Marner or Pettersson

Marner or Pettersson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
EP is leading a Benning built Canucks team to 1st in the division as a sophomore

His 102.7 mph shot (higher than Ovechkin) equates to 99.5 mph with one hand which equates to 2 mph more than Marner's 2 handed slapper #MATH

And yet he's arguably been the 4th most valuable player on the team this year behind Markstrom, Hughes and JT Miller. But yeah he's definitely leading them.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
EP is younger , point per game player, a centre, defensively very reliable , and is currently turning JT Miller ( who had a career high of 57 pts) into a point per game player.

EP is doing all this as the main guy in Van where Marner is the Robin to Mathews/Tavares Batman

If they switched teams and Marner was asked to carry the Canucks as a winger, i guarantee they are a lottery team.

hows this even close?

edit* i guess its not close according to the poll... carry on

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
And yet he's arguably been the 4th most valuable player on the team this year behind Markstrom, Hughes and JT Miller. But yeah he's definitely leading them.

If Canucks lose Marky they would still have Demko.. very capable.

If they lose Hughes or JT Miller it would hurt for sure but it wouldnt effect the team as bad as if they lost EP40 and would force Horvat to play 1c and Gaudette/Sutter at 2c.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A whole lot of excuses.
There are lots of weak teams in the Atlantic. Two good teams in TBay and Boston but the rest is meh.
It’s a shame for you the NHL doesn’t break the season into pre and post Keefe points.
Actually that shows if Sheldon Keefe was the Leafs coach from the start of the season they would be comftorably in a top 3 playoff position in the Atlantic. So when Leafs fans were calling for Babcock to be fired after last seasons playoffs it shows we were correct.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Actually that shows if Sheldon Keefe was the Leafs coach from the start of the season they would be comftorably in a top 3 playoff position in the Atlantic. So when Leafs fans were calling for Babcock to be fired after last seasons playoffs it shows we were correct.
Nope. It shows that you are playing better now than you were to start the season. It doesn’t excuse the poor effort and play by many Leafs players that even Leaf fans were calling out. It’s always easier to pick one scapegoat like the coach or goalie rafter than holding the star players accountable. If the Leafs want to be viewed as a top contender they need to be able to play through some bad coaching, injuries and goaltending. Just like every other good team.
If the Canucks were able to throw out their worst 20 game stretch when the players played poorly they’d be tracking for more points too. As would most teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nope. It shows that you are playing better now than you were to start the season. It doesn’t excuse the poor effort and play by many Leafs players that even Leaf fans were calling out. It’s always easier to pick one scapegoat like the coach or goalie rafter than holding the star players accountable. If the Leafs want to be viewed as a top contender they need to be able to play through some bad coaching, injuries and goaltending. Just like every other good team.
If the Canucks were able to throw out their worst 20 game stretch when the players played poorly they’d be tracking for more points too. As would most teams.
The Leafs have been playing through injuries since their first game this season, because their lineup has not been 100% healthy at any point.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I got both Nylander and Marner better than Pettersson personally. Not here to berate Pettersson though, he's an excellent young player - just not on the level of Marner or Nylander.

Reactions: 6ix

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. Same as every team. Why don’t you talk to Penguin fans and see how much sympathy you get.
When I brought up the Leafs injuries compared to what Pittsburgh had I was told who cares because the Penguins were still missing Crosby and Malkin at certain points this season. I get they are more valuable by themselves when either is not playing, however that didn't mean when Toronto was missing Tavares or Marner at certain points that they weren't valuable to the Leafs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
EP is younger , point per game player, a centre, defensively very reliable , and is currently turning JT Miller ( who had a career high of 57 pts) into a point per game player.

Is he though??

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Whenever I see fans of other teams use this as an excuse, I can't help but laugh.

Injuries are injuries. Every team has them - the good teams will always be fine.

The reason the Leafs are behind in the standings is because they're still climbing out of a hole that our previous idiot coach put us into the first quarter of the season.

Leafs are playing at a 114 point pace under Keefe and are head and shoulders above any other team in the league offensively under him.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Injuries are injuries. Every team has them - the good teams will always be fine.

The reason the Leafs are behind in the standings is because they're still climbing out of a hole that our previous idiot coach put us into the first quarter of the season.

Leafs are playing at a 114 point pace under Keefe and are head and shoulders above any other team in the league offensively under him.
The worst decision Babcock did was sticking to his rule that Andersen always plays the first night of a back to back and Hutchinson plays the second night.

That cost them wins against Montreal on two occasions, Washington and Boston. The night before those games the Leafs had played Columbus twice, San Jose and Minnesota. While they did win a few of those first games Babcock could have started Hutchinson and saved Andersen for the second night against the better teams.

Reactions: IPS

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

He's ahead of all of them actually.

Take Pettersson away and the Canucks are a worse team relative to taking off 1 of the others

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Is he though??

Pettersson very much is. Leads the team in +/-

Watching him without the puck and recover the puck when he or his team loses it is just as a treat as watching him with the puck.

Marner-

Games Played -40
Giveaways - 53

Pettersson-

Games played 51
Giveaways - 20

Corsi

Marner- 53%
Pettersson- 64%

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I never used it as an excuse. It's still a fact that this season Toronto has played games without Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Muzzin, Hyman, Dermott, Johnsson, Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Moore.

You are kind of using it as an excuse because you mentioned it in regards to part of the reason why the Leafs aren't higher in the standings.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I got both Nylander and Marner better than Pettersson personally. Not here to berate Pettersson though, he's an excellent young player - just not on the level of Marner or Nylander.

Bang on with this post. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Reactions: IPS

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I never used it as an excuse. It's still a fact that this season Toronto has played games without Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Muzzin, Hyman, Dermott, Johnsson, Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Moore.
When I brought up the Leafs injuries compared to what Pittsburgh had I was told who cares because the Penguins were still missing Crosby and Malkin at certain points this season. I get they are more valuable by themselves when either is not playing, however that didn't mean when Toronto was missing Tavares or Marner at certain points that they weren't valuable to the Leafs.
When the Penguins lost Guentzel and Crosby, Rust and McCann and others stepped up. That’s what good teams do. No excuses. Next man up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad