Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I am less concerned with other teams bad contracts,then I am with Lou's bad contracts and the sweeteners he has to attach to move them.

I am an optimist, still think we can move a contract or two at trade deadline or next year. Assuming there is no cap after the deadline, people will have some more room next year, and people like Leo/Hickey will now be on last year of contract rather than 2 years left. Would not surprise me if we added someone at the deadline with an expiring contract if we needed that extra scoring punch for the playoffs.

but that is a problem for down the road happy right now.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am an optimist, still think we can move a contract or two at trade deadline or next year. Assuming there is no cap after the deadline, people will have some more room next year, and people like Leo/Hickey will now be on last year of contract rather than 2 years left. Would not surprise me if we added someone at the deadline with an expiring contract if we needed that extra scoring punch for the playoffs.

Down the road meaning by the TDL. Even further down the road the bad contracts come off the books themselves.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Yeah,I also think it will be easier to move Uncle Leo or Hickey when they only have 1 season left.
I would prefer to buyout Uncle Leo's$3.5m cap hit,but it's not my $.

Reactions: periferal

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

i can see us showcasing Bellows. he will need to be protected, in my estimation, and i don't think he will be. may as well get something for him, instead of losing him in the expansion.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
i can see us showcasing Bellows. he will need to be protected, in my estimation, and i don't think he will be. may as well get something for him, instead of losing him in the expansion.
Disagree. I think he will be protected should he prove to be a NHL player this season. Obviously if he doesn't prove he's a NHL capable player, his protection status will be relatively irrelevant.

I think they're going to try to pigeonhole Seattle into taking one of our older, more expensive players like Eberle or Leddy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This deal was probably on the table weeks ago, but Lou and Barry were working on a longer deal, Lou could not make up the capspace so this is the next best thing. Isles still do not have a player over 7M in cap hit. This is a real strength where the team can ice a deeper line up. Barzal could have held a gun to the Isles head, other high profile RFA players have held out. To me, he really did what was best for the team, and he also is a wealthy young man now. No more living in teammates basements.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

I’ve been busy replacing my Hot Water tank this morning so I’m late to the party.

Thank you to those who have been Posting the information regarding the reasons for the short term deal. It’s appears that Mr. Lamoriello wanted to work out a longer term but couldn’t make fit it into the budget. Very reasonable and reassuring to read this now that this Contract is done.

As I’ve mentioned before, always nice to visit with a knowledgeable fan base.

Best of luck as we approach the start of the season.

Congratulations on re-signing / extending your budding star (super star?)
96E695FF-A6D8-4EFC-9753-78B716CD217E.gif

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hi folks,

I’ve been busy replacing my Hot Water tank this morning so I’m late to the party.

Thank you to all of you who have been Posting the information regarding the reasons for the short term deal. It’s appears that Mr. Lamoriello wanted to work out a longer term but couldn’t make fit it into the budget. Very reasonable and reassuring to read this now that this Contract is done.

As I’ve mentioned before, always nice to visit with a knowledgeable fan base.

Best of luck as we approach the start of the season.

Congratulations on re-signing / extending your young buddy superstar:
View attachment 382931

Plus Nacho Fries are back at Taco Bell...

It's a good f***ing day! :thumbu:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
To be honest, getting Barzal for 7 million a year feels like a robbery. Poor guy was just born in the wrong year.

The Isles only managed to draft him due to a loaded draft class, an unfortunate fluke injury and the Bruins mistakes.

Same with Kyle Connor, Chabot, Boesser, Aho, etc. from that draft year. That draft class will go down as one of the best in NHL history.

Watching that draft live, I thought the Bruins were coming away with Barzal, Connor and one of Chabot or Colin White and would be a dynasty for the next 10-15+ years.

Reactions: periferal

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Isles only managed to draft him due to a loaded draft class, an unfortunate fluke injury and the Bruins mistakes.

Same with Kyle Connor, Chabot, Boesser, Aho, etc. from that draft year. That draft class will go down as one of the best in NHL history.

Watching that draft live, I thought the Bruins were coming away with Barzal, Connor and one of Chabot or Colin White and would be a dynasty for the next 10-15+ years.

The best part for me were the Rags fans that thought they were going to get Barzal with that #16 pick by trading Talbot. They truly believed it all the way into the trade announcement, "to the New York...". :laugh:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
This was the expected and reasonable deal that works out for both the player and team. A long-term deal would have been great, but the world and NHL climate have changed.

Especially if you use the Marner contract as a comp, which is more of an outlier by a bad GM who negotiated against himself multiple times.

The Isles offseason has pretty much gone as expected. Trotz clearly preferred Leddy to Toews as the LHD2, combined with the NHL playoff performance, contract and expansion, which made Toews ultimately expendable.

I thought both Ladd and Boychuk would go to LTIR, although I was thinking Boychuk would be able to return at some point. Ladd survives to play for a bit longer, but the clock might be ticking for him as well.

There will be better opportunities and avenues to dump salary later. The Isles are a deep team, young players will be given chances to step up this season and the Isles have futures to use as they see fit down the line.

Now, let's play some hockey!!!

Reactions: BrockLobster

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Here's the first draft: "BARZAL GOT OFF TO A SLOW START BECAUSE HE MISSED 6 DAYS OF CAMP":rant:

now that he signed for good $$$ he can take his foot off the gas pedal to extend his career.. now that’s just silly ....

Reading Molly Walker while sipping Johnny Walker Gold

Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The best part for me were the Rags fans that thought they were going to get Barzal with that #16 pick by trading Talbot. They truly believed it all the way into the trade announcement, "to the New York...". :laugh:
Oh yeah that was wild, poor guys. They probably would have taken another winger anyway

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Oh yeah that was wild, poor guys. They probably would have taken another winger anyway

I remember their draft thread like it was yesterday. They wanted Barzal badly, no mention of any other prospect. They legitimately were begging for the trade to Edmonton involving Talbot and they thought it happened and they were getting Barzal until the Islanders instead of their Rags was in the trade announcement. I was dying laughing.

If someone wants to look it up...

I'm too lazy to do it.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Lol, that was a classic moment in NHL draft history. Not to get off topic, but there is a large section of Rags fans who have always been deluded when trading players like Talbot, Raanta, Stepan, Lias Andersson, etc.

Reactions: PWJunior

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I remember their draft thread like it was yesterday. They wanted Barzal badly, no mention of any other prospect. They legitimately were begging for the trade to Edmonton involving Talbot and they thought it happened and they were getting Barzal until the Islanders instead of their Rags was in the trade announcement. I was dying laughing.

If someone wants to look it up...

I'm too lazy to do it.
I remember too. Devil fans wanted him too. I remember thinking Talbot had no where near the value of the 16th overall pick and then we traded Reinhart for it, so what do I know?

Reactions: mm11 and PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This was the expected and reasonable deal that works out for both the player and team. A long-term deal would have been great, but the world and NHL climate have changed.

Especially if you use the Marner contract as a comp, which is more of an outlier by a bad GM who negotiated against himself multiple times.

The Isles offseason has pretty much gone as expected. Trotz clearly preferred Leddy to Toews as the LHD2, combined with the NHL playoff performance, contract and expansion, which made Toews ultimately expendable.

I thought both Ladd and Boychuk would go to LTIR, although I was thinking Boychuk would be able to return at some point. Ladd survives to play for a bit longer, but the clock might be ticking for him as well.

There will be better opportunities and avenues to dump salary later. The Isles are a deep team, young players will be given chances to step up this season and the Isles have futures to use as they see fit down the line.

Now, let's play some hockey!!!
To me, this was always going to be a Point type of bridge deal. Or a longer term deal along the lines of Aho. I agree with you that I don't think any GM follows the Dumbass outlier contracts in this case the Marner comparable except Kid Wunderless himself. The Isles have Barzal for 3 years, these should be the best years of his career. I think there is a real strength to a team when your best player is only a 7M cap hit. The other things will work out later, for now the Isles have their conference finals roster 99% intact. Every year there will be difficult decisions, such as Beauvillier and Pelech are up next summer. It never gets easy in a cap system. I am somewhat amazed the Isles are contenders and still have no player making over 7M per on the roster.

Reactions: danteipp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad