Blue Jays Discussion: Martin, Donaldson .. What Else Is Up Your Sleeve AA? (hint: it's Saunders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Hey man, I understand. You're talking to a guy who once wrote an article titled; Dr. Rasmuslove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Colby.

I would've liked to see it end differently, but I believe the org is better off.

LOL, fair enough.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
They probably don't crack Oakland's rotation either unless a pitcher is moved out. As it stands, the following pitchers are firmly entrenched in the Oakland rotation: Sonny Gray, Jeff Samardzija, Scott Kazmir, Jesse Chavez and Jarrod Parker (with Drew Pomeranz as the likely 6th option).

They also have A.J. Griffin who is a starter

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
One could argue that Colby lit the flame that burnt said bridge. Really might be best to move on.

I think it's more apt to say that the Blue Jays lit the match, but Rasmus went out beforehand and doused the bridge in gasoline.

But that's just if we're going to get into a semantic argument about arson metaphors. :sarcasm:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I was advocating for the Jays to trade Rasmus when he was at his peak. With that said, I'd be interested in bringing him back. I think he'll have a bounce back season.

Also, there is no way James Shields gets 10-12M per. He's an ace (or at least percieved as one). He's going to get 18-20M minimum.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Interesting stuff.

I'm curious as to how they make it easier on bodies by going with a version that weighs considerably less. Yes there will be less compression when it's rolled up. But I would think less weight means less material and subsequently less of a cushion. I'm not an engineer obviously, just my first impression of the article. If what they say is true, then it's great news. Either way just having "new" turf is good rather than one that's been treaded and packed for a few seasons.

Although they don't mention it you'd have to assume their using a different type of material for the turf. Who knows. Hopefully it's all temporary until the beautiful new green grass can be laid down

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Juan fransisco was non tendered by the Red Sox. No surprise really

WordsOfWisdumb*

Does it really have to be a vet? Can't it be an up and coming #1 starter? :dunno:

I think the Jays need to find a guy that is a proven #1, preferably one of these pitchers that is spinning his wheels putting up Cy Young numbers on a lousy team year after year and wants to play for a contender. It has to be someone that can deliver now, not maybe in the future.

The more big name players AA signs, the easier it is to attract other big name players to the Jays.

:handclap:

The Jays pitching rotation (currently) is one of the worst in the AL. Dickey and Buerhle are spare parts at this stage. Stroman is an unknown. Who knows how badly he falls back in year two? You can't count on the other guys for innings and there's nobody else coming from the minors any time soon.

If the Jays get a #1 starter, they just might have enough talent to make the playoffs in 2015. Without an ace pitcher, they are right back to where they were in 2014: lost in the middle of the AL East and going nowhere fast. :(

MrLegend28*

“Did you know Scherzer, 30, has thrown 20,954 pitches, to 26,321 for Jon Lester and 29,461 for James Shields, the other top two free-agent pitchers in a top-heavy market containing three aces?”

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Martin is as good as people say at pitch framing and controling his pitchers, which current starter benefits most from Martin behind the plate.

1) Dickie
2) Buehrle
3) Happ
4) Hutchinson
5) Stroman

I gotta think its going to be either Buehrle or Happ, both seem to be the types that are always around the plate and would benefit from Martin skillset.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think the Jays need to find a guy that is a proven #1, preferably one of these pitchers that is spinning his wheels putting up Cy Young numbers on a lousy team year after year and wants to play for a contender. It has to be someone that can deliver now, not maybe in the future.

The more big name players AA signs, the easier it is to attract other big name players to the Jays.

The Jays pitching rotation (currently) is one of the worst in the AL. Dickey and Buerhle are spare parts at this stage. Stroman is an unknown. Who knows how badly he falls back in year two? You can't count on the other guys for innings and there's nobody else coming from the minors any time soon.

If the Jays get a #1 starter, they just might have enough talent to make the playoffs in 2015. Without an ace pitcher, they are right back to where they were in 2014: lost in the middle of the AL East and going nowhere fast. :(

Ummm. what?

Sure they have that unknown factor. How well Buerhle, Dickey pitch as they age another year. How will the young guys perform. But they're not one of the worst in the AL. Zeke mposted the stats for last year, they were what 5? That's almost top 3rd in the AL.

And for the 2nd bolded there. Sanchez? Norris? These are top 25 prospects in all of baseball. Then you have Hoffman who shouldn't take too long once he's back on the mound. Obviously not this year, but soon afterwards. Then Castro, Osuna.

The Jays have potentially the best pitching prospect group in the league. So I'm not sure how there's nobody coming up from the minors anytime soon is the least bit accurate. It's completely inaccurate.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

There is absolutely no way the Jays have the worst rotation in the AL, and your statement about having no one in the minors is false.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
I see a lot of people not putting Sanchez in the rotation next year. Is hat because people think he's more suited for the pen or he just needs a little more seasoning before moving to the rotation?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Martin is as good as people say at pitch framing and controling his pitchers, which current starter benefits most from Martin behind the plate.

1) Dickie
2) Buehrle
3) Happ
4) Hutchinson
5) Stroman

I gotta think its going to be either Buehrle or Happ, both seem to be the types that are always around the plate and would benefit from Martin skillset.

what about the young guys? Who umps would be like, not giving them strikes because they haven't proven themselves capable of consistently throwing strikes yet. It's a stupid reason for not calling a strike but it happens. Vest always get that little extra benefit. Maybe Martin's framing will help a little with that as well. Those framed maybe/maybe not strikes that they don't get the benefit of now certainly look like strikes.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I see a lot of people not putting Sanchez in the rotation next year. Is hat because people think he's more suited for the pen or he just needs a little more seasoning before moving to the rotation?

I want him there. He's not more suited for the pen but some want to give him more experience in the pen before moving to a starter which helps the pen at the same time, and we have Happ, Buerhle contracts expiring after this year.

There's also the IP limit argument, which I don't agree with. If a guy is going to be here then he should be able to pitch like a normal starter without a limit, but if there is a limit then starting him in the pen and moving him to the rotation in May or June means he won't have to stop pitching in September due to his limit.

And there might be the super 2 argument as well. Not sure how that works, but if they started him in the minors for a couple months and then brought him up to start he won't get super 2 status if that's right. I really have no clue.

n1ck13

Jul 28, 2013

I would argue that Sanchez and Norris should not be in the rotation to start next year; if they succeed in AAA then they can be used as bullpen help later in the year; June or July to keep their innings down. I think that both Sanchez and Norris will become main members of the rotation shortly; but lost on all their talent is the fact that Sanchez made all of 8 appearances and 6 starts in AAA and only 3 of them were more than 5 innnings. Norris made 5 appearances and 4 starts with 2 more than 5 innings. Neither are quite ready; they need a half year in AAA.

LaCarriere

I would argue that Sanchez and Norris should not be in the rotation to start next year; if they succeed in AAA then they can be used as bullpen help later in the year; June or July to keep their innings down. I think that both Sanchez and Norris will become main members of the rotation shortly; but lost on all their talent is the fact that Sanchez made all of 8 appearances and 6 starts in AAA and only 3 of them were more than 5 innnings. Norris made 5 appearances and 4 starts with 2 more than 5 innings. Neither are quite ready; they need a half year in AAA.

I would agree. They are both 21 and have very few AAA starts/appearances between them.

I mean, they are big question marks at the MLB level with so little AAA experience. Why rush them?

They should be looked at as possible injury call-ups, or mid-season call-ups if they are excelling in AAA, not pieces you want on your opening day roster if you plan to compete. In a perfect world AA should be looking at adding a guy like Shields, Santana, Volquez, etc so we can give those guys a full year to develop in AAA, but I just don't know if he has the money.

If he feels he can offload Navarro for a cheap bullpen arm or prospect, then backloading another deal for somebody like Volquez or Santana would be ideal. It's not a stretch to think that their starters will miss a game here or there, so they can use Sanchez / Norris in those spots while they otherwise spend a year in AAA. You can never really have too much SP.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There is absolutely no way the Jays have the worst rotation in the AL, and your statement about having no one in the minors is false.

Red Sox, Astros, Twins, Rangers, White Sox in AL. D-Backs and Rockies in NL. All with worse rotations than Jays. Just rattled off names without checking so there's probably someone obvious I've missed as well.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Does anyone else think that AA will address Lf through trade, and go after a guy who isn't a star but can provide value as more of an all-around guy than an offensive guy like Melky. Someone like Ackley or Saunders, maybe Parra as a guy who provides solid D and around league average at the plate. Maybe even someone like Daniel Murphy who we've been linked to in the past and can play either LF or 2B.

I don't see us getting someone more established, just because I don't think he wants to touch the prospects who are close, or use too many of the guys further away, but I also don't see him having a problem moving 1 or 2 of the guys in the lower minors to avoid going into the season with Dirks/Pillar as 3 and 4 on the OF depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad