Rumor: Marner expected to get 12.5$ million offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Signing a fat contract with a $12.5M AAV... AND surrendering four 1st round picks... is ****ing insane.

That’s a reckless investment that assumes an absurd amount of risk. I don’t care how good Marner is; you’re a fool if you think that’s a good idea.
The only way I see it is if the team offering that feels Marner puts them in contention right away and those 1sts are expected to be mid to late 20’s or later.

Reactions: A Pointed Stick

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe he’d consider a 10.5M offer for 3 or 4 years and cash in on his next contract?

Basically just low enough so a team doesn’t have to pay 4 1st rounders but high enough to get his attention.

If Marner even signs that, the Leafs would just match that and make the cap work... even if that means losing one of Kapanen/Johnsson for a lame return.

Reactions: garyturner3

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Hey 4 1st's even mid/late 1sts ain't to shabby. Especially when you consider we would have our 1sts as well. Say the Leafs and Habs picks are 10-20th we can put both together to get into the top 10 each yr

Reactions: supermann_98

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So the rumour is supposedly that a player on the Canadiens heard Marner's agent say that he expects his client to get a 12.5 million dollar offer sheet?

That seems dubious for many reasons before you even get to the credibility of the site that reports. Even if they are 100% credible in their rumours I am not sure how much stock I am putting in a report based on a player supposedly overhearing a comment from an agent that really helps drive up the price for his client.

That said at 12.5 million I think the Leafs have to think about matching, even if I think the report is flimsy at best.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Teams can have him for 12.5. He's great but you dont pay your best winger that much. Hes not a center, hes only hit point a game once and he has no titles to his name. On top of that hes never helped the leafs advance beyond the first round and was brutal in 2/3 playoffs.

Marners great but hes not that great.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The only way I see it is if the team offering that feels Marner puts them in contention right away and those 1sts are expected to be mid to late 20’s or later.

Ottawa felt that way about Duchene.

Toronto felt that way about Kessel.

If you sign an offer sheet this big, you’re assuming that risk FOUR times. That’s absolutely insane. You can’t justify it.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If you have good depth those 1st rounders aren't that bad.

Marner is a special player and trade a worse player or 2 for 1st rounder or 2+ something to gain futures back.
You would figure a team willing to do this wouldn't have that depth though.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Ottawa felt that way about Duchene.

Toronto felt that way about Kessel.

If you sign an offer sheet this big, you’re assuming that risk FOUR times. That’s absolutely insane. You can’t justify it.
Didn’t say I agreed or would do it... just saying that’s the only way I can see a GM justifying it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If you sign him to 7 years I guess 12.5 is reasonable if you're assuming the cap will continue to rise as it has been.

But the 4 first rounders hurt.

Would have thought the 10.5 for 4 years (free agency after) would be the best offer sheet. Low risk for picks and nice opportunity for Marner to get to free agency asap.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Seems insane that some team which can afford the 12.5 Million AAV in their cap will also be willing to give up 4 1st round picks.
What good team could do this?

Leaf offer sheets are the HF wet dream. His agent is hoping he can talk up his value, that is basically the whole story here. Marner is not going anywhere. This is so tired.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Appearently his na,me is Max Truman

Who is Max Truman I'm going to go ahead and say this isn't credible until I find out Who Max Truman is because I've never heard of him

A Quebec blogger that has occasionally broken some stories.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
What good team could do this?

Leaf offer sheets are the HF wet dream. His agent is hoping he can talk up his value, that is basically the whole story here. Marner is not going anywhere. This is so tired.
Buffalo comes to mind? Don't really know who else? Arizona?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabres

They have the cap space, they have the four 1st rd picks, they have an elite center and a high goal scoring LW'r. Mariner would definitely complete that 1st line.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's funny how this one deal seems to be holding up signing RFAs league-wide. Really puts things into perspective.
It's not really all that surprising. Marner is the hottest RFA in this year's crop and is going to help determine the market for other RFAs. The paradigm shift of RFAs not taking discount deals is well underway. If people think 8-10M is a lot for an RFA then this summer is going to be a major shocker for them. Over 5 RFAs will sign for north of 8M this summer on long term deals with some of those potentially being north of 10M. That is of course unless teams decide to bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA