Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So far in this thread we've got Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Islanders fans pretty confident their next 4 1st rounders won't be in the lottery. So crazy that everyones favourite team definitely is definitely great and has such little risk.

Reactions: Menzinger

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Marner is a great player. But he is not at a Mcdavid level of greatness. If I'm the Leafs getting 4 first round pick for Marner would be preferable to ending up as a team with too much cap tied up in the forwards.

Reactions: Taylorst

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So far in this thread we've got Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Islanders fans pretty confident their next 4 1st rounders won't be in the lottery. So crazy that everyones favourite team definitely is definitely great and has such little risk.
Only 1 Pittsburgh fan. And it was a stupid idea to begin with because the Pens have no cap space.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Marner can do whatever he likes. If moving away from his childhood dreams and making more money instead of a fair offer is what he wants, there’s the door. He won’t get the love at home and pretty sure he’ll lose quite a few endorsements and sponsors in the way out.

Not if he goes to Montreal

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'd easily bet on those picks not all being 20+.
Team coming off a 100+ point season and first round playoff win
Top coaching staff
Young, #1 center
Very good farm system
Cap space galore

Yeah, adding Marner to this group would be not be something that would scream huge risk of imminent decline.

*Of course pending retention of our UFAs like Lee and Lehner

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Buffalo comes to mind? Don't really know who else? Arizona?
Arizona huh? giving out a 100 mil contract? That is even funnier than the Matthews Arizona offers sheet we were told was going to happen despite all reason. Not buying it plus it's on record their main target is Duch and that seems a stretch.

Buffalo on the other hand, I hate to admit, is plausible.

Luckily Marner was born and raised a Leaf fan and wants to die here. He is the least likely Leaf to ever want to leave but it's summer and people need stuff to talk about I guess.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
There is always risk, and it very well could be a lottery pick, but then again...………………………..the odds are slim for any of the teams you listed. Look at Buffalo for example, they've been moved down 5 out 8 times these past 8 seasons they haven't been to the playoffs. They never moved up and they stood pat 3 times.

I'd say the odds aren't in your favor on those four 1st rounders, if that is what your banking on. But that is neither here nor there for this thread of course. This is about Marner and a possible offer sheet. I suspect he isn't going to be the only one seeing that this season either. It's about to get very interesting in the NHL off season, and it's about time. If parity is what Bettman and the board of governers (owners) are seeking, then this off season's possible offer sheets could provide towards that end.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lol insane. I like Marner but this is nuts.

Indeed.

*SEALBound circa 2050*
"Grandpa, why were there 4 or more NHL lockouts?"
"Well my grandson, let me tell one of the many errors that were made. Lets talk about Mitch Marner..."

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Arizona huh? giving out a 100 mil contract? That is even funnier than the Matthews Arizona offers sheet we were told was going to happen despite all reason. Not buying it plus it's on record their main target is Duch and that seems a stretch.

Buffalo on the other hand, I hate to admit, is plausible.

Luckily Marner was born and raised a Leaf fan and wants to die here. He is the least likely Leaf to ever want to leave but it's summer and people need stuff to talk about I guess.
Apparently Arizona's new owner is supposed to be super rich and going to be injecting a huge amount of money into the team. This is rumoured as of right now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Seems insane that some team which can afford the 12.5 Million AAV in their cap will also be willing to give up 4 1st round picks.

I was thinking the same thing. You would think a team willing to sacrifice 4 1sts would have the roster to compete now, which would theoretically mean they have a high payroll already.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
McDavid took somewhat of a discount if I recall correctly.

Either way if Hall still refuses to sign before the season starts I would be ok with this offer sheet (long term) and then try to trade Hall for a good young defender.

A young core of Marner, Hughes, Hischier, Smith, Bratt, Boqvist, Davies, Blackwood, and whoever we could get for Hall would make me ok with losing 4 1sts.

Reactions: Eye Test

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
How many Nashville dollars equal 12.5M Leafs dollars? (Yes, taxes.)
If they trade Subban for some reasonable downgrade, it should be doable.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Team coming off a 100+ point season and first round playoff win
Top coaching staff
Young, #1 center
Very good farm system
Cap space galore

Yeah, adding Marner to this group would be not be something that would scream huge risk of imminent decline.
There's absolutely no point trying to have a reasonable exchange with that poster.

Just as there's no way any leaf fan would be on board if i created a trade proposal offering 4 mid to late first for their young budding superstar despite their we'll just take 4 first bravado.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, obviously nothing is a guarantee. But the Pens haven't missed the playoffs since Crosby's rookie season, so I'm not sure it's such a stretch to believe that their pick over the next 4 years won't be a lottery pick. Especially since in this scenario they'd have a prime Marner helping carry the load.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Whoever does that is going to screw not only themselves, but every other team in the league lol. Talk about blowing up the market.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I honestly don’t think getting four 1sts compensation would be terrible for the leafs. Yes, they lose a young superstar but they already have 2 franchise centers and other food young forwards. They could use those picks as capital to upgrade their defense and/or use the space from Marner to maybe give Panarin an offer or trade for a Mike Hoffman.

I know Marner had an insane year and is a gifted player but the way the leafs are set up it may actually be a blessing in disguise if they were to use what they got from Marner to upgrade in other areas. The leafs with a much improved defense led by Reilly would be a lot more balanced and scarier.

Reactions: Feliix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad