Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
you're not wrong. this is the type of player we're going to be taking a chance on with this regime. I didn't mind the pick where we took him.

It's not a bad pick either way. Like I said before, I think he's going to need to find another gear in order to make it, but he's a close call, at least.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Both of which happened during the same age season that is coming up for the other 3. Moore is one year older, Johnsson 2. Most people would have said the same things you're saying about Moore last year. I actually had a fairly lengthy debate about why he shouldn't be written off using Hyman as an example, and the response was very similar to "well they're not the same class of player."

They are. They're at the same point after the U23 season. What remains to be seen is if they can follow the curve and emerge as players during the U24 season.

As for tools/ compete level Engvall is the biggest and best skater of the 6, Timashov arguably the best playmaker, and Brooks the best two way and overall smartest.

Brooks doesn't do anything particularly well, solid all around player at the AHL level but I just don't see anything in his game that's above average or that can help him stick in the NHL

Engvall can skate, unfortunately the rest of his offensive game is pretty poor, ok defensively that's why there trying to turn him into a 4th line center currently imo

Timashov isn't a strong 2 way player, good playmaking but that's about it, I will give him one thing his last playoffs performance gives me some hope, but not much

I was always very complimentary towards Moore, he had enough talent and compete to make me state multiple times I thought he could be a decent NHL forward, Not many guys compete like Hyman and Johnsson was noticibly better and more talented than all those guys

I'll be happy to admit if I'm wrong, I don't think I will be though

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Brooks doesn't do anything particularly well, solid all around player at the AHL level but I just don't see anything in his game that's above average or that can help him stick in the NHL

Engvall can skate, unfortunately the rest of his offensive game is pretty poor, ok defensively that's why there trying to turn him into a 4th line center currently imo

Timashov isn't a strong 2 way player, good playmaking but that's about it, I will give him one thing his last playoffs performance gives me some hope, but not much

I was always very complimentary towards Moore, he had enough talent and compete to make me state multiple times I thought he could be a decent NHL forward, Not many guys compete like Hyman and Johnsson was noticibly better and more talented than all those guys

I'll be happy to admit if I'm wrong, I don't think I will be though
If Engvall can develop some more he has a pretty good package of skills. If he produces more offensively, while at the same time tightening up his defensive play and faceoffs he could make a good 4th line center. He doesn't have to improve that much, I see some upside there. He's a lot tougher to play against than originally advertised. He is a fairly close comparable to Gauthier at the NHL level, just with more sand and a higher offensive upside.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If Engvall can develop some more he has a pretty good package of skills. If he produces more offensively, while at the same time tightening up his defensive play and faceoffs he could make a good 4th line center. He doesn't have to improve that much, I see some upside there. He's a lot tougher to play against than originally advertised. He is a fairly close comparable to Gauthier at the NHL level, just with more sand and a higher offensive upside.

Gauthier was much better defensively, is already adjusted to playing center, and will always be better in the dot though.

Engvall would be better suited getting developed into another Hyman than a Gauthier replacement.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Gauthier was much better defensively, is already adjusted to playing center, and will always be better in the dot though.

Engvall would be better suited getting developed into another Hyman than a Gauthier replacement.
A year or two from now the difference in the faceoff circle they may not be vastly different, he's a big guy he should do well. Defensively if developed correctly he will close that gap. Then your left with the difference in grit and offense against the difference in defensive ability and faceoff percentage. Definitely has the potential to be a replacement there. So far, it doesn't look like a massive upgrade, maybe even a sideways move with a slightly different set of skills, but that could change.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's already 23, a leap in development would be highly unusual at this point

The guy can skate and he has size but other than those attributes he just doesn't do anything well enough to be anything more than depth NHL replacement imo

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

The guy can skate and he has size but other than those attributes he just doesn't do anything well enough to be anything more than depth NHL replacement imo

He doesn't have to develop into a sniper, but he can develop into other versions of a legit NHL player ... looking at his career, he seems to be a late bloomer, patience is needed with him

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He doesn't have to develop into a sniper, but he can develop into other versions of a legit NHL player ... looking at his career, he seems to be a late bloomer, patience is needed with him

Looking at age and development curves he's in his most productive years now, he's a .5 PPG AHL player

Not impossible, highly highly unlikely he's anything more than an NHL depth player, which is still pretty solid considering he was a 7th rounder

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

Kid's got a great shot too... hard to say if he's smart enough offensively to get it off on a regular basis.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kid's got a great shot too... hard to say if he's smart enough offensively to get it off on a regular basis.

It's hard to tell, i just don't see it often enough

It's like a lot of his game, tools are there but he always leaves you wanting more

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I have a feeling you can walk into any teams board and figured out whats, what without ever seeing a game and without anyone ever knowing lool ...

tenor.gif

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

First year in NA. Johnsson didn't start out strong either, look where he is. Neither did Moore. Look where he is. Its not as unusual as you might think.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
First year in NA. Johnsson didn't start out strong either, look where he is. Neither did Moore. Look where he is. Its not as unusual as you might think.

You could see the progression in Johnsson and Moore season to season and they both stood out for the Marlies amongst there teammates, they also have multiple attributes that will help them stick at the NHL level
Skating, skill and compete

I just don't see that with Engvall, he can skate but other than that he's a very limited player offensively so that's why I think he's a 4th line injury fill-in type

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Agree on Engvall's shot. It's pretty wicked when he turns it loose. He has pretty good speed too for a big lanky guy.

In his first experience here he got put with offensive black holes in Gauthier and Greening.

This past year he didn't really get that much PP time as that was usually taken up by Mueller/Bracco/Timashov/Moore/Marchment etc.

I think if he got any kind of extended opportunity on the PP he could put up some pretty good AHL nunbers but that really hasn't been his role with the Marlies. He's been good in his own end and is pretty good in terms of CF% if I recall correctly.

This year is a big year for him to see if he can find another level.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Any thoughts on Chase Priskie and who he lines up like on our roster? Any similarities to Duszak for example? just curious. Both over PPG in their last years but AHA =/= ECAC...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Baptiste was surprisingly very good for the Marlies to the point where I thought he might get qualified by the Leafs. This is good news.

Meh, he was nowhere near that good. He was a serviceable 4th liner/depth guy who could occasionally step up higher without killing you. Nothing more.

He's another body to enter the already crowded mix, but he is only an AHL contract and should be good ECHL depth with the outside chance of winning back his role this year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You could see the progression in Johnsson and Moore season to season and they both stood out for the Marlies amongst there teammates, they also have multiple attributes that will help them stick at the NHL level
Skating, skill and compete

I just don't see that with Engvall, he can skate but other than that he's a very limited player offensively so that's why I think he's a 4th line injury fill-in type

Engvall has had 1 season and abit with the Marlies and didn't play with the quality of linemates either Johnsson and Moore have. Engvall still scored at a 20 goal pace in his rookie year, as Johnsson did and better than Moore did Y1&2. We saw what Engvall could do when he was brought in late in 2018, but shunted to the third line to play with scrubs didn't help his numbers last year. I want to see what he's capable of in a top six role, but that's only going to happen when he's put there. He has the skating and the skill and compete level. The Marlies just don't hand out first line opportunities to AHL rookies these days like they did with Brown, Lievo etc. Just ask Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, Moore etc.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Engvall has had 1 season and abit with the Marlies and didn't play with the quality of linemates either Johnsson and Moore have. Engvall still scored at a 20 goal pace in his rookie year, as Johnsson did and better than Moore did Y1&2. We saw what Engvall could do when he was brought in late in 2018, but shunted to the third line to play with scrubs didn't help his numbers last year. I want to see what he's capable of in a top six role, but that's only going to happen when he's put there. He has the skating and the skill and compete level. The Marlies just don't hand out first line opportunities to AHL rookies these days like they did with Brown, Lievo etc. Just ask Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, Moore etc.

Engvall is already 23 and was about .5 PPG over a full AHL season, he was transitioning to center and took on some defensive responsibilities so that probably hurt his offensive production but I just don't think the offensive ceiling or ability is there for a top 9 role

I doubt he ever gets into the top 6, hell i doubt Moore ever does that with us as well and i think hes a significantly better player than Engvall

He can skate but I'd respectfully disagree on the skill part, I just don't see it when I watch him

From what I've seen I doubt the Marlies will ever put Engvall on the top line, it looks like there trying to turn him into a bottom 6 center if his Marlies usage is any indication

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Engvall is already 23 and was about .5 PPG over a full AHL season, he was transitioning to center and took on some defensive responsibilities so that probably hurt his offensive production but I just don't think the offensive ceiling or ability is there for a top 9 role

I doubt he ever gets into the top 6, hell i doubt Moore ever does that with us as well and i think hes a significantly better player than Engvall

He can skate but I'd respectfully disagree on the skill part, I just don't see it when I watch him

From what I've seen I doubt the Marlies will ever put Engvall on the top line, it looks like there trying to turn him into a bottom 6 center if his Marlies usage is any indication

Engvall will be put in the spotlight this year on the Marlies, because the Leafs don't have any center prospect that can touch him right now. When he first came over at the end of 18 and had an offensive role handed to him, he was a PPG winger. He's not Gauthier 2.0. He already scored more goals in year one than Gauthier did in his entire Marlies career. You put him with the likes of any 2 of the Marlies projected other top 5 scoring forwards this year, instead of offensive black holes and he's going to take a big step forwards, just like Bracco, Brooks, Johnsson etc did in their second years and Moore did in his third.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Engvall will be put in the spotlight this year on the Marlies, because the Leafs don't have any center prospect that can touch him right now. When he first came over at the end of 18 and had an offensive role handed to him, he was a PPG winger. He's not Gauthier 2.0. He already scored more goals in year one than Gauthier did in his entire Marlies career. You put him with the likes of any 2 of the Marlies projected other top 5 scoring forwards this year, instead of offensive black holes and he's going to take a big step forwards, just like Bracco, Brooks, Johnsson etc did in their second years and Moore did in his third.

In 18 he played 9 games, that's a tiny sample, in 19 we've got a whole seasons worth of results, there pretty meh

Gauthier is one of the most offensively challenged players I've seen so I'm not using being better than him as a bar

I've got serious doubts about Brooks and Bracco as well as Engvall

Those guys just aren't noticeable difference makers 5v5 like Johnnson and Moore were at that level

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Shhhh, you’ll be ripped apart around these parts if you don’t think Bracco has much NHL potential...

I think he has NHL potential, but as the article says, he needs to improve the defensive side of his game this season, or it's never going to happen as a Leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad