Marner or Pettersson?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's not that Marner has to be better than Pettersson. I personally don't see how you can think Pettersson is better and in the same sentence say Marner could also play on his line. That's like those people who use to complain about Auston Matthews lack of points and referred to him as a 69 point player and also wanted him to sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes. So let's end this already and to answer your question yes Marner would be good enough to play on McDavid's line, you happy?

Okay...

So you can see how McDavid can be better but Marner can play on his line but you can't fathom how someone could think that Pettersson is better and yet Marner could play on his line....?

Can you explain this weird paradox you have where Marner can only play on a line with guys he's better than unless they are Connor McDavid?

Also... Can you explain what on earth people saying that Matthews was a 69-point player (when he in fact was a 69-point player) and saying he should sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes has to do with anything?

None of this makes any sense at all.

Reactions: Regal

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
Both are really good players

EP is better at the same age but player growth isn't linear, EP is also a C and I think C is not only a tougher position it just more valuable. All things being equal I think EP takes the nod for me.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Marner gets more points then EP in their careers. However, Marner Passes the puck to either Matthews who is probably the best goal scores in the NHL since OV and if not to him then to Tavarse who is no slouch either so no surprise that Marner gets the Assist totals he gets.

This to me comes down to postions and like I'd pick Matthews over Marner I'd also probably pick EP as well, that being said Marner is damn good too and this is very close

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This whole discussion about comparing their 1st two years is pretty funny for a number of reasons.

1. This is never discussed the other way, when Leaf stars have outperformed pretty much everybody at the same age.
2. Marner was 19 for his 1st year in the league. Pettersson was 20 for the large majority of his.
3. Pettersson walked right into a 1st line, prime offensive opportunity situation with the team's best players. Marner spent the majority of his 1st two years on the 2nd/3rd (occasionally 4th) line with the team's depth, for no justifiable reason.
4. Pettersson walked into the league right as league scoring was increasing, so a direct comparison of their 1st two years is not entirely accurate.
5. Marner's increase in ES production in his 3rd year, while predictable and understandable based on his metrics and previous circumstances, is a much bigger jump than most see and more than should be expected from Pettersson.
6. Pettersson's advantage over their 1st two years has only been ES. Marner has always been superior on the PP.

Without even adjusting for league scoring rates, if we were to apply their respective rates to an equal amount of ice time that an average star gets (16:30 ES TOI/GP, 3:30 PP TOI/GP), Marner would still outscore Pettersson over their 1st two years.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I can't imagine masquerading as a hockey fan and spending 15,000 posts in almost 17 years just to gaslight Leafs fans; that's got to be pretty depressing way to live.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I don't like either. I'd rather not root for either. Rather see them as the enemy. If I had to pick one, I'd take Pettersson because to me he seems to be the one more likely to be injured.

So, Elias.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This whole discussion about comparing their 1st two years is pretty funny for a number of reasons.

1. This is never discussed the other way, when Leaf stars have outperformed pretty much everybody at the same age.
2. Marner was 19 for his 1st year in the league. Pettersson was 20 for the large majority of his.
3. Pettersson walked right into a 1st line, prime offensive opportunity situation with the team's best players. Marner spent the majority of his 1st two years on the 2nd/3rd (occasionally 4th) line with the team's depth, for no justifiable reason.
4. Pettersson walked into the league right as league scoring was increasing, so a direct comparison of their 1st two years is not entirely accurate.
5. Marner's increase in ES production in his 3rd year, while predictable and understandable based on his metrics and previous circumstances, is a much bigger jump than most see and more than should be expected from Pettersson.
6. Pettersson's advantage over their 1st two years has only been ES. Marner has always been superior on the PP.

Without even adjusting for league scoring rates, if we were to apply their respective rates to an equal amount of ice time that an average star gets (16:30 ES TOI/GP, 3:30 PP TOI/GP), Marner would still outscore Pettersson over their 1st two years.
I remember in Marner's 2nd season he was struggling at the start of it and it's when Babcock had him on the 4th line. In fact it wasn't until January of 2018 when he was put on a line with Kadri and Marleau that he started to register goals and points on a regular basis.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
You can't really decide before both of them are on a contract. For me it will all boil down to the contract, but if we are talking 11m per season Marner vs ELC Pettersson i'd obviously go with ELC Pettersson.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Okay...

So you can see how McDavid can be better but Marner can play on his line but you can't fathom how someone could think that Pettersson is better and yet Marner could play on his line....?

Can you explain this weird paradox you have where Marner can only play on a line with guys he's better than unless they are Connor McDavid?

Also... Can you explain what on earth people saying that Matthews was a 69-point player (when he in fact was a 69-point player) and saying he should sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes has to do with anything?

None of this makes any sense at all.
In my opinion it's one thing to put Marner on a line with McDavid because he's the best player in the NHL. As for Pettersson he's still a nice young player, however I also think he's overhyped and part of that is playing in a Canadian market like Vancouver. Would we be seeing this topic if Pettersson was playing in Arizona and still putting up the exact same numbers?

I used Matthews and him possibly being an RFA and signing an offer sheet with Arizona would suggest he is better than a 69 point player, even though he also had 40 goals as rookie and only top players are talked about getting offer sheets. So they would have to admit Matthews is better than they want to admit. Anyway I think it's one thing to say Pettersson is better than Marner and another thing to say Marner could play on his line and that talk reminded me of those who complained about Matthews points and also wanted him to sign an offer sheet.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
In my opinion it's one thing to put Marner on a line with McDavid because he's the best player in the NHL. As for Pettersson he's still a nice young player, however I also think he's overhyped and part of that is playing in a Canadian market like Vancouver. Would we be seeing this topic if Pettersson was playing in Arizona and still putting up the exact same numbers?

I used Matthews and him possibly being an RFA and signing an offer sheet with Arizona would suggest he is better than a 69 point player, even though he also had 40 goals as rookie and only top players are talked about getting offer sheets. So they would have to admit Matthews is better than they want to admit. Anyway I think it's one thing to say Pettersson is better than Marner and another thing to say Marner could play on his line and that talk reminded me of those who complained about Matthews points and also wanted him to sign an offer sheet.
Wat8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad