Blue Jays Discussion: Martin, Donaldson .. What Else Is Up Your Sleeve AA? (hint: it's Saunders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
No thanks to "Big Game". If the Jays are going to spend the money, i'd rather have a proven playoff performer.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Rumour has it that the O's make take a flyer on Rasmus on a short term deal to fill their outfield needs.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You just know he will put up a .850 OPS, 5 WAR season with Baltimore.

You know it. And he'll crush the jays. One of his solid seasons and his dad can tell everyone how their hitting coach knows how to work with Colby until he starts to suck again. He is the ideal buy low kind of player. If he wasn't a jay we'd likely feel that way

Scion

May 25, 2012
To put our starting pitching in perspective....

Nolin and Graveman are likely starting for a good team like Oakland this year.

And they wouldn't have even cracked our rotation.

They probably don't crack Oakland's rotation either unless a pitcher is moved out. As it stands, the following pitchers are firmly entrenched in the Oakland rotation: Sonny Gray, Jeff Samardzija, Scott Kazmir, Jesse Chavez and Jarrod Parker (with Drew Pomeranz as the likely 6th option).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They probably don't crack Oakland's rotation either unless a pitcher is moved out. As it stands, the following pitchers are firmly entrenched in the Oakland rotation: Sonny Gray, Jeff Samardzija, Scott Kazmir, Jesse Chavez and Jarrod Parker (with Drew Pomeranz as the likely 6th option).

Samardzija is apparently on the way out, so that's one spot.

Also seeing Jesse Chavez on that list makes me laugh so hard. He was so awful with the Jays.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Rumour has it that the O's make take a flyer on Rasmus on a short term deal to fill their outfield needs.

Rasmus is likely going to be a bargain for whomever signs him. I'm still irritated that the Jays burned the proverbial bridges with him, he could have been a good, cheap alternative in LF with the positional flexibility to shift over to CF if Pompey faltered.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Samardzija is apparently on the way out, so that's one spot.

Also seeing Jesse Chavez on that list makes me laugh so hard. He was so awful with the Jays.

I wasn't so much arguing the point that Graveman and Nolin could start for the A's, as much as the implication that the Jays have a better rotation as a result of Gravemand and Nolin starting. If Nolin and Graveman start for the Athletics it will be because of trades to move impending FA's out, and nothing else.

As for Chavez, he is just another in a long line of pitchers who had an otherwise dying career revitalized by the Coliseum.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Rasmus is likely going to be a bargain for whomever signs him. I'm still irritated that the Jays burned the proverbial bridges with him, he could have been a good, cheap alternative in LF with the positional flexibility to shift over to CF if Pompey faltered.

Rasmus is just as responsible for those bridges being burned as the Jays are.

Scion

May 25, 2012
No thanks to "Big Game". If the Jays are going to spend the money, i'd rather have a proven playoff performer.

And I'd rather have a SP with a dominant track record over multiple seasons. Playoffs are an incredibly small sample size, anyone can go hot or cold over such a small stretch.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Rasmus is just as responsible for those bridges being burned as the Jays are.

Rasmus also has a room temperature IQ. The Jays should not have let that stop them from bringing him back on an inexpensive deal.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/jays-hope-new-turf-will-be-softer-for-players/

Looks like they are installing some new turf at the dome as a stop gap until they put grass in for 2018.

Interesting stuff.

“Our turf was starting to get worn down,†says Kelly Keyes, vice-president, building services for the Blue Jays. “(The new one) will be softer for the players, it will be better for their bodies, and the ball won’t roll as fast, it will be much slower.â€

The difference won’t be only in going from one field to another, but also in the way the new carpet is laid down and handled.

The previous surface ended up hardening over time because of the way it compresses while rolled up for Rogers Centre’s other events, causing the grass blades to flatten out. Compounding matters, the mixture of sand and rubber crumbs poured on the turf to make it springier only added to the weight, increasing the pressure on it while sitting and especially while rolled up.

A switch this past season to a rubber crumb only mixture helped for a little while, but the surface by then had seen better days.

“The sand adds a lot of weight to it,†explained Keyes. “Our big rolls ranged from 11,000-12,000 pounds.â€

This time the rolls should weigh about 6,000 pounds. With approximately half of the pressure and a slightly bigger crumb size, the Blue Jays hope the surface won’t compress as much.

I'm curious as to how they make it easier on bodies by going with a version that weighs considerably less. Yes there will be less compression when it's rolled up. But I would think less weight means less material and subsequently less of a cushion. I'm not an engineer obviously, just my first impression of the article. If what they say is true, then it's great news. Either way just having "new" turf is good rather than one that's been treaded and packed for a few seasons.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

One could argue that Colby lit the flame that burnt said bridge. Really might be best to move on.

That being said, he's one of the most gifted outfielders in the game. All the tools, no tool box.

Scion

May 25, 2012
One could argue that Colby lit the flame that burnt said bridge. Really might be best to move on.

That being said, he's one of the most gifted outfielders in the game. All the tools, no tool box.

As you can no doubt tell from my avatar my opinion is compromised by extreme bias.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I think he's just trying to say the right things to both Jays and A's fans.

First reaction was disapointment and shock. I don't think anyone thought Lawrie would be trade bait going into the off season. I didn't. He's disapointed that if the Jays make a few more moves and are a playoff contender, he won't be part of it. Canadian born player just traded from his favourite team, and only Canadian MLB team.

Second reaction is probably to sell himself to A's fans -- happy to play on grass, should help his body (even if playing on turf didn't contribute to past injuries, etc). Happy to be on a team that was in the postseason (even though just 1 game), etc.

My thinking as well. I don't think he meant it as a shot at the Jays. In the same interview you can tell it's still a shock to him and he didn't want to leave. I remember when we traded for him (as a 2B) the concern was his terrible defence but he had a good bat. Unfortunately we only seen a bit of what he could do offensively but his D was solid.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
As you can no doubt tell from my avatar my opinion is compromised by extreme bias.

Hey man, I understand. You're talking to a guy who once wrote an article titled; Dr. Rasmuslove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Colby.

I would've liked to see it end differently, but I believe the org is better off.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm curious as to how they make it easier on bodies by going with a version that weighs considerably less. Yes there will be less compression when it's rolled up. But I would think less weight means less material and subsequently less of a cushion. I'm not an engineer obviously, just my first impression of the article. If what they say is true, then it's great news. Either way just having "new" turf is good rather than one that's been treaded and packed for a few seasons.

Not to mention the old turf just looked god awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad