Marlies GDT: Marlies vs. Monsters, Series Talk | 4-0 Marlies | How does a team with Liljegren sweep? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Liljegren was our best skater in that series, I love Sandin but there's more to the game than just offensive production, Liljegren was doing it all including eating tough defensive minutes against the Monsters better players

His all round game was highly impressive

That sounds like a recipe for dysfunction, either you think Keefe's the man for the job or Babcock still is

You pick one rather than put them together and pray you don't get serious divisions in the room

Well, Keefe did nearly become an assistant with Babcock at the start but things went differently and he coached the Marlies. DJ Smith might be going too by the sounds of it. Might create a bad environment but who the hell knows anymore.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well, Keefe did nearly become an assistant with Babcock at the start but things went differently and he coached the Marlies. DJ Smith might be going too by the sounds of it. Might create a bad environment but who the hell knows anymore.
I can't see Keefe working with Babs. Babs is a drill sargent. He is very regimented. Keefe plays his best to win on that night he decides in game who is going and who is not. Their coaching styles would be at odds. I would rather have Keefe develop younger players because at least they would learn the right way to think as a pro. I imagine a guy like Moore was pretty deflated coming up to big squad and playing better than most of forwards yet he did not get rewarded. Under Keefe he does.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Keefe has done a brilliant job as a head coach where he's the boss calling the shots

Putting him with another head coach who likes to call the shots looks like potential trouble to me

Fire Smith into the sun and get a new PK defensive coach then give Babcock another year, if things don't change ax Babcock and put Keefe in as the new boss then

Don't half ass the decision, make a decision and whole ass it

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Keefe has done a brilliant job as a head coach where he's the boss calling the shots

Putting him with another head coach who likes to call the shots looks like potential trouble to me

Fire Smith into the sun and get a new PK defensive coach then give Babcock another year, if things don't change ax Babcock and put Keefe in as the new boss then

Don't half ass the decision, make a decision and whole ass it

Luckily for us I’ve heard the Dubas makes decisions like all of Jagr’s ass.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Monsters have nothing. Lily is a good skater straight away for speed this is very true. But he can't turn in phone booth like Sandin. He does not have close to the hands of Sandin. He does not have the ice vision of sandin. And he goes down far too easy when hit compared to Sandin. And Sandin does not look like he is going fast to the eye because his stride is far superior to anyone else on the Marlies. It is why his balance is so good when the Monsters targeted him with hits. One good way to know who your best player is is when the other team starts to target you. When they are intentionally trying to knock you out of the game then you know you are very very good.

The monsters are a good team, we played bloody well (especially our young D) and neutralized them offensively

It's the playoffs, teams are looking to hit every defenseman no matter who they are especially if there young and you think you may be able to physically dominate them

Sandin does take hits, he did in junior and I don't actually like that about his game, the less your getting hit the better, it's bad for your health

I also don't think Liljegren's straight line speed is that great, his edge work is imo, he's good laterally

I think Sandin will be the higher scoring player at the NHL level but Liljegren's game is far stronger all around at this point in time imo and he's been the best of the Marlies skater during the playoff run thus far imo

Reactions: kb

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
so how likely is it we lose our AHL super coach to another team? Reminds me of Dallas Eakins situation a few years back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
so how likely is it we lose our AHL super coach to another team? Reminds me of Dallas Eakins situation a few years back.

Dallas Eakins was not that great.

He was okay, but his lineups were pure vets. Keefe has a lineup mostly made out of prospects.

The one thing I like about Keefe is that he adapted. He had a lot of stretches where his systems simply sucked and he was not adapting. Now, in the past two years, he adapts well and promotes his players to do the same.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
I would kill to have Keefe as our head-coach. Every year, we lose in the first round ---- every damn year! The only reason Babcock won in Detroit was because it's impossible to screw up when you have Hall of Famers like Lindstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Rafalski, Franzen, etc.

Babcock makes me cringe with his stubbornness.
Oh, and, Shanahan isn't going to fire Babcock till his term is over. Shanahan is too attached to his former coach, babcock.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I think it's brilliant what the Leafs are doing in the Marlies. This is where they can really flex their financial muscle as an organization.

No salary cap means they can pay prospects more. More development coaches. A winning culture. More effort into scouting and recruitment into non drafted players

So they pay more, win more, develop better, which means they can attract more free wallet talent which = assets at the big level. Smart

Reactions: Stamkos4life

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think it's brilliant what the Leafs are doing in the Marlies. This is where they can really flex their financial muscle as an organization.

No salary cap means they can pay prospects more. More development coaches. A winning culture. More effort into scouting and recruitment into non drafted players

So they pay more, win more, develop better, which means they can attract more free wallet talent which = assets at the big level. Smart
Similar to how Masai Ujiri has developed some of the stars on the Raptors via D/G-league, focusing on drafting and development. (VanVleet, Siakam, OG) and nailing late picks like Siakam at 27th overall. Drafting and developing Poetl turned into Kawhi + Green. I remember Dubas mentioning how Masai has been somewhat of a mentor/support figure.

Masai has done a tremendous job in his short time here. Hope they maintain their great relationship.

Reactions: Kazparov

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wonder if we will see a Dermott-Lily pairing to start next year. One smooth skating pairing that could play all zones and spend the next half decade together.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I said this last week, and they aren't as stacked as they have been the last few of years

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I said this last week, and they aren't as stacked as they have been the last few of years

We're playing 4 kids on the backend with a youngish goaltender

Bracco, the Brooks line and other potential call ups like Korshkov and Engval are leading us up front

Oh no, were sinking resources into developing our young talent and there succeeding

Sometimes facts are our friends

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Bracco, the Brooks line and other potential call ups like Korshkov and Engval are leading us up front

Oh no, were sinking resources into developing our young talent and there succeeding

ok, your point is?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Quoted for truth.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe is doing a prerty amazing job with the team. We might have lost in the 1st round if Babcock was the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad