Confirmed with Link: Martin Necas Signs ELC

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems like you never hear about getting a guy rated exactly where you had him other than perhaps the top few spots in the draft. Every team always gets a guy they had rated super high and that they didn't expect to last that long and all that jazz.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Seems like you never hear about getting a guy rated exactly where you had him other than perhaps the top few spots in the draft. Every team always gets a guy they had rated super high and that they didn't expect to last that long and all that jazz.

I do a personal rating thing where I aggregate 15 or 20 different ratings and then tweak it a little based on a few of the guys I've seen (video). IIRC, Necas ended up at like 7 or 8. A number of services had him ranked in the top 10, but really didn't have a lot of video or even narrative about him. He was really a bit of a mystery. With our upgraded European scouting, we probably saw him a bit more than some.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Here's where he was ranked by the various pre-draft rankings.

McKenzie: 11
Pronmann: 16
Kennedy (THN): 11
Hockey Prospect: 9
Button: 7
Dobber: 10
ISS: 13
McKeen: 12
Marek (Sportsnet): 10

10-13 seems about the consensus for most rankings and he went #12.

Canes probably did have him a bit higher, but I never read too much into post draft proclamations that they had a player as ranked much higher on their board. Once their draft position is known, they are probably going to spend more time focusing on guys that will likely be around when they pick.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not that this necessarily a valid data point, but I become less and less impressed with Pronman as I come to know more of the way he views the world.

Guys like Pronman and Button seem to like to have more extreme views on guys. Can't tell if I like that, because they just don't accept the general consensus and want to form their own view, or hate that, because it seems sometimes they are just trying to be different for the sake of being different.

And Hank "I've Seen Necas And He Sucks" Clerval. Subscription CANCELED.

:laugh:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Guys like Pronman and Button seem to like to have more extreme views on guys. Can't tell if I like that, because they just don't accept the general consensus and want to form their own view, or hate that, because it seems sometimes they are just trying to be different for the sake of being different.

:laugh:

Beware the sample size of one game. :)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Here's where he was ranked by the various pre-draft rankings.

McKenzie: 11
Pronmann: 16
Kennedy (THN): 11
Hockey Prospect: 9
Button: 7
Dobber: 10
ISS: 13
McKeen: 12
Marek (Sportsnet): 10

10-13 seems about the consensus for most rankings and he went #12.

Canes probably did have him a bit higher, but I never read too much into post draft proclamations that they had a player as ranked much higher on their board. Once their draft position is known, they are probably going to spend more time focusing on guys that will likely be around when they pick.

Went back and looked at my spreadsheet (not sure if it was all final rankings but pretty close) and I ended up w/an average of 8.15 rank. Now some I know were not final rankings as I think I did this either in April or May. Still, not a lot of difference between 8 and 10.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a poke you your 8 rank NotOpie.

Was just more for reference. 4th OA seems out of the norm though, but honestly, this draft was supposed to be one that didn't have high end, but had pretty even talent in that range so it could be the case. Only time will tell and what I've seen from him so far has me optimistic about him.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, I didn't mean that as a poke you your 8 rank NotOpie.

Was just more for reference. 4th OA seems out of the norm though, but honestly, this draft was supposed to be one that didn't have high end, but had pretty even talent in that range so it could be the case. Only time will tell and what I've seen from him so far has me optimistic about him.

Didn't take any offense BBA....I suffer from the need to over-explain from time to time. :help:

My point was that I believe Necas in particular was a guy that was sort of all over the map leading up to the draft, especially as the draft got closer and those ratings tended to move a lot.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
seems like necas is pushing hard for a roster spot. anyone he reminds you of? only saw a few videos of him, but when reading about his skill set it reminded me of pastrnak.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Guy he reminds me of the most is Giroux honestly. Of course, Necas already has about 3-4 inches on him and will likely have about 20-25lbs on him when he fills out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good. Liked Martin getting his first game in and getting a feel for the NHL game, but man did it feel like he was just being wasted night after night in the box. Hopefully he goes back, kicks some ass on Brno, and bulks up about 15 lbs in the offseason when he comes back and is ready to take over for the good doctor.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Not one person in this forum is qualified to know whether his time with the team was wasted or not. Simply talking out of your ass.
Was he really learning all that much? What more could have been taught that hadn’t already been in prospect camp, preseason camp, preseason games, lead into season practice, the week+ before his first game. Why not just send him back after Edmonton?

Don’t you want your first round pick playing hockey games and not missing a month of the season?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I was strongly of the position that he should have been back in Brno a while back if that was the long term plan, but after hearing a number of posters out, I can see both sides of it. One poster used the NCAA model as an example where practice and training is a much bigger component than playing games. So I assume these few weeks were spent teaching him the right things to do to prepare himself long term for the NHL (Diet, training, what things to work on, etc...) so I see some merit in keeping him around a bit longer. I also see the merit in getting him with his team earlier so he isn't playing catch-up and being out of sync with his team so it will aid in his development by getting more quality playing time back there.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I was strongly of the position that he should have been back in Brno a while back if that was the long term plan, but after hearing a number of posters out, I can see both sides of it. One poster used the NCAA model as an example where practice and training is a much bigger component than playing games. So I assume these few weeks were spent teaching him the right things to do to prepare himself long term for the NHL (Diet, training, what things to work on, etc...) so I see some merit in keeping him around a bit longer. I also see the merit in getting him with his team earlier so he isn't playing catch-up and being out of sync with his team so it will aid in his development by getting more quality playing time back there.
I was one of the people who argued against you and advocated keeping him here. I think Kuokkanen changed the plan a bit for him. I can’t fault that. But the season’s been going for three weeks now plus the time between camp and the season. IF the plan was to give him one game, I’m not entirely sure why it wasn’t earlier

Now he has to go back and adjust to his team and regain the trust of those coaches.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Everything I've ever heard (including a couple of personal NHL relationships) is that you never harm a player's development by being exposed to the best league in the world, on AND off the ice. Sure, he only played one (?) game...but going on the road trip, seeing the rest of the roster's work habits, game prep, pre- and post-game attitudes....that can't be a bad thing.

The most important thing isn't how it affects Necas' season in the Czech Republic; it's to ensure there are no surprises when he comes back over here. When that happens, Necas will be expected to make the team. That alone will be enough on his plate; for there to be no surprises, that is huge.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Was he really learning all that much? What more could have been taught that hadn’t already been in prospect camp, preseason camp, preseason games, lead into season practice, the week+ before his first game. Why not just send him back after Edmonton?

Don’t you want your first round pick playing hockey games and not missing a month of the season?
Questions that none of us know the answer to, so to make statements as if you do is silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->