Injury Report: Martin Havlat 5/1 [Video]

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Who in the Sharks organization did that?

Havlat skated this morning in full gear. So he's clearly not been banished even if his stall is still currently empty.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/burish-returning-game-6-havlat-skates

We've had multiple things said, first by Kevin Kurz and Hedican on the air, and then McLellan yesterday:

“He has to be able to play the game. We have to make decisions on what’s best for the team and we’ve tried once already to put a player into the lineup and he left us with four minutes,†McLellan said of Havlat, who returned briefly in Game 3 of the current series only to leave it again. “That didn’t help us at all.â€

So yah, there are obviously some issues going on here. I never said he was banished. If he's healthy they are not going to tell him he can't play just to punish him or something. I just said they are clearly not happy with him and I think a buyout is in the realm of possibility at this point.

I also said I wouldn't buy him out if it was me. You guys really need to lay off the gotcha crap, it's obnoxious.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
We've had multiple things said, first by Kevin Kurz and Hedican on the air, and then McLellan yesterday:

“He has to be able to play the game. We have to make decisions on what’s best for the team and we’ve tried once already to put a player into the lineup and he left us with four minutes,†McLellan said of Havlat, who returned briefly in Game 3 of the current series only to leave it again. “That didn’t help us at all.â€

So yah, there are obviously some issues going on here. I never said he was banished. If he's healthy they are not going to tell him he can't play just to punish him or something. I just said they are clearly not happy with him and I think a buyout is in the realm of possibility at this point.

I also said I wouldn't buy him out if it was me. You guys really need to lay off the gotcha crap, it's obnoxious.

Kurz and Hedican don't work for the Sharks and aren't a part of the Sharks organization. TMac also didn't "torpedo" Havlat. Hes more disappointed than anything. From a fan perspective it looks bad on Havlat when you see Vlasic, Braun and Couture look to be seriously injured but they only miss a few shifts and Burish playing with a broken hand. Maybe he is severely injured but hes already skating again..so what gives?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Kurz and Hedican don't work for the Sharks and aren't a part of the Sharks organization. TMac also didn't "torpedo" Havlat. Hes more disappointed than anything. From a fan perspective it looks bad on Havlat when you see Vlasic, Braun and Couture look to be seriously injured but they only miss a few shifts and Burish playing with a broken hand. Maybe he is severely injured but hes already skating again..so what gives?

My understanding is that Kurz does work for the Sharks, and the Sharks at least have a big say who in the broadcast group if not direct control over them, even though they are paid by NBC. Either way, these guys are around the team day in and out and know a lot more about whats going on. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Again, I'm not saying he WILL be bought out, I'm saying I see it as a possibility at this point, where before I thought it was highly unlikely. Also, not knowing the details, it still seems like a poor use of assets to buy him out, but it sounds like there is more to it.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I said this before, but to me McLellan's comments there seem like he's taking some responsibility for what happened with Havlat. That they took a calculated risk that didn't work out with Havlat, and he simply wanted to make sure the same situation didn't repeat itself with Burish. McLellan also said this before that comment:

“We’ll get a daily review like we always do from our doctors and training staff, and if we’re comfortable as a staff that we like what we’re hearing, we’ll put him in,â€

To me, it really just seems like he wants to be as careful as possible and not put the team short handed. Which didn't happen, as Burish played the whole game.

Neither McLellan, nor DW have made any direct and pointed comments criticizing Havlat, until either one of those two do, I'm going to take every thing said by journalists or tv commentators with a grain of salt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad