Confirmed with Link: Mason Raymond to Anaheim

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I think that this signing could best be described as "underwhelming". If this is the best that we can do, we are still headed for that top five lottery pick.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What were people expecting in free agency really? We're already tight up against our internal budget with Rakell and Lindholm left to re-sign, so shouldn't be to anyone's surprise that we're dumpster diving. Raymond is as good as a player you can get for below $0.7 mil. Trading is really the only route Murray can go to improve this team, and we're gonna need Getzlaf and Perry to bounce back.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What were people expecting in free agency really? We're already tight up against our internal budget with Rakell and Lindholm left to re-sign, so shouldn't be to anyone's surprise that we're dumpster diving. Raymond is as good as a player you can get for below $0.7 mil. Trading is really the only route Murray can go to improve this team, and we're gonna need Getzlaf and Perry to bounce back.

I expected Murray to correct his mistake and find a way to move 2 of Stoner/Bieksa/Despres. Then he could have easily went out and gotten a top 6 LW whether it be a cheap option (Perron/Boedker) or one of the higher end options (Lucic/Ladd/Eriksson). I should have known better though. That is the kind of move a team makes that actually wants to capitalize on it's window.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Raymond signing, however.

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
As long as it's under 1m there is pretty much no risk here.

The real question is, what Nuck is next on our hit list? Higgins? Ehrhoff? Burrows? :sarcasm:

Oh man, we're definitely getting Higgins now I feel. That would be such a Bob move.

Wasn't Raymond-Kesler-Higgins a line for the Canucks at one point?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Can Raymond still skate? That's about all he was useful for last time I saw him play at the NHL level.

At least he's cheap depth. cant see him playing anywhere higher than the 4th line.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Not to me. Raymond will be a 13th forward unless we are done for the offseason and Cogs is a ****ing great player and person.

Oh I agree that Cogs is great, and I myself am in no rush to move him. But I am struggling to see how BM is going to make the ends meet. I believe there will be further casualties down the road. Up front, Cogs has to be option #1 as soon as Bob feels the urge.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
Pretty good signing. Can't complain with the AAV. If he pans out, great, if not more depth for the Gulls. I guess it's an encouraging sign that he took a cheap show-me deal instead of heading to Europe in chase of more money.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Pretty good signing. Can't complain with the AAV. If he pans out, great, if not more depth for the Gulls. I guess it's an encouraging sign that he took a cheap show-me deal instead of heading to Europe in chase of more money.

Probably helps that he's making a million this year and next already. His finances are secure, so makes sense to go this route for now.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I've long thought that Cogs should be traded. Not because of a desire to get rid of the player, but because I didn't think it was smart having almost 7 million tied into he and Silfverberg. However, I think the likelihood of him getting traded has lessened, now that many of the top 6 wing options are gone.

Cogs may still be traded, but it won't be related to this move. What's telling about this move is that it's 2 way. This wouldn't be a 2 way deal if they saw him as an important part of the roster, which Cogliano is.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I've long thought that Cogs should be traded. Not because of a desire to get rid of the player, but because I didn't think it was smart having almost 7 million tied into he and Silfverberg. However, I think the likelihood of him getting traded has lessened, now that many of the top 6 wing options are gone.

Cogs may still be traded, but it won't be related to this move. What's telling about this move is that it's 2 way. This wouldn't be a 2 way deal if they saw him as an important part of the roster, which Cogliano is.

Also, we have like two or three NHL regular left wings on the roster, and one of them is Mason Raymond.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Also, we have like two or three NHL regular left wings on the roster, and one of them is Mason Raymond.

yep. The longer it goes, the more worried I get that Murray will move Fowler for a package of multiple forwards. IMO, that's a mistake, but there aren't a ton of options out there right now.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Oh I agree that Cogs is great, and I myself am in no rush to move him. But I am struggling to see how BM is going to make the ends meet. I believe there will be further casualties down the road. Up front, Cogs has to be option #1 as soon as Bob feels the urge.

Don't really agree moving a guy making only 3M who is good for ~30 points per season, the most durable player in the league, a guy who brings a consistent effort every single shift. He's worth the 3M, there's plenty of dead weight on the blue line making more money then Cogs (Stoner, Bieksa, Despres).

Nhlnumbers has 14.2 million of cap available for Anaheim. Let's say Lindholm gets 6 and Rakell gets 3.5, while a backup goalie gets 1.5. That leaves 3.2 million of space, which is probably right around the internal budget. So any acquisition of a big time LW is going to require shedding the equivalent salary on the back end.

First, move Stoner, even if he has negative value (e.g. pay a 5th and stoner for a 7th). No cup contender can afford a 3.25 million dollar player who's their 6th or 7th defenseman. That's really bad salary and he needs to go. He could fit well on a rebuilding team to stabilize the blueline or a playoff team with cap space who needs some depth and physicality on the back end.

Lastly, move Fowler. This is a tough one, but the team needs not only bodies to fill the forward lineup but they need more quality at the position after finishing 1st in GA and mediocre in goals scored. With the shedding of 3.25 million from Stoner and 4 million from Fowler (and recalling we were around the internal budget), the Ducks could comfortably afford a high profile LW financially and they of course have the assets to acquire it. Let's say we move Fowler for JVR/RNH even if a pick or Pettersson has to be included. At max, there's 6 million AAV coming back (4.25 if JVR). Assuming I haven't lost you, that leaves the team ~4.45 million dollars under the salary cap with the following roster:

RNH Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Ritchie Thompson Rakell
Raymond Wagner Garbutt

Lindholm Manson
Theodore Vatanen
Despres Bieksa

Safely under the internal budget, high profile scoring forward added. Defense is still good, Theodore in over Fowler may not be a huge loss and again the team let in the least goals in the league last season. Recall Theodore was earning close to 20 minutes with regularity when he was in the lineup. Finished with 8 points and a +7 in 19 games, he can play a solid 20 minutes at the NHL level this season.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Don't really agree moving a guy making only 3M who is good for ~30 points per season, the most durable player in the league, a guy who brings a consistent effort every single shift. He's worth the 3M, there's plenty of dead weight on the blue line making more money then Cogs (Stoner, Bieksa, Despres).

Nhlnumbers has 14.2 million of cap available for Anaheim. Let's say Lindholm gets 6 and Rakell gets 3.5, while a backup goalie gets 1.5. That leaves 3.2 million of space, which is probably right around the internal budget. So any acquisition of a big time LW is going to require shedding the equivalent salary on the back end.

First, move Stoner, even if he has negative value (e.g. pay a 5th and stoner for a 7th). No cup contender can afford a 3.25 million dollar player who's their 6th or 7th defenseman. That's really bad salary and he needs to go. He could fit well on a rebuilding team to stabilize the blueline or a playoff team with cap space who needs some depth and physicality on the back end.

Lastly, move Fowler. This is a tough one, but the team needs not only bodies to fill the forward lineup but they need more quality at the position after finishing 1st in GA and mediocre in goals scored. With the shedding of 3.25 million from Stoner and 4 million from Fowler (and recalling we were around the internal budget), the Ducks could comfortably afford a high profile LW financially and they of course have the assets to acquire it. Let's say we move Fowler for JVR/RNH even if a pick or Pettersson has to be included. At max, there's 6 million AAV coming back (4.25 if JVR). Assuming I haven't lost you, that leaves the team ~4.45 million dollars under the salary cap with the following roster:

RNH Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Ritchie Thompson Rakell
Raymond Wagner Garbutt

Lindholm Manson
Theodore Vatanen
Despres Bieksa

Safely under the internal budget, high profile scoring forward added. Defense is still good, Theodore in over Fowler may not be a huge loss and again the team let in the least goals in the league last season. Recall Theodore was earning close to 20 minutes with regularity when he was in the lineup. Finished with 8 points and a +7 in 19 games, he can play a solid 20 minutes at the NHL level this season.

Except Thompson is out basically all season

Jul 22, 2012

Cogliano is the heart and soul of this team.. most of the time, he's the only player who seems like he gives a ****. Trading him would be a blunder, and would piss off a lot of fans (myself included).

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Cogliano is the heart and soul of this team.. most of the time, he's the only player who seems like he gives a ****. Trading him would be a blunder, and would piss off a lot of fans (myself included).

Which is to say, trading Cogliano after all the stupid moves/non-moves from Murray, would be about par for the course for Murray and wouldn't come as a surprise at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad