1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

All Marner talk can continue here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
With his 8.5D rating....

They must have. Meant B

If it's unlikely they reach their potential then why make their potential so high

Anyway I think he's got a chance to be an elite talent and good chance to be a 1st line player and all star

weems

Jul 3, 2008
People really need to chill and let the kid breathe.

By the way people talk of him on this site you'd expect him to come in right away and be Dougie circa 92-93.

He's not Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby or McDavid.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
People really need to chill and let the kid breathe.

By the way people talk of him on this site you'd expect him to come in right away and be Dougie circa 92-93.

He's not Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby or McDavid.

Probably since we haven't had a prospect like him since... 92-93.

CrayonSandwich

Jan 31, 2012
Victoria, BC
In all seriousness though, who cares if we think he got a poor rating? We know he's a great prospect, why does it matter if some website doesn't think as highly of him as we do? Get over it guys.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
In all seriousness though, who cares if we think he got a poor rating? We know he's a great prospect, why does it matter if some website doesn't think as highly of him as we do? Get over it guys.

Exactly. Prospect rankings don't make good prospects, the players do. I don't care if he's rated 7.0D. It doesn't change who he is. All it does (I hope) is make him want to prove people wrong.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Can we all get over this rating? It doesnt mean ****. Doesnt this site have a rep for **** ratings? Just because some basement dweller thinkes hes should be a D doesnt mean a thing.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Can we all get over this rating? It doesnt mean ****. Doesnt this site have a rep for **** ratings? Just because some basement dweller thinkes hes should be a D doesnt mean a thing.

The whole rating system is a dinosaur in relation to today's NHL. Forwards are all about skill and speed and hockey IQ and character ... and not much about size and braun etc. So if he rates as an 8.5 on skill ... that is all you need to hear. That 8.5 **COMPLETELY** defines his chances of success in the NHL.

To say a guy is highly skilled ... and then say, NO, we don't think he will be successful is just ridiculous.
It's a good reason to ignore the whole rating system.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Only way Marner is pegged as a D is at 9.0 which would drop him to a 3rd liner, and we know his D isn't anything to scoff at. Either way, I'm confident we have an amazing player and we are gonna love this kid for a good decade.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Nylander should be ahead. Sporting size enoungh, skill, speed and a better shot.

As much as I like Marner ... can't disagree with this. Nylander has played against a lot of men ... and has an incredible highlight reel himself. Nylander has bulked up, amazed at the WJC, adjusted to the A and is pretty close to the show.

Just amazing we have a 2 prospects who are this good.

We just need a big winger, a #1D ... and Austin Matthews :)

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Can we please get away from this rating thing. There is no point discussing it any further. We all disagree with it and know he is going to be a star.

Other than highlight packs and a few games that i have seen him play in. I never really got to see him at center much. I know how skilled he is and i know he is good defensively but i dont know how he is on faceoffs. Can anybody tell me if he is good on the draw?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
As much as I like Marner ... can't disagree with this. Nylander has played against a lot of men ... and has an incredible highlight reel himself. Nylander has bulked up, amazed at the WJC, adjusted to the A and is pretty close to the show.

We probably have that as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Leafs just need a couple of picks to turn out.

By that I mean some later round picks to be more than just "not a bust 'cuz they made the NHL" type of player.

van Riemsdyk 6'3" - Marner 5'11" -Toninato 6'2"

I say most teams strike gold outside the 1st. couple of rounds, so heck why not the Leafs.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Nylander should be ahead. Sporting size enoungh, skill, speed and a better shot.

Nylander is ahead. Marner's last season has few peers, but there are a couple of comps (Wellwood, Gagne) that didn't turn into superstars. Nylander's season is literally without comparison. Nobody in the history of the sport in Sweden has done what he's done so far at this young age.

Both are truly amazing prospects. An embarrassment of riches in comparison to the second rate "top prospects" we've had recently, like Kadri and Rielly. It's very conceivable that both will end up the second best player in their drafts. (It's unlikely that Ekblad or McDavid will be surpassed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad