Injury Report: Martin Havlat 5/1 [Video]

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Hedican's comments absolutely blew me away, mostly because, they were not necessary. First of all the team won, and secondly, there's no reason to call attention to Havlat, as the team has played very well without him. I understand that everyone wants Havlat to be healthy, and to get all they can from him. But he's essentially been an afterthought for the entire playoff run, and taking shots at him when the team has been playing well is just plain stupid. Also, why is Hedican making it sound like Havlat is in full control of whether or not he plays. McLellan has a huge say in this, along with the trainers and doctors. If they let him play, and he re-aggravates his injury, or injures something new, well that just ****ing sucks, but you can't put all the blame on the player. He thought he could play, and more importantly, he wanted to play, and fight through the pain, just so he could help. It didn't work out, but that isn't something you should hold against someone. This whole situation has become so overblown, it's kind of shocking.

I did not see his comments directly but I get the gist and I'd have to agree with this assessment.

It seems like a strange situation all around. It's not like there aren't players with frustrating injury situations all around the league. It makes me wonder a little bit ... what line was he on when he played? Could there have been another issue entirely?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
And yet his hockey analysis is always about how great the Sharks are playing in any loss, and all the CSN-CA cliches and excuse makings.

Havlat was injured and in pain (probably) but he wanted to play no matter what, that shows good character to me. You can spin it any way you want.

You talking about him or me spinning? I don't spin ****.

I don't agree with your statement that he always blows sunshine up the Sharks'...well, you know. Hedi has called out the team on many occasions. Maybe you don't notice it because Drew never goes after him, just Ratto (even when both were negative about the Sharks).

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
You talking about him or me spinning? I don't spin ****.
You wanna go bro?

Talking about him.

I don't agree with your statement that he always blows sunshine up the Sharks'...well, you know. Hedi has called out the team on many occasions. Maybe you don't notice it because Drew never goes after him, just Ratto (even when both were negative about the Sharks).
To me it's always Brodie or Reiss saying "not that result the Sharks wanted but they had good chances"; after which Hedi goes "yes they are doing good things but the puck just isn't getting to the net. They are showing good things and if they keep playing like this, they're gonna win."

Ugh.

The team was so bad this year that if he didn't call the out, he'd have no integrity.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
You wanna go bro?

Talking about him.

To me it's always Brodie or Reiss saying "not that result the Sharks wanted but they had good chances"; after which Hedi goes "yes they are doing good things but the puck just isn't getting to the net. They are showing good things and if they keep playing like this, they're gonna win."

Ugh.

The team was so bad this year that if he didn't call the out, he'd have no integrity.

Leg day. Forgive my rage.

Last year he did, on several occasions, call out the Sharks for having "too many passengers." Granted, he usually puts the mean face on when Ratto is in studio. Why is that?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Hedican (or Kurz) isn't employed by the Sharks so whatever laundry he might be airing on camera, it's his opinion (and he may have some insight into what's going on behind closed doors) and I don't think there's a whole lot the Sharks can do about what CSN employees say on air.

My understanding is that both of them are 'employed' by the Sharks (or their parent company). At least to some degree, especially Kurz. Same as Randy and Drew.

If that was true, why did DW run McSorely out of town? The Sharks media guys have always been very careful about what they say on the air.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
My understanding is that both of them are 'employed' by the Sharks (or their parent company). At least to some degree, especially Kurz. Same as Randy and Drew.

If that was true, why did DW run McSorely out of town? The Sharks media guys have always been very careful about what they say on the air.

Because he loved hearing Drew say "the great Doug Wilson!"

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Is everyone discounting the possibility that he really did feel good enough to go (and was indeed cleared by the trainers), but something happened out on the ice that severely re-aggravated the injury?

Just as a guess, what I suspect might have happened is that he had a serious groin strain (ie, partial tear), but had worked on it enough to get to where he could play at a reasonable level. Then, during a play on the ice, he either moved wrong or was hit wrong, and the groin tore completely, which obviously isn't something he can play on or recover from before the end of the playoffs.

If that's the case, then how is it on him for deceiving the team or anything to that effect, when he and the trainers felt he could go, but then something happened to make the injury far worse? I guess you could call it as being on him for being fragile as all hell, but beyond that, it's really just bad luck, not anything negative on Marty or the team. Unless Hedican *KNOWS* this didn't happen, I think he was out of line.

Anyway, I'd bet a big chunk of my vcash that before too long we'll hear about Havlat going in for surgery to repair whatever groin injury he has.

Adam Jones

May 6, 2011
Davis, CA
Is everyone discounting the possibility that he really did feel good enough to go (and was indeed cleared by the trainers), but something happened out on the ice that severely re-aggravated the injury?

Just as a guess, what I suspect might have happened is that he had a serious groin strain (ie, partial tear), but had worked on it enough to get to where he could play at a reasonable level. Then, during a play on the ice, he either moved wrong or was hit wrong, and the groin tore completely, which obviously isn't something he can play on or recover from before the end of the playoffs.

If that's the case, then how is it on him for deceiving the team or anything to that effect, when he and the trainers felt he could go, but then something happened to make the injury far worse? I guess you could call it as being on him for being fragile as all hell, but beyond that, it's really just bad luck, not anything negative on Marty or the team. Unless Hedican *KNOWS* this didn't happen, I think he was out of line.

Anyway, I'd bet a big chunk of my vcash that before too long we'll hear about Havlat going in for surgery to repair whatever groin injury he has.

After reading that his stall was removed from the locker room this (regrettably) is probably what happened.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008

Certainly possible. We'll find out once the season concludes. Lets hope that isn't until the cup is raised by Jumbo.

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
Yeah, I can clearly remember one game (a loss) this year when Hedi and Ratto were definitely pissed and ragging on the Sharks for poor play, while Randy and Drew were saying it was a great performance.

It even went back and forth several times and Drew got pretty adamant about his views (I know, I know ... what's new). Can't remember which game it was though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, I can clearly remember one game (a loss) this year when Hedi and Ratto were definitely pissed and ragging on the Sharks for poor play, while Randy and Drew were saying it was a great performance.

It even went back and forth several times and Drew got pretty adamant about his views (I know, I know ... what's new). Can't remember which game it was though.

'twas a SOW against Vancouver.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Remember how Ron Wilson wanted to strangle Toskala after Toskala lied about being healthy vs. Edmonton?

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
That's assuming that that is really the injury. It probably isn't.

Remember he missed the last game of the season but it was assumed he was rested for the playoffs. Now we know he injured his groin. They said he would be ready for game 1 but he re-injured it early in the game like he did for game 3 of LA series. It probably had nothing to do with Bieksa now that you think about it. Nobody speared him in the LA game. He re-injured it just skating. He wasn't ready for game 1 of the playoffs and he wasn't ready for game 3 of the Semis. Which then explains why the Sharks organization is pissed at him. He said he was ready for game 1 but he clearly wasn't. Then he said he was ready for game 3 against LA and he wasn't. So this was the 2nd time the Sharks had to shorten the bench because of him. That explains why he's been exiled.

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007
Havlat should do everyone and himself a favor and retire. When you're getting injured just skating around, hockey is not for you anymore.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
That's assuming that that is really the injury. It probably isn't.

Then what?

Shark Fin Soup seems to know what he's talking about. Maybe a combination of the two, who knows. All I know is that Havlat is hurting the team at this point. We traded a passenger for a passenger. Why does DW keep doing these things. Get proven winners!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Then what?

Shark Fin Soup seems to know what he's talking about. Maybe a combination of the two, who knows. All I know is that Havlat is hurting the team at this point. We traded a passenger for a passenger. Why does DW keep doing these things. Get proven winners!

Does it really matter what it really is? You don't find it the least bit obnoxious and ridiculous to call someone out to be a wuss because he's got an injury? This is especially because you, I, and everyone not affiliated with the team don't know what the injury really is.

Of course being out of the lineup hurts the team but thems the breaks. It happened with Torres. It happened with Heatley. It happened with Thornton at points. It happened with Marleau. It happens with everyone. Even when they can play, it still hurts the team. That's the nature of the game. Calling him a wuss is just juvenile.

Proven winners don't guarantee you anything. Dan Boyle is a proven winner. Antti Niemi is a proven winner. Scott Gomez is a proven winner. We've had teams that had plenty of championship experience and it didn't get them anywhere. Heatley and Havlat weren't passengers. Heatley busted his ass when he was in the lineup and hurt. He just wasn't that good. Havlat just can't stay healthy but has a necessary skill set for a team to go anywhere in the playoffs. I'm not opposed to moving him if a real replacement can be found but that's a tall order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad