Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Completely agree with your analysis. Didnt we just do this with Kessel(because I dont see why Marner will be a center over winger). The whole you cant build a team on a smallish winger? Anyway I guess i have to buy in to this draft. A Nylander ,Marner combo would be nice. And i have to give Hunter and Dubas credit for influencing the drafting of Nylander.

When it's set in stone that Marner will be a winger over a centre then you can start making the comparison to Kessel.

Besides, we'll forget all about Hanifin once we draft Chychrun next year. ;)

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Completely agree with your analysis. Didnt we just do this with Kessel(because I dont see why Marner will be a center over winger). The whole you cant build a team on a smallish winger? Anyway I guess i have to buy in to this draft. A Nylander ,Marner combo would be nice. And i have to give Hunter and Dubas credit for influencing the drafting of Nylander.

You can build a team around any size player, at any position. The key idea is to surround them with some equal talent, which is why kessel was ultimately a failure in Toronto.

Seems like you are trying your best to cast doubt on a young player for the sole reason of casting doubt, not in the interest of a real discussion.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If Marner is part of a great top six or top nine with the likes of Nylander, Kapanen, Kadri, JVR, Brown, Johnson, 2016 first, etc. a la Tampa Bay, I don't think you could be upset with that, but obviously even if Marner is a winger, you hope he's closer to a Zetterberg than a Kessel and brings more ingredients to the table.

The Leafs are rebuilding. They'll get other chances to add a big battleship center, a big bodied, swift skating two way beast of a defenseman and other types necessary to piece together a real winner. Marner will have his shot at being a big contributing member to that.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If Marner is part of a great top six or top nine with the likes of Nylander, Kapanen, Kadri, JVR, Brown, Johnson, 2016 first, etc. a la Tampa Bay, I don't think you could be upset with that, but obviously even if Marner is a winger, you hope he's closer to a Zetterberg than a Kessel and brings more ingredients to the table.

The Leafs are rebuilding. They'll get other chances to add a big battleship center, a big bodied, swift skating two way beast of a defenseman and other types necessary to piece together a real winner. Marner will have his shot at being a big contributing member to that.

You speak as if Kessel would be some sort of disappointment. I'd personally love to have a top 10 offensive forward in the game on my team, even if his defense is garbage. Marner's won't be though because his motor is too strong and his defensive game is pretty good for his age and offensive talent.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
When it's set in stone that Marner will be a winger over a centre then you can start making the comparison to Kessel.

Besides, we'll forget all about Hanifin once we draft Chychrun next year. ;)

That is of course unless we get Matthews right? If we go for a forward we could aim for a dman like Charlie Mcavoy with Pittsburghs pick or another highly ranked guy who slides.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That is of course unless we get Matthews right? If we go for a forward we could aim for a dman like Charlie Mcavoy with Pittsburghs pick or another highly ranked guy who slides.

we could also be in the position to trade up without emptying our later picks if all goes well with the number of guys we have on one year deals

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The calculation on Marner is he's a special talent and over the long run a more impactful player than Hanifin is likely to be.

I think Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux and Kyle Turris are good examples of the likely range we see with this guy. Patrick Kane is your best case scenario, who jumped in right away despite being ridiculously small and hit the ground running towards helping a franchise find its way back to greatness. Next is Claude Giroux, who was a small guy who spent a few years maturing and evolving into a high end scorer. The worst case scenario is Turris. He was a very skilled prospect who took a few years to get going, but didn't have the ceiling that people hoped he would have.

Marner likely has the higher ceiling between he and Hanifin, but Hanifin probably has a better floor, and if they both reach about 80% of their potential, Hanifin likely is a more impactful player because of his position, skating and frame.

Based on what exactly? The only thing that makes him 'safer' is size - yet the Leafs own draft history has a perfect example of a 'higher floor' defensemen floping. I'd also argue that a centre is as valuable, if not more so than a defensemen - though that comes down to personal preference.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Based on what exactly? The only thing that makes him 'safer' is size - yet the Leafs own draft history has a perfect example of a 'higher floor' defensemen floping. I'd also argue that a centre is as valuable, if not more so than a defensemen - though that comes down to personal preference.

Yeah and Marner's "size" roadblock right now might be easily fixable with time. He isn't even shaving yet and has a tall brother who experienced a big growth spurt after the age of 18, meaning that he could very well gain considerable height and weight starting literally any month now. He has a better motor than Hanifin imo, so if he can solve his size concerns he could completely blow Hanifin out of the water.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
we could also be in the position to trade up without emptying our later picks if all goes well with the number of guys we have on one year deals

Maybe. Not going to lie though, any one of the big four and one of Nylander, Mcleod , Juolevi, Brown or Clague would be huge.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Except Marner is far from a lock to be a center, and even if he is one he's not gonna be your prototypical guy with size and skill that you need come playoff time.

You're right that Hanifin does have a high floor, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have an high ceiling either. He isn't Luke Schenn. Hanifin can skate and move the puck, something Luke Schenn could never do. He's also been impressive in the preseason offensively, having 4 assists in 2 games considering the knock on him coming out of the draft was if his offense was going to translate.

It's okay to admit it guys, Hunter screwed up.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Except Marner is far from a lock to be a center, and even if he is one he's not gonna be your prototypical guy with size and skill that you need come playoff time.

You're right that Hanifin does have a high floor, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have an high ceiling either. He isn't Luke Schenn. Hanifin can skate and move the puck, something Luke Schenn could never do. He's also been impressive in the preseason offensively, having 4 assists in 2 games considering the knock on him coming out of the draft was if his offense was going to translate.

What based on two preseason games for Marner and a few for Hanifin? Leafs management and drafting is run by a committee of people and scouts. If management and the scouts as a whole like Hanifin better they would have picked him. Perhaps you should give it a year or two and more than 2 games to toot your boy's horn next time, when Marner will be stronger, bigger and more confident at the pro level.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I wanted Hanifin but it's still to early to early to say Hunter screwed up even though i was disappointed with Marners camp .

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I wanted Hanifin but it's still to early to early to say Hunter screwed up even though i was disappointed with Marners camp .

i agree. the kid has skills. we need to wait for his body to catch up with those skills. there is no shame in not being physically mature enough at a young 18 years old. by the time marner is 21-22 no one is going to be *****ing

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Ugh... posts like this make me wish for Hanifin to totally fail when it isn't the dude's fault at all. Tell you what, you love Noah so much, go stroke his **** in the Carolina forums instead of here.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

fathockeyguy.gif

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Carolina forums ---->

This guys' username used to be Hanifin btw, for those of you who don't know.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
What based on two preseason games for Marner and a few for Hanifin? Leafs management and drafting is run by a committee of people and scouts. If management and the scouts as a whole like Hanifin better they would have picked him. Perhaps you should give it a year or two and more than 2 games to toot your boy's horn next time, when Marner will be stronger, bigger and more confident at the pro level.

Management and scouts can make mistakes too, especially when the guy who's in charge has a direct connection to the player he drafted.

Ugh... posts like this make me wish for Hanifin to totally fail when it isn't the dude's fault at all. Tell you what, you love Noah so much, go stroke his **** in the Carolina forums instead of here.

Posts like this? You mean posts that aren't propping him up and labeling Marner the 2nd coming of Dougie? Posts that said he might be better than Eichel?

Here's my issue with Mitch, I don't see special in him. I see good, but I don't see great in him, and I never have. His unimpressive showing in the preseason was just icing on the cake. Kadri, Rielly, Nylander all had more impressive camps and preseasons when they were 18 years old, all of them had that innate ability and looked like they could be something special down the line. Marner on the other hand looked passive, maybe afraid even. Wasn't effective with or without the puck and didn't show off his speed much. It wasn't a very good first impression for those who haven't seen him before.

Anyway, I'll show myself out. I dare not speak more ill of the great Mitchell Marner.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Speak ill of Marner all you want. It's the constant mentioning of Hanifin that's getting old. He's NHL ready his first year, Marner isn't. This doesn't mean Noah is guaranteed to have a better career than Marner. Constantly lamenting the fact that the Leafs didn't pick your guy and giving us daily updates on Hanifin is annoying.

It takes years for prospects to truly show what they are. Some come in immediately and dominate but then fade into obscurity. Some start slow but go on to be great. Give it time before posting such absolutes like "Hunter screwed up."

mikebel111*

Canes will regret drafting Hanifin. So far his pre season shows what I believe, he has future Erik Johnson written all over him and pre season confirms that so far. Somewhere between Luke Schenn and Erik Johnson, now you don't spend a top 5 pick on those d man though and looks like Canes are paying for it. Maybe they learn in the future

on the other hand, Marner will be great and showed flashes of great but needs time. One think knowledge hockey fans know Mark Hunter has an eye for talent and everything from Marner shows so far that Hunter indeed made a great choice here.

Charizard

Tank Nation
Oct 6, 2011
Ontario
Gotta love all the hockey scouts on this board. Some of you are insufferable.

HE'S ONLY PLAYED 2 PRESEASON GAMES

I guess because he didn't log any points, means he's a bust right? I thought he made some good plays, but definitely looked nervous.

Right from the draft...

Mark Hunter: He's probably going back to London
Mitch: I'm probably going back to London

Jfc, He's a hell of a prospect, one of the best ones we've had in DECADES.

Kid needs to grow a bit, but his game will come. It's an adjustment for any player of his size, whose relied on speed and skill so far. He will build his strength and the rest will take care of itself.

There's no ****ing need for a prospect to make the NHL out of his draft year. It's very RARE that a kid does. We're going into a rebuild. Marner has many years to get to where he needs to be, before we'll even be in a consistent playoff position.

I think a lot of people will be surprised when Nylander is most likely sent back down to the AHL. Has he shown offensive upside? Yup. Has he been defensively responsive/the best center? Nope. He needs more time too, so let him develop that **** before we rush him too.

We finally have some great prospects, no need to think the sky is falling because of 2 preseason games lol :laugh::handclap:

mikebel111*

see I don't even hate Noah but stop saying he will be amazing while Marner wont

but I know this username has a crystal ball

mikebel111*

Gotta love all the hockey scouts on this board. Some of you are insufferable.

HE'S ONLY PLAYED 2 PRESEASON GAMES

I guess because he didn't log any points, means he's a bust right? I thought he made some good plays, but definitely looked nervous.

Right from the draft...

Mark Hunter: He's probably going back to London
Mitch: I'm probably going back to London

Jfc, He's a hell of a prospect, one of the best ones we've had in DECADES.

Kid needs to grow a bit, but his game will come. It's an adjustment for any player of his size, whose relied on speed and skill so far. He will build his strength and the rest will take care of itself.

There's no ****ing need for a prospect to make the NHL out of his draft year. It's very RARE that a kid does. We're going into a rebuild. Marner has many years to get to where he needs to be, before we'll even be in a consistent playoff position.

I think a lot of people will be surprised when Nylander is most likely sent back down to the AHL. Has he shown offensive upside? Yup. Has he been defensively responsive/the best center? Nope. He needs more time too, so let him develop that **** before we rush him too.

We finally have some great prospects, no need to think the sky is falling because of 2 preseason games lol :laugh::handclap:

for the most part its this guy who was named hanifin who is declaring Marner the biggest bust ever and Hanifin a sure fire hall of famer

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Management and scouts can make mistakes too, especially when the guy who's in charge has a direct connection to the player he drafted.

Posts like this? You mean posts that aren't propping him up and labeling Marner the 2nd coming of Dougie? Posts that said he might be better than Eichel?

Here's my issue with Mitch, I don't see special in him. I see good, but I don't see great in him, and I never have. His unimpressive showing in the preseason was just icing on the cake. Kadri, Rielly, Nylander all had more impressive camps and preseasons when they were 18 years old, all of them had that innate ability and looked like they could be something special down the line. Marner on the other hand looked passive, maybe afraid even. Wasn't effective with or without the puck and didn't show off his speed much. It wasn't a very good first impression for those who haven't seen him before.

Anyway, I'll show myself out. I dare not speak more ill of the great Mitchell Marner.

Holy **** bro I sure hope you got your resume mailed to every NHL team. You can project a prospect after 2 preseason games?!?!

Please don't show yourself out. You've got a lot to tell us if you already know these things about Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad