Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Are the leafs going to provide both goalies to newfoundland?

If not.. pick the three you like cut the fourth send the worst to the growlers and is what it is

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Are the leafs going to provide both goalies to newfoundland?

If not.. pick the three you like cut the fourth send the worst to the growlers and is what it is

Yes, we will provide both goalies.

Woll, Kallgren, Petruzzelli likely for the Marlies.

McKay and Cavallin for the Growlers.

Reactions: uncleben

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yeah. Not sure how the right guys are going to get the proper developmental reps.
If all healthy, you'd have to think Woll and Kallgren get priority, though McKay was an interesting signing and I hope he's not just sitting on the bench.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Didn't come away very impressed with Petruzzelli in the Ottawa pre-season game. Just kind of a warm body. Wonder how the Marlies goalies are going to split time this year between Woll, Kallgren, Petruzelli, maybe Ferguson. Anyone else?
They’ll send players to the Growlers, like they always do.

Kallgren, Woll and Petruzelli will battle for Marlies spots, Ferguson and McKay Growlers. This always happens.

Sometimes guys get injured, so you have an extra in the system. You are attempting to judge a guy who was playing his first game for the Leafs, after what 5/6 games total at the AHL level and the rest ECHL and below that. He was probably nervous and it should be obvious he has a lot of seasoning to do. But he’s been mostly excellent at the levels he should be playing at and growing his game. Patience with prospects, especially goalies.

Reactions: uncleben

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Can someone please rank all of our goalies in our system for me including our starters and our draft picks and our AHL contracts?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Can someone please rank all of our goalies in our system for me including our starters and our draft picks and our AHL contracts?

Depends on the criteria. A guy like Kallgren is more NHL ready, but he is also older and has less upside than a Woll/Petruzzelli/Hildeby. Overall, I would rank it like this:

1) Woll: He has the best combination of NHL-readiness and upside.
2) Hildeby: Gave him the edge over Petruzzelli due to age, but both have good upside.
3) Petruzzelli: Solid potential and a nice replacement for the similarly-aged Scott in our pool, despite the unfortunate circumstances to the latter.
4) Kallgren: Lower upside, but is a solid #3 option right now and may become a solid backup in the near future (may not be here though).
---
5) Akhtyamov
6) Peksa
7) Cavallin
8) McKay

Akhtyamov/Cavallin/Peksa are all fairly close to one another as well, so I just tie-broke it based on draft positioning. All three are long shots to even become NHL backups, but they are still young enough to have that exponential growth in their games to become legit prospects. McKay is just AHL depth fodder and is the second oldest on this list behind Kallgren.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

1a. Murray
1b. Samsonov
3. Hidelby
4. Peksa
5. Akhtyamov
6. McKay
7. Woll
8. Kallgren
9. Petruzzeli
10. Ferguson

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1a. Murray
1b. Samsonov
3. Hidelby
4. Peksa
5. Akhtyamov
6. McKay
7. Woll
8. Kallgren
9. Petruzzeli
10. Ferguson

Kind of want to switch Samsonov at the top with Murray and maybe Woll with McKay. Not a huge Woll guy since his development curve has been somewhat flat the past 3 years coming out of school, but McKay will need some reps to catch up. And he's already 24. Petruzelli, yeah none too impressive, and Ferguson I don't know much about but his PTO status probably says all we needto know.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kind of want to switch Samsonov at the top with Murray and maybe Woll with McKay. Not a huge Woll guy since his development curve has been somewhat flat the past 3 years coming out of school, but McKay will need some reps to catch up. And he's already 24. Petruzelli, yeah none too impressive, and Ferguson I don't know much about but his PTO status probably says all we needto know.

Yeah these could all switch on a dime tbh. My issue with Woll is that he's never been dominant at any level and I haven't loved him by the eye test in his small nhl sample.

McKay is a reach for sure but even though he's old he was at least legit dominant year in year out.

Reactions: Roadhog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah these could all switch on a dime tbh. My issue with Woll is that he's never been dominant at any level and I haven't loved him by the eye test in his small nhl sample.

McKay is a reach for sure but even though he's old he was at least legit dominant year in year out.

I am really looking forward to seeing Murray's game over the next couple of days to see how he looks.

Purely for idle speculation because that's all we do, but I would assume 25 year old Samsonov, low mileage and all would be the more natural long term fix for the Leafs. But Murray has a unique resume and is only 28. Assuming both are good:

If we want to keep both beyond this year can we stomach a year where we pay them both big money?

If we keep Murray, do we trade RFA Samsonov for a haul next summer?

If we keep Samsonov, can we pawn off a rejuvenated Murray to a team like Vegas who might want a veteran name goalie?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Age of goalies:

Murray 28.3yrs
Kallgren 26.0
Samsonov 25.6
McKay 24.9
Woll 24.2
Ferguson 24.0
Petruzzeli 23.7
Hildeby 21.1
Akhtyamov 20.9
Peksa 20.1

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Age of goalies:

Murray 28.3yrs
Kallgren 26.0
Samsonov 25.6
McKay 24.9
Woll 24.2
Ferguson 24.0
Petruzzeli 23.7
Hildeby 21.1
Akhtyamov 20.9
Peksa 20.1

I though Hildeby was way older (maybe 23), that is a good pick, I like it a lot more now, I think there is a lot of potential there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I am really looking forward to seeing Murray's game over the next couple of days to see how he looks.

Purely for idle speculation because that's all we do, but I would assume 25 year old Samsonov, low mileage and all would be the more natural long term fix for the Leafs. But Murray has a unique resume and is only 28. Assuming both are good:

If we want to keep both beyond this year can we stomach a year where we pay them both big money?

If we keep Murray, do we trade RFA Samsonov for a haul next summer?

If we keep Samsonov, can we pawn off a rejuvenated Murray to a team like Vegas who might want a veteran name goalie?

Sometimes I have to remember that last year was the first time Samsonov got a chance to be a #1 and he was only 24. Failing that first test is not exactly a death knell.

I think if he steps up and is solid this year we absolutely extend him no matter what. Hopefully Murray also plays well enough to either make it fine to keep an expensive duo or give him some trade value. But Murray just has to be non-disastrous to make his one year deal tradeable I think.

Reactions: Roadhog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes I have to remember that last year was the first time Samsonov got a chance to be a #1 and he was only 24. Failing that first test is not exactly a death knell.

I think if he steps up and is solid this year we absolutely extend him no matter what. Hopefully Murray also plays well enough to either make it fine to keep an expensive duo or give him some trade value. But Murray just has to be non-disastrous to make his one year deal tradeable I think.

Yeah, I think Washington may have made an unforced error dumping Samsonov like that. He's basically older than Woll and younger than Kallgren by one year and a first rounder from the Marner draft.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
1a. Murray
1b. Samsonov
3. Hidelby
4. Peksa
5. Akhtyamov
6. McKay
7. Woll
8. Kallgren
9. Petruzzeli
10. Ferguson

Curious to see how McKay is ahead of Woll/Kallgren/Petruzzelli when he is almost certainly going to be behind all of them on the depth chart and he is older than all of them except Kallgren?

Peksa and Akhtyamov are already behind in their development too, so I do not really get why people are hyping them up a bunch. Doing well in the VHL means nothing at their age except that they need to translate their success to the KHL ASAP to catch up as prospects.

Kallgren/Woll/Petruzzelli are noticeably better prospects than everyone except for Hildeby, and Hildeby needs a strong showing in the SHL. Peksa/Akhtyamov/etc. may not even reach their current levels as prospects, never mind surpass them.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Curious to see how McKay is ahead of Woll/Kallgren/Petruzzelli when he is almost certainly going to be behind all of them on the depth chart and he is older than all of them except Kallgren?

Peksa and Akhtyamov are already behind in their development too, so I do not really get why people are hyping them up a bunch. Doing well in the VHL means nothing at their age except that they need to translate their success to the KHL ASAP to catch up as prospects.

Kallgren/Woll/Petruzzelli are noticeably better prospects than everyone except for Hildeby, and Hildeby needs a strong showing in the SHL. Peksa/Akhtyamov/etc. may not even reach their current levels as prospects, never mind surpass them.

I think you already commented on this but is their lack of KHL time due to ability or goalies blocking them?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Well for me at their ages there's no real difference at this point, so it comes down to a very simple question for me right now - based on their recent numbers, which of these 4 is likely to put up the best AHL numbers this year? There's no clear answer but the consistent eliteness of McKay on college makes me think it may well be him. Plus I have a hunch that the others have had more rope and hype in the past simply due to their size, while McKay has had to battle uphill every step of the way due to his lack of size.

True that they need to be putting up solid KHL numbers this year to matter, but at the same time they're putting us the kind of numbers to start the year that show they really don't belong in the VHL and could probably be putting up decent KHL numbers at this point.

I don't see anything in Kallgren/Woll/Petruzzeli's track records that keeps them definitely ahead of guys putting up great numbers a level down tbh.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think you already commented on this but is their lack of KHL time due to ability or goalies blocking them?

Probably a bit of both, but the guy "blocking" them is a guy who struggled in the AHL last year and was terminated. Hardly anyone who should be blocking a good goalie prospect with NHL upside.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't see anything in Kallgren/Woll/Petruzzeli's track records that keeps them definitely ahead of guys putting up great numbers a level down tbh.

The VHL is more than a level down from the AHL. It is multiple levels down.

The AHL is fighting with the KHL to be the 2nd best league in the world. The KHL has some better players/teams than the AHL, but there is more parity and depth in the AHL. Most teams in the AHL can probably beat half of the teams in the KHL on a regular basis. If these guys are struggling to make an KHL team, then they would struggle just as much, if not more, to make an AHL team.

The VHL, comparatively, is arguably below the ECHL in overall quality. If you stick Peksa or Akhtyamov on the Growlers right now, they probably do not outperform Petruzzelli.

If they want to get into the Woll/Kallgren/Petruzzelli realm... They need to at least be in the KHL on some team. If they want to be ahead of them, then they need to perform well at the KHL level. Right now, they are 0/2.

Reactions: nuck

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The VHL is more than a level down from the AHL. It is multiple levels down.

The AHL is fighting with the KHL to be the 2nd best league in the world. The KHL has some better players/teams than the AHL, but there is more parity and depth in the AHL. Most teams in the AHL can probably beat half of the teams in the KHL on a regular basis. If these guys are struggling to make an KHL team, then they would struggle just as much, if not more, to make an AHL team.

The VHL, comparatively, is arguably below the ECHL in overall quality. If you stick Peksa or Akhtyamov on the Growlers right now, they probably do not outperform Petruzzelli.

If they want to get into the Woll/Kallgren/Petruzzelli realm... They need to at least be in the KHL on some team. If they want to be ahead of them, then they need to perform well at the KHL level. Right now, they are 0/2.

Yeah and they're one step off the KHL/AHL level, and showing that they should probably be there.

And if they do get up to the khl and even just post the same poor numbers that woll/kall/petro have posted in the AHL, then due to being much younger, they're instantly better prospects.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad