sweeteners ?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The expansion draft is going to be fascinating given many teams' cap situation this next offseason. No matter who they specifically take they are going to bring another 81 million of cap space into the market which will help ease things a bit across the board.

That said man...Due to Covid/the flat cap situation, Seattle might be in a better position than Vegas was in terms of being able to maximize the talent they can receive if they play their cards right.

Depressing as it's gonna be ,I have pretty much accepted giving up a high pick to Seattle.All three of the isles impending rfas- Sorokin, Pelech and Beau are too important to see them dumped for magic beans like Toews was.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Nice try. We're discussing Jordan Eberle and how he came to the decision to remain an Islander. I clarified my point of view but did I mention anything unrelated to that topic (extraneous), particularly as you presented it? Don't think so.
And you know how he came to that decision? What the contract comparables were for his contract? But of course, he resigned himself to failure in the UFA so, of course, was elated to find Lou tossing out an overpayment money, so he decided to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad