Confirmed with Link: Martin Necas Signs ELC

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with 2017 first-round selection Martin Necas (NEH-chahs) on a three-year, entry-level contract. The deal will pay Necas $832,500 on the NHL level or $70,000 on the American Hockey League level per season. He receives a signing bonus of $277,500.

Necas, 18, spent the 2016-17 season with HC Kometa Brno of the Czech Extraliga, the Czech Republic's top professional league. He notched seven goals and earned eight assists (15 points) in 41 regular-season games, and ranked third on the team with three power-play goals. The Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Republic, native scored four goals in 10 playoff games as Brno won the league championship.

In international play, Necas (6'1", 178 lbs.) represented the Czech Republic at the 2017 International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Junior Championship, notching three points (1g, 2a) in five games. He captained his home country's team to its first gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup in August 2016, scoring two goals and earning four assists in four tournament games. He also earned three assists in the 2017 IIHF World Under-18 Championship.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Three years for a guy who has never played in the NHL? Come to think of it, he hasn't even played in North America.

This is totally something JR would have done. Fire Ron Francis.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I might miss something, but whats the reason behind it when he is so young and not physically mature enough. Only thing I can imagine that Canes has more influence on him in terms where he plays...?

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Does this mean that Necas could be playing in the AHL next season? Or at least in NA?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
damnit, this kind of thing would never happen under Karmanos, terrible. Too Much Term.

Does this mean that Necas could be playing in the AHL next season? Or at least in NA?

He could and he's been drafted by (I think) Windsor so there's a possibility he could be on a really good team over here. But I doubt he'll be playing in North America next season.

I might miss something, but whats the reason behind it when he is so young and not physically mature enough. Only thing I can imagine that Canes has more influence on him in terms where he plays...?

Signing him now means the ELC doesn't start until his first full pro (NHL or AHL) season and his signing bonus "slide" causes the cap hit to be lower when he's on his rookie contract.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder what the realistic timeframe is on when he's suiting up for the Canes. The way I see it now, maybe 3 years out at the earliest?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

As far as I can recall the Canes sign all their first-round picks to ELCs. There's no reason not to since the contract won't kick in until they play in the NHL or AHL (or ECHL I suppose, as unlikely as that scenario would be).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

IMO, you get your young, high potential guys signed to ELCs as quickly as possible. I'm not saying that he wouldn't have signed it down the road, but we don't even need the slightest risk of another Frederick Andersen situation. The contract doesn't start until he turns pro so when he signs it is kind of irrelevant.

EDIT: Dave and Robo beat me to it.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Signing him now means the ELC doesn't start until his first full pro (NHL or AHL) season and his signing bonus "slide" causes the cap hit to be lower when he's on his rookie contract.

Does this mean that his contract doesn't count against the 50 contract limit until he plays at least 10 games in the AHL/NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad