Speculation: Mathew Barzal Contract Discussion

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not an Eberle fan, but I do have to admit that even though he's not effective with the "secondary game" you describe, it's not from softness or lack of effort. He's just not very good at it. Also, at this point, it may be safe to say he's not especially effective at scoring either.

I'd agree it's not that he's floating and not caring. I find defensive ineptness kind of frustrating because I don't think it's hard for people to learn, but maybe at that point in your career it is when you're so used to being something different.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He just isn't good enough at other things. I was just listening to Ray Ferraro talk on Spittin' Chiclets the other day and they referenced how players need really good secondary skills because if you're not on your A game, you better be bringing something else to the table. If he was good defensively or serviceable on the PK, that'd be great, but he isn't and that makes him pretty forgettable when he's not scoring.
Another good point.^^^^

When Eberle goes into one of his prolonged slumps, when the assists dry up his linemates start to go cold along with him. We saw that in the playoffs against the Lightning. Barzal stopped scoring in that round.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'd agree it's not that he's floating and not caring. I find defensive ineptness kind of frustrating because I don't think it's hard for people to learn, but maybe at that point in your career it is when you're so used to being something different.
I think a lot of it is simply that he isn't all that quick or strong, and his reach is short. To be a good defensive player, you usually need at least one of those unless you can think the defensive game at such a high level that you can get by on that, but he doesn't seem to be able to do that either. It's very hard for a player without at least one of those four traits to get good defensively and they typically have to work hard and commit hard to the system just to be passable.

Last edited:

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Whelp

Attachments

• 412E463C-507C-401C-B362-B35ED0FCA0F7.png
    412E463C-507C-401C-B362-B35ED0FCA0F7.png
    258 KB · Views: 8

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

It's early. I'm not happy, but let's give it 20 games. I know that's over 1/3 of the season, but it's still a sample size that tells us something. We're 3 points out of 4th with a game in hand in this ridiculous start to the season. Shit, if we played our 2 games this week and got say, 3 points... we'd be in 4th. No need for doom and gloom... yet.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
It's early. I'm not happy, but let's give it 20 games. I know that's over 1/3 of the season, but it's still a sample size that tells us something. We're 3 points out of 4th with a game in hand in this ridiculous start to the season. Shit, if we played our 2 games this week and got say, 3 points... we'd be in 4th. No need for doom and gloom... yet.

whoops wrong thread on my part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad