Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Would Mitch Marner be 1st., 2nd., 3rd. or 4th. in a non-generational draft?

Depends on which teams are selecting where?

Arizona drafted ahead of the Leafs and took Strome.

If there was no McEichel so if they picked ahead to Leafs than Marner would go after him.

Teams like Philly, Columbus, Carolina and others tried to trade up to #3 to draft Hanifin. So they value Hanifin > Marner.

So it all depends on individual team BPA ranking.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Rielly is just not following the same progression as top-end defencemen. His deceleration in development strongly indicates that he is not a Keith-level guy.

But you're right that never really know with defencemen. They're a lot harder to project. Who here saw Anton Stralman turning into one of the best defencemen on a cup contender? We all heard the hype, and what we saw was really only a few highlight reel plays in a sea of ****. And we don't really know what the impact of coaching change will be. Mike Babcock has positively worked magic with pretty mediocre defenceman.

You realize Rielly is way ahead of where Keith was at the same age?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm not going to unfairly hype Marner or Nylander just yet. Extremely optimistic, won't be surprised if one or both force the Leafs' hand by making the big club this fall but there will still be significant growing pains.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I wouldn't really say "way" ahead. Duncan Keith was optioned to the AHL to develop for a couple season. I would have to think if the Leafs had any defensive depth there's a good chance Rielly would be on the Marlies (given new management).

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Expectations for this year:
Stay in Jr.
#1 center
Deep memorial cup run
Captain

Too much?

No not too much, he will attain 3 of 4 of them for sure.... the one in question is the deep memorial cup run, as it will depend on a strong team effort and Marner playing to his potential(which I believe he will)plus WJC and a good chance at the ohl scoring title. So it could actually be 5 out of 6 or hopefully 6 for 6:nod:

And to add where would he go in another draft year. Lets say 2014, !st or 2nd last year Ekbland is good player so it would b be close, but I would still pick Marner 1st. And would have picked him 3rd this year and still believe in 3 years he could be the 2nd after Mcdavid if he grows more and hits his Potential.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Luke Schenn was also techincally ahead of Keith at 21 years old.

It's a known fact that defensemen can take a very long time to develop. Keith is a prime example of that.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
1st.

Here are comparables for his season:

M06MlPb.png

He is Stamkos/Tavares/Hall good.

How bout we let the kid play a few NHL games before we say he's as good as some of the very best players in the league?

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
How bout we let the kid play a few NHL games before we say he's as good as some of the very best players in the league?

The point is that Marner's draft season ranks up there with these comparables and as such a high expectation is not unreasonable. I think Marner will end up as an elite point producer and play for Canada at the Olympics through his prime.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Could this guy really be the 2nd best player in the draft (behind McDavid) like some people are saying lol

Wonderfulmitch

Aug 11, 2015

It's just tiring listening to people on the mainboard talk about how he is too small, meanwhile he would go first in most drafts. He put up 2ppg, just as much as John Tavares and better than stamkos/Hall. So why then would he be considered less of a prospect as them? I know people would flame me on the mainboard, but he is just as good a prospect as those guys.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
No not too much, he will attain 3 of 4 of them for sure.... the one in question is the deep memorial cup run, as it will depend on a strong team effort and Marner playing to his potential(which I believe he will)plus WJC and a good chance at the ohl scoring title. So it could actually be 5 out of 6 or hopefully 6 for 6:nod:

And to add where would he go in another draft year. Lets say 2014, !st or 2nd last year Ekbland is good player so it would b be close, but I would still pick Marner 1st. And would have picked him 3rd this year and still believe in 3 years he could be the 2nd after Mcdavid if he grows more and hits his Potential.

Forgot about WJC actually. So to revise my list:

-Stay in Jr.
-Captain of his team
-Play the year as the #1 center
-Challenge for the OHL scoring title
-Have a strong WJC performance
-Lead his team on a deep memorial cup run

I think the WJC could get in the way of the scoring title so I wouldn't expect him to win it outright. Staying in Jr. isn't really an accomplishment for Marner either.

If he can accomplish 5-6 of those it'll be a good season. I think what's also important is that he packs on some muscle and works on his explosiveness, which should come hand in hand with his strength. But I'm not going to throw a specific weight I want to see him at. It's really up to how he trains and what works for him.

Getting pretty excited though, he should be one of the last cuts in camp to get a better feel of what the pros are doing out there.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I saw the poll in this thread and wanted to ask you leafs faithful. Which 1st overall picks from the last 10 years or so would you take Marner over? I am curious to see how leafs fans view him and his future potential.

2015 - McDavid
2014 - Ekblad
2013 - MacKinnon
2012 - Yakupov
2011 - RNH
2010 - Hall
2009 - Tavares
2008 - Stamkos
2007 - Kane
2006 - Johnson

Just to be clear I will not be arguing anything I just want to see the responses. Also, for the record, I think Marner is a hell of a prospect. You are lucky to have him.

Thanks in advance.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I saw the poll in this thread and wanted to ask you leafs faithful. Which 1st overall picks from the last 10 years or so would you take Marner over? I am curious to see how leafs fans view him and his future potential.

2015 - McDavid
2014 - Ekblad
2013 - MacKinnon
2012 - Yakupov
2011 - RNH
2010 - Hall
2009 - Tavares
2008 - Stamkos
2007 - Kane
2006 - Johnson

Just to be clear I will not be arguing anything I just want to see the responses. Also, for the record, I think Marner is a hell of a prospect. You are lucky to have him.

Thanks in advance.

Yakupov, RNH, Johnson, maybe ekblad, I dunno, too early to say. Hell I even think he'd even give Mackinnon a run for his money although I'd say Mackinnon still wins over marner

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

2015 - McDavid
2014 - Ekblad
2013 - MacKinnon
2012 - Yakupov
2011 - RNH
2010 - Hall
2009 - Tavares
2008 - Stamkos
2007 - Kane
2006 - Johnson

Thanks in advance.

tough list, i would say yak, hall, and nuge, could challenge stamkos, mack, johnson and ekblad its really hard cause some players like hall/stamkos were not as impressive in jr but then again his game translated really well to the nhl, i think marner without hindsight would go ahead of the players i listed but i dont think he will necessarily be better then them

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
I talked to someone close to the hunters, and he said that this week the hunters have told him that they think Marner will be staying with the big team if he can display exactly what he did at prospect camp. No more no less, they think that he will be staying if he doesn't take a significant drop. Now that decision lies moreso with Shanny and Babs. However someone so close to it going out on a limb like that is nice to hear. :handclap: Will be very interesting to see.:popcorn:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I talked to someone close to the hunters, and he said that this week the hunters have told him that they think Marner will be staying with the big team if he can display exactly what he did at prospect camp. No more no less, they think that he will be staying if he doesn't take a significant drop. Now that decision lies moreso with Shanny and Babs. However someone so close to it going out on a limb like that is nice to hear. :handclap: Will be very interesting to see.:popcorn:

One last note on this as an Oilers fan. As exciting as it is to see the new picks in the big show, it is best not to rush them. Even if they can help in the short term, it's likely they can help more in the long term with more development. Letting Marner destroy juniours this season and be a heavy lifter on Team Canada could be very good down the road for you guys.

JMO

Edit: And thanks for the responses so far folks. I look forward to more opinions.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

2015 - McDavid
2014 - Ekblad
2013 - MacKinnon
2012 - Yakupov
2011 - RNH
2010 - Hall
2009 - Tavares
2008 - Stamkos
2007 - Kane
2006 - Johnson

Thanks in advance.

First off, keep in my mind that I am saying this without hindsight. So based strictly on the players draft years. What they've done in the NHL so far has no impact.

Bolded - I feel he would go over.

Underlined - He could challenge, but probably wouldn't go over them.

Tavares was a sensational prospect and tbh I can't remember Kane's draft year.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
First off, keep in my mind that I am saying this without hindsight. So based strictly on the players draft years. What they've done in the NHL so far has no impact.

Bolded - I feel he would go over.

Underlined - He could challenge, but probably wouldn't go over them.

Tavares was a sensational prospect and tbh I can't remember Kane's draft year.

Based on their draft years, 30 GMs would take Kane over Marner. Kane put up 145pts in 58 games (62 goals) during his pre-draft year while playing for the Knights as well as 31pts in 16 games during the playoffs.

While Marner's 126pts in 63 games is fantastic and his 16pts in 7 games during the playoffs is slightly better than Kanes, Kane's entire season was much better offensively. I would also think that its likely Marner's ppg had he played more games during the playoffs would decrease to less/similar to Kane's.

While he's a fantastic player, it's my personal opinion that Kane has been underwhelming offensively in the NHL most years considering how good his offensive tools are. Watching how he can dance with the puck so easily I'd expect him to be above PPG for most years (especially with his team-mates/usage). For that reason I could see Marner become better, but I wouldn't currently bet on it.

Edit: For anybody high on Kane thinking I'm crazy, I have always thought Kessel and Kane were on the same level and I think Marner could become better than Phil if everything went right.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Based on their draft years, 30 GMs would take Kane over Marner. Kane put up 145pts in 58 games (62 goals) during his pre-draft year while playing for the Knights as well as 31pts in 16 games during the playoffs.

While Marner's 126pts in 63 games is fantastic and his 16pts in 7 games during the playoffs is slightly better than Kanes, Kane's entire season was much better offensively. I would also think that its likely Marner's ppg had he played more games during the playoffs would decrease to less/similar to Kane's.

While he's a fantastic player, it's my personal opinion that Kane has been underwhelming offensively in the NHL most years considering how good his offensive tools are. Watching how he can dance with the puck so easily I'd expect him to be above PPG for most years (especially with his team-mates/usage). For that reason I could see Marner become better, but I wouldn't currently bet on it.

Edit: For anybody high on Kane thinking I'm crazy, I have always thought Kessel and Kane were on the same level and I think Marner could become better than Phil if everything went right.

Yeah, that's why I didn't bold or underline Kane, I don't remember his draft year very well. I really got into the draft around 2008 so that might be why.

As for Kane's production, it is rather underwhelming and he doesn't always seem to try as hard as he could during the regular season. However, come playoff time, he's on another level.

And I agree with Kessel=Kane. The only difference being the teams they played on.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I could see that, depending on Marner's commitment to work his ass off. Which I have no reason to question at this time. It's a very real possibility.

I know I said I wouldn't question folks but I would like to put this one out there about Hall vs Marner. Marner did have more points, but Hall was a two time Memorial cup MVP. How much does that weigh into their respective juniour careers? As we know, NHL scouts do love players that step it up in important situations.

Edit: And just for the record, I am not debating those that think Marner could end up better than Hall. I obviously have my personal bias, I am just curious about the viewpoint here about winning vs points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad