Confirmed with Link: Martin Necas Signs ELC

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I mean even when we do, I figure he'll still be out there taking zombie-shifts sometime in 2020.

Thoughts upon first read: What exactly is a zombie-**** and why is he doing it out on the ice?
Thoughts upon second read: Oh. He wrote shifts. Never mind.

I'm tired.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheriff bart

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He could and he's been drafted by (I think) Windsor so there's a possibility he could be on a really good team over here. But I doubt he'll be playing in North America next season.

Nope. Saginaw. Not nearly as good a team. That said, he'd likely get handed the #1C there and get tons of minutes, so that wouldn't be bad.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm seriously afraid with his slight physique he won't be able to handle the high quality Raleigh meth....impending bust guaranteed.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Oh, and this signing is so important that it didn't even rate a main board thread.

Why would it? Trades and signings are discussed on the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk board, not NHL Talk. And you know nothing stops you from posting your own thread, right? It has been posted in the Prospects Signing thread, FWIW, where most updates about prospects signing their ELCs have been placed.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Why would it? Trades and signings are discussed on the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk board, not NHL Talk. And you know nothing stops you from posting your own thread, right? It has been posted in the Prospects Signing thread, FWIW, where most updates about prospects signing their ELCs have been placed.

Yeah, well I meant the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Board where the Liljegren and Lias Andersson threads were posted and discussed....but you're right, I could have been proactive but clearly preferred the snarkiness of my "woe is me being a Hurricanes fan" comment. :sarcasm:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
damnit, this kind of thing would never happen under Karmanos, terrible. Too Much Term.

He could and he's been drafted by (I think) Windsor so there's a possibility he could be on a really good team over here. But I doubt he'll be playing in North America next season.

Signing him now means the ELC doesn't start until his first full pro (NHL or AHL) season and his signing bonus "slide" causes the cap hit to be lower when he's on his rookie contract.

Thanks for explanation, I knew I was missing something.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Additionally, unless I am mistaken, signing bonuses can be dispensed upon the signing of the contract and is usually a show of good faith by the organization. It means that they believe enough in your future to invest that bonus and provide you some financial freedom right away. The contract is more than symbolic for that reason. It's a reward for a job well done so far and encouragement for the prospect of more. It also fosters some fondness right away when a team you've never played for cuts you a big fat check. It engenders some loyalty.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Signing him now means the ELC doesn't start until his first full pro (NHL or AHL) season and his signing bonus "slide" causes the cap hit to be lower when he's on his rookie contract.

NHL only. A guy signing at 18-19 will have his ELC slide one year and guy signing at 18 a second year after that unless he plays 10+ up in the N during the first (and then the second year) under the ELC. Other guys don't slide at all, it's a kiddy thing. A season in AHL means a slide.

This guy knows: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=134502101&postcount=27

But the ELC itself "starts" now; he's under contract to the Canes and it's up to them now where ever they may want to Loan him to play (with a 2nd+ round draftee, if he had an existing IIHF contract for the season(s) to come, the transfer agreement might hiccup with that a bit, but it's no consideration in this case).

Also, a thing about giving signing bonus for a young Euro pro is that his first AHL year pay will be ~160k instead of 70k, which is a consideration at the time his agent gets an offer for an ELC and has ones from Europe too.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Additionally, unless I am mistaken, signing bonuses can be dispensed upon the signing of the contract and is usually a show of good faith by the organization. It means that they believe enough in your future to invest that bonus and provide you some financial freedom right away. The contract is more than symbolic for that reason. It's a reward for a job well done so far and encouragement for the prospect of more. It also fosters some fondness right away when a team you've never played for cuts you a big fat check. It engenders some loyalty.

Yeah, that thought had occurred to me. Maybe reduces the chances of another Gregory Hofmann or what-was-that-Russian-dudes-name from happening again.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As opposed to all the husky, solidly-built guys out there you see doing meth.

They started out Gauthier's size.

No they all started out "Big Mike" size.

carolina_hurricanes_big_mike_kbaAKbrq.sized.jpg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
NHL only. A guy signing at 18-19 will have his ELC slide one year and guy signing at 18 a second year after that unless he plays 10+ up in the N during the first (and then the second year) under the ELC. Other guys don't slide at all, it's a kiddy thing. A season in AHL means a slide.

This guy knows: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=134502101&postcount=27

But the ELC itself "starts" now; he's under contract to the Canes and it's up to them now where ever they may want to Loan him to play (with a 2nd+ round draftee, if he had an existing IIHF contract for the season(s) to come, the transfer agreement might hiccup with that a bit, but it's no consideration in this case).

Also, a thing about giving signing bonus for a young Euro pro is that his first AHL year pay will be ~160k instead of 70k, which is a consideration at the time his agent gets an offer for an ELC and has ones from Europe too.

So, if he plays in Saginaw or Brno, ELC slides this year. However, if he plays in the AHL, or obviously the NHL, the contract burns the first year. Anyone think it would be worth the first ELC year to have him in Charlotte, or will CHL or Brno be enough development to justify not burning the first ELC year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad