Player Discussion: Mason Appleton

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Good signing. Wonder why Foley isn't signed yet. He said in his interview in the prospect camp that the ball was in the Jets court. I think Foley is going to have a breakout year and the Jets would be wise to sign him this summer before the temptation of UFA kicks in at the end of next season

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Good signing. Wonder why Foley isn't signed yet. He said in his interview in the prospect camp that the ball was in the Jets court. I think Foley is going to have a breakout year and the Jets would be wise to sign him this summer before the temptation of UFA kicks in at the end of next season

I seem to recall someone (not pointing the finger at you, don't remember who it was) saying when Vesalainen was drafted that they didn't think there was an organizational need for left wingers. Who do we have on the Moose for left wingers, besides Darren Kramer who absolutely, positively must be on the roster because... you know, shenanigans. :sarcasm:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I seem to recall someone (not pointing the finger at you, don't remember who it was) saying when Vesalainen was drafted that they didn't think there was an organizational need for left wingers. Who do we have on the Moose for left wingers, besides Darren Kramer who absolutely, positively must be on the roster because... you know, shenanigans. :sarcasm:

De Leo, Tanev, Sgarbossa, Cormier, Lemieux, Harkins are LHS. Lipon is a RHS but has played LW before.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Contract details from capfriendly

IMG_3409.jpg

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I am not sure anymore but don't they get all 3 years of there signing bonus right off the start?

That's not how I understand it. They are paid each July 1 for the year in question.. The Oilers for instance are not giving Connor McDavid $80M+ next July 1

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That's not how I understand it. They are paid each July 1 for the year in question.. The Oilers for instance are not giving Connor McDavid $80M+ next July 1

I guess they're entitled to their signing bonus as soon as they sign the contract and it's then paid out over multiple years as stipulated in the contract. That's why they can't be bought out or withheld - the player signed the contract and is owed that money for signing.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I guess they're entitled to their signing bonus as soon as they sign the contract and it's then paid out over multiple years as stipulated in the contract. That's why they can't be bought out or withheld - the player signed the contract and is owed that money for signing.

It's also why some trades are announced after July 1 so the bonus is not paid by the acquiring team.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Ya.

The NCAA is pretty specific about this kind of thing...

Their multi-billion dollar industry doesn't want the help to make a thin dime. It would corrupt them.:naughty:

Did you see that TSN? thing on what an NCAA basketball player could be paid?
Average of 170k a year and one team could pay $1.7 million a year for each player based on an NBA type split of the revenues.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not sure if anyone noticed but someone in that Twitter feed (assuming his mom?) Mentioned that MSU will continue to honor his scholarship and he's going to finish his degree part time

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Gotta wonder if this is the CBA mandated legit Performance Bonus or if CapFriendly sticks also the Games Played bonuses under that column too. $25k would specifically be the maximum allowed bonus for 5 games played up in the N.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Not sure if anyone noticed but someone in that Twitter feed (assuming his mom?) Mentioned that MSU will continue to honor his scholarship and he's going to finish his degree part time

Interesting. Didn't know they did that.

Good for him though. What did he study?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad