Player Discussion: Mason Appleton

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015
Getting your chance with a pro contract has to be a very difficult thing to pass up for these kids.

I agree. I think it's silly for kids to pass up a pro-contract over a scholarship. For one your prime earning years as a hockey player happen at a younger age than most professions, get that money while you can. Two, universities aren't going anywhere, MSU will still exist when you retire from hockey, you can always go back. Three, the business/professional connections you gain by being a pro-athlete are far better than any networking event put on by a university.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Appleton.

He's another of the Jets "stealth" prospects (like Foley and Kraskovsky).

He's sort of a Swiss Army knife type of player - smart, skilled and versatile.

Like a lot of the Jets' prospects, his pro future will really be determined by opportunities. The Jets have such depth in forward prospects (that can play C), that they'll need to be moving some of them.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah you go to college to get a good job. He's essentially guaranteed himself a good gig making 70k or so a year for the next three years with the potential for more if he got asigning bonus or if he makes it to the NHL. Its not easy to find a 70k job out of college.

Other than playing hockey, nothing prevents you from working on your degree in the off season. I'm guessing the university lets one of their former players with a pro contract have full use of the training facilities over the summer.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
2015 draft only remaining unsigned player is Foley. (Gennaro punted)

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Edit: cool to see a Jets Logo on the SPC. It's still amazing to me how simple an SPC is. There's more paperwork involved just opening a bank account.

In a sense, you need to tack the hundreds of pages of the CBA to all of these contracts for them to be complete.

Makes me wonder why you need an agent to take 5% of your contract to negotiate a single sheet of paper lol. Everything is so darn syltraightforward and streamlined these days that these things must be a snap to get done.

Wasn't it reported that Markov is doing just that--negotiating his own contract?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
In a sense, you need to tack the hundreds of pages of the CBA to all of these contracts for them to be complete.

Wasn't it reported that Markov is doing just that--negotiating his own contract?

Ovi negotiated his contract himself

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Am I the only one wondering why I keep seeing Jets players dressed in Nike gear only since the NHL moved from Reebok to Adidas? They used to wear all reebok. From a branding point of view, I'm a bit confused.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Am I the only one wondering why I keep seeing Jets players dressed in Nike gear only since the NHL moved from Reebok to Adidas? They used to wear all reebok. From a branding point of view, I'm a bit confused.

I was kinda wondering... I want that hoodie. :laugh:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I have to wonder if Petan is on the outside looking in especially after this years draft.....didn't they draft a smallish forward ala Petan in the late rounds?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I have to wonder if Petan is on the outside looking in especially after this years draft.....didn't they draft a smallish forward ala Petan in the late rounds?

Skyler McKenzie? 5'8" 19 year old (D+1) who put up 1.16 p/g in the WHL last year with Portland. Mind you his 0.58 g/g is pretty nice.

Petan is more of a playmaker than a sniper. To compare, Petan's D+1 year he put up 1.79 p/g and 0.55 g/g. Petan was something extraordinary...hopefully he can port that to the NHL at some point.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Skyler McKenzie? 5'8" 19 year old (D+1) who put up 1.16 p/g in the WHL last year with Portland. Mind you his 0.58 g/g is pretty nice.

Petan is more of a playmaker than a sniper. To compare, Petan's D+1 year he put up 1.79 p/g and 0.55 g/g. Petan was something extraordinary...hopefully he can port that to the NHL at some point.

Just stick them on a line with De Leo - the Portland Pipsqueaks.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Congratulations Mason!
Wow we have so much young talent. The Moose should be much improved this year.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Did he have a good Dev. Camp ?

Maybe playing with Connor and Rozlo at camp convinced him to go pro earlier than he was expected to.

I thought he was going to sign a 3 year ELC in March and play the last couple of weeks of the regular season. That way he would play his 3rd year of college still get tje same sining bonus and only be out 85 % of his moose pay check of 70 k.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Congratulations Mason!
Wow we have so much young talent. The Moose should be much improved this year.

Young players usually take time to transition to the pro game, so I wouldn't expect much for a while.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If they didn't sign DeSalvo because Appleton would be signing... then :facepalm:

Point of the Moose is to develop Jets prospects. Appleton should get precedence on that basis. It's not just about contracts, but also about ice time.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Point of the Moose is to develop Jets prospects. Appleton should get precedence on that basis. It's not just about contracts, but also about ice time.

Maybe because DeSalvo chose to sign elsewhere, the Jets pushed harder to get Appleton to turn pro?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad