Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Honest question for our Marlies guys:

Do you feel we have the right coaching on the Marlies to continue to develop and build up our prospects pipeline?

I seem to remember a lot of dissatisfaction with our coaching and development team last season, and genuinely asking our guys who follow them closely for their thoughts on who or what personnel you would change or keep from the current Marlies coaching staff.

Thanks for your insights.

Cheers,

Reactions: geo25

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Do you feel we have the right coaching on the Marlies to continue to develop and build up our prospects pipeline?

I seem to remember a lot of dissatisfaction with our coaching and development team last season, and genuinely asking our guys who follow them closely for their thoughts on who or what personnel you would change or keep from the current Marlies coaching staff.

Cheers,

We'll see after this year.

Reactions: LeafSteel

kerk

Apr 27, 2009

Cheers,
i think a fair amount of people would like to see john snowden as HC instead of greg moore

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Cheers,
Short answer. The assistants are fine. The head coach should be replaced

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Cheers,
No.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In terms of developing players Moore seems to be fine. We've had a few players come up to the Leafs and do well, and some of them have had career years. I think as a team they struggled, but I think the roster being decimated with call-ups/injuries would have been tough for any coach. He had a healthy lineup to close the year and they chocked really hard.

I think this year will say a lot. I hope he can get more lucky with call-ups/injuries, especially to the goaltenders.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Cheers,
No. From what I've seen, his teams don't look to have much structure at all and leave their goalies out to dry. I also don't like his personality in interviews. He doesn't seem to have answers and throws players under the bus.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
A lot of competition this camp but all I can think about is how much of a log jam there's going to be next year and how that factors in to the Bunting contract discussion. Obv a good problem to have.

If this was a bubble team with limited depth, Steeves/Holmberg/McMann are in the NHL. The former two could easily play this season and IMO Holmberg should.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Jarnkrok - xxxxx
Steeves - Holmberg - xxxxx

If Amirov is healthy and plays this season (e.g. AHL), you have to imagine he factors in at age 22. He’s the most skilled player in the pool, but the biggest wild card given his health. If he's good to go, you could be looking at 4-5 rookies who deserve full-time NHL roles next season, and that's excluding McMann/Douglas/Abruzzese. Opens up a ton of money for Bunting but implies a very young forward group (-- Kerf, Engvall, Kampf).

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
A lot of competition this camp but all I can think about is how much of a log jam there's going to be next year and how that factors in to the Bunting contract discussion. Obv a good problem to have.

If this was a bubble team with limited depth, Steeves/Holmberg/McMann are in the NHL. The former two could easily play this season and IMO Holmberg should.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Jarnkrok - xxxxx
Steeves - Holmberg - xxxxx

If Amirov is healthy and plays this season (e.g. AHL), you have to imagine he factors in at age 22. He’s the most skilled player in the pool, but the biggest wild card given his health. If he's good to go, you could be looking at 4-5 rookies who deserve full-time NHL roles next season, and that's excluding McMann/Douglas/Abruzzese. Opens up a ton of money for Bunting but implies a very young forward group (-- Kerf, Engvall, Kampf).
At the moment I'd try to sign Kampf to Jarnkrok style contract, but other than that interesting problem to have, if our youngsters can really cut it out in the NHL. This is the moment we have waited for years, that we have good enough rookies pushing for spots in the lineup.

We'll know more about Bunting and also about Kampf in few months. Bunts might still be too pricey, if he can really pop-up in our first line. Would love to keep both.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At the moment I'd try to sign Kampf to Jarnkrok style contract, but other than that interesting problem to have, if our youngsters can really cut it out in the NHL. This is the moment we have waited for years, that we have good enough rookies pushing for spots in the lineup.

We'll know more about Bunting and also about Kampf in few months. Bunts might still be too pricey, if he can really pop-up in our first line. Would love to keep both.

We do have to keep a number of veterans around to stabilize the mix in the support cast. We can't have a huge number of rookies learning on the job while in the midst of contention. If the team is learning lessons in the playoffs it can't all be flushed out and replaced with a new freshman group.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
We do have to keep a number of veterans around to stabilize the mix in the support cast. We can't have a huge number of rookies learning on the job while in the midst of contention. If the team is learning lessons in the playoffs it can't all be flushed out and replaced with a new freshman group.
This message sums this up perfectly. I hope we can build some sort of structure and keep enough role-players with out stars. That's the reason I'ld like add another "Jarnkrok" and Kampf is prime candidate.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Very interesting that Tverberg is lining up as the 1C for UConn. He played most (if not all?) of last season on the wing and had a solid season.

Miettinen is listed as the 1LW for St. Cloud as well. Knies unsurprisingly listed as the 1LW for Minnesota.
I’m pretty sure his linemate, hudson schandor, was a centre for the past 2 seasons. He got shifted to the wing. Very interesting.

Reactions: aingefan

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Very interesting that Tverberg is lining up as the 1C for UConn. He played most (if not all?) of last season on the wing and had a solid season.

Miettinen is listed as the 1LW for St. Cloud as well. Knies unsurprisingly listed as the 1LW for Minnesota.

If Tverberg can make that switch that's great .. says a lot about his IQ and defensive play to get moved over.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Having Robertson graduate into a legitimate top nine guy and adding Knies in April after his season is done, plus adding an impact rental forward at the deadline seems... plausible if not even likely to happen now.

Pray they can stay healthy because some of the graduates are going to make this team much deeper.

Reactions: Burnie97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad