Prospect Info: Marner Magic about to take OHL by kNight -All purpose thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nylander is ahead. Marner's last season has few peers, but there are a couple of comps (Wellwood, Gagne) that didn't turn into superstars. Nylander's season is literally without comparison. Nobody in the history of the sport in Sweden has done what he's done so far at this young age.

Both are truly amazing prospects. An embarrassment of riches in comparison to the second rate "top prospects" we've had recently, like Kadri and Rielly. It's very conceivable that both will end up the second best player in their drafts. (It's unlikely that Ekblad or McDavid will be surpassed.)

Rielly can't be group together with Kadri given his ups and down he's had in his short career. Rielly is closer to others mentioned than him.

Also Eichel is going is going to have take a big dip not to be the 2nd best out of the '15 draft.

ForSpareParts*

Marner wore #36 in Leafs summer rookie camp and that is likely the same number he would be issued for the rookie tournament and Leafs training camp.

Nice. Like our former Alternate Captain Dmitri Yushkevich.

RTEmagicC_Yushkevich_Toronto.jpg.jpg

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
We probably have that as well.

What W are you thinking of? JVR? I'd love to get our mitts on a W that plays with his size more. Ritchie is a player I'm thinking of. True PFs are quite rare. Tzchachuk(sp?) or Brown could be that.

Nylander is ahead. Marner's last season has few peers, but there are a couple of comps (Wellwood, Gagne) that didn't turn into superstars. Nylander's season is literally without comparison. Nobody in the history of the sport in Sweden has done what he's done so far at this young age.

Both are truly amazing prospects. An embarrassment of riches in comparison to the second rate "top prospects" we've had recently, like Kadri and Rielly. It's very conceivable that both will end up the second best player in their drafts. (It's unlikely that Ekblad or McDavid will be surpassed.)

I still consider Reilly a top tier young D. It takes a long time for D to shine sometimes, and they usually look a lot better with better teams. Neidermeyer, Lidstrom and Keith are perfect examples of similar players that took more then a few years to truely show their potential.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
He will be in training camp and we should get a glimpse of his potential but the way Lou and Shanahan have been talking, there is little chance of him making the team this year.

Can anyone explain how HF Board's/Hockey's Future rates players, I had a look but can't find any System, or Criteria used in the evaluation of players?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel's and Clarkson's deletion from the top 6, really opens up a spot in the line up. I expect Marner or Nylander to seize it at training camp. It wouldn't take much for them to show Leafs Mgt that they are 1 of the top 6 fwds on the team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mark Hunter left the door open on Marner making the Leafs:

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...a-player-that-can-push-in-training-camp-here/

Seems size matters to quite a few people after the draft. :amazed: :sarcasm:

Talent will dictate, but so will strength. If he gets knocked out of games in the CHL because he's not strong enough to stand up to the pounding, no way he's ready for the NHL.

Give him a year in the CHL to play against boys and get stronger, heck maybe he'll lead the Knights to a successful season. He won't be playing against a McDavid lead Erie team. However, even McDavid came up short :sarcasm: against the Generals.

This CHL-NHL agreement precluding players from being in the minors should have an exception clause like the CHL has for teenagers.

Something like top 5 CHL players picked in the draft should be exempt. How fair are the labour practices, that would allow non-Canadians to be employed by Canadian companies in Canada but discriminate against Canadians for the same job based strictly on age?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kessel's and Clarkson's deletion from the top 6, really opens up a spot in the line up. I expect Marner or Nylander to seize it at training camp. It wouldn't take much for them to show Leafs Mgt that they are 1 of the top 6 fwds on the team.

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello: “We have a plan to grow a little slower and not get teased by any immediate success here or thereâ€

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...eased-by-any-immediate-success-here-or-there/

Feschuk: You say you hate the word rebuilding. How would you describe what the Leafs are doing right now? Lamoriello: I think it’s rebuilding, but I do hate the word. I’m not going to apologize for it because I think we’re in this business to win, we’re in this business to win every night. Right now, we do have a plan to grow a little slower and not get teased by any immediate success here or there. I believe that the fans, from all the people I’ve talked to, want this build so that we can make those long runs that you’ve seen certain organizations make. I bought into that, I feel very comfortable with it, and as I’ve said I’m excited about it.

Simmons: What, if anything, do you like about this Maple Leafs roster? Lamoriello: I don’t know enough about it to make that type of comment. I’ll know more about that at the end of September and October.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think there are several who will be challenging for a top 6, besides the rainbow players they signed as free agents.

Kapanen, considered for a spot last year with the Penguins.
Leivo 22, Soshnikov 22 in October, Hyman 23, Bailey 24 in Oct., Froese 24.

None of these guys are immature kids.

Obviously, Marner, Nylander and Kapanen are the talents, but that doesn't mean they're ready.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello: “We have a plan to grow a little slower and not get teased by any immediate success here or thereâ€

Read more at: https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...eased-by-any-immediate-success-here-or-there/

Lamoriello: I think it’s rebuilding, but I do hate the word. I’m not going to apologize for it because I think we’re in this business to win, we’re in this business to win every night. Right now, we do have a plan to grow a little slower and not get teased by any immediate success here or there. I believe that the fans, from all the people I’ve talked to, want this build so that we can make those long runs that you’ve seen certain organizations make. I bought into that, I feel very comfortable with it, and as I’ve said I’m excited about it

To me this means they won't be throwing assets away to try and improve the group, by acquiring older players.

Trade deadline, even if in the playoffs, won't include moving out good-great young assets for immediate, short term, minor success.

IMO, that doesn't mean a ready Marner isn't on the team, it means he won't be moved for short term success.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
What W are you thinking of? JVR? I'd love to get our mitts on a W that plays with his size more. Ritchie is a player I'm thinking of. True PFs are quite rare. Tzchachuk(sp?) or Brown could be that.

I still consider Reilly a top tier young D. It takes a long time for D to shine sometimes, and they usually look a lot better with better teams. Neidermeyer, Lidstrom and Keith are perfect examples of similar players that took more then a few years to truely show their potential.

Rielly is just not following the same progression as top-end defencemen. His deceleration in development strongly indicates that he is not a Keith-level guy.

But you're right that never really know with defencemen. They're a lot harder to project. Who here saw Anton Stralman turning into one of the best defencemen on a cup contender? We all heard the hype, and what we saw was really only a few highlight reel plays in a sea of ****. And we don't really know what the impact of coaching change will be. Mike Babcock has positively worked magic with pretty mediocre defenceman.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Thanks for that info Mess, couldn't find it when I looked.

Having read the "NHL Player System Rating Rules", it appears that it's not an exact science and player evaluation is open to interpretation of the evaluator and basically boils down to his feelings on the players potential.

Does 8.5 meaning he should be a first line center and/or an elite player and then the D says unlikely to reach potential, that's a little confusing, sounds like a confused evaluator

9. Elite Talent – possesses the potential for greatness, a perennial All-Star throughout his career.

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender – players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential.

D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings – a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player's potential is extremely fluid.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
To me this means they won't be throwing assets away to try and improve the group, by acquiring older players.

Trade deadline, even if in the playoffs, won't include moving out good-great young assets for immediate, short term, minor success.

IMO, that doesn't mean a ready Marner isn't on the team, it means he won't be moved for short term success.

That could be one meaning of the quote but to me it sounds like they are going to take it slow and develop the players and go with the players now under contract, like the one year deal players and invitees.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Rielly is just not following the same progression as top-end defencemen. His deceleration in development strongly indicates that he is not a Keith-level guy.

But you're right that never really know with defencemen. They're a lot harder to project. Who here saw Anton Stralman turning into one of the best defencemen on a cup contender? We all heard the hype, and what we saw was really only a few highlight reel plays in a sea of ****. And we don't really know what the impact of coaching change will be. Mike Babcock has positively worked magic with pretty mediocre defenceman.

I think you're being over critical of Reilly. He's done well, all things considered. His skill is absolutely undeniable. It also doesn't come with questionable decision making like Gardiner.

Under the right coaching (check) and a good team (working on that one) he can be great. I have no doubt. If he was in Hedman or Stralmans shoes we'd be talking about him in the same light.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I am not sure why you are getting a bad read on Rielly. He should be viewed right up there with all the good young up and coming dmen. Babcock aside Rielly would be developing fine. Really all that is holding him back is his reluctance at times.

The day he confident more in his skills watch out. Back to Babs now. I think Babcock is going to fine tune the entire system of play to the advantage of Riellys skills. He will be ready to jump into plays with babs.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That could be one meaning of the quote but to me it sounds like they are going to take it slow and develop the players and go with the players now under contract, like the one year deal players and invitees.

They have 25 under contract presently! Anyone find that curious? I certainly do. I expect more roster moves here shortly. Thats already 2 players over.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Expectations for this year:
Stay in Jr.
#1 center
Deep memorial cup run
Captain

Too much?

Nope. Seems realistic to me, given his talent and how much he accomplished last year.

I want him or Nylander to make the team. People tend to forget that you can develop players in the NHL.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i don't know why this is bothering me, but it is, why is "new thread" in the title?
shouldn't it just be Marner Magic About to Take Toronto by storm?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
"Gagner put up 2.23 PPG playing on a line with Patrick Kane and 19 year old Sergei Kostitsyn 

Marner did it with Dvorak (14pts in 33gp in his draft year the year before) and Max Domi.

Much different"

Domi wasn't added to post WJC and actually slowed the line down. DVO n Mitch were better with M Rupert.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
D = Dummy.

How do you account for such a rating? This was the strongest draft in decades and Marner auto shoots into the top 5 prospects in the world along with his entire class of '15. The man is saying he is smarter than the NHL scouts? Marner will be groomed slowly not rushed by guys like Babcock,Lemaire,Lou and even Shanny.

Im sorry But I cant take this person opinion seriously now.

8.5 C he will have impact in the NHL, one day

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So with no McDavid or Eichel?

2nd by the way things went this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad