Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Maybe not in this specific case. But it's also important to not 'lose' players that other teams see value in. Leafs need to have cheap talent coming through on ELC or cheap early years contract. They also need to replenish their system from deals that saw futures moved out (Muzzin, Barrie).

Leafs need the Timashovs, Braccos, Marchments, Brooks, Korshkovs etc. to be the next wave pushing through while the younger prospects continue to develop (Robertson, SDA) just to keep costs down. Same goes for the D.

Bubble players like Timashov are lost by many teams every single year. Toronto has plenty of waivers ineligible players to take his place. This is just a product of a solid development system.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Bubble players like Timashov are lost by many teams every single year. Toronto has plenty of waivers ineligible players to take his place. This is just a product of a solid development system.

No doubt. I'm just saying whether it's Timashov or someone else they will need these bubble guys to provide some depth or surprise value. Continue to repopulate the pipeline will be a cog in the success machine.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Maybe not in this specific case. But it's also important to not 'lose' players that other teams see value in. Leafs need to have cheap talent coming through on ELC or cheap early years contract. They also need to replenish their system from deals that saw futures moved out (Muzzin, Barrie).

Leafs need the Timashovs, Braccos, Marchments, Brooks, Korshkovs etc. to be the next wave pushing through while the younger prospects continue to develop (Robertson, SDA) just to keep costs down. Same goes for the D.

Sure. But Timashov to me is Jerry D'amigo 2.0

It's more about the number of prospects for his prospect level vs the actual quality.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I need more footage of Sandin. I must say, i was very underwhelmed when we made the selection. Thought we were leaning towards him only because of Dubas' connection to the Sou. Happy to say that i was clearly wrong as he has only increased his stock since being selected late in the 1st round.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Timashov is Tlusty 2.0 at best.

That would be great actually compared to the predictions I've been reading here. That's a 15-15 player for about 5 NHL seasons. That's actually something. I'm hoping for something closer to a less physical Hyman or a less quick Moore.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Timashov needed, and was set up for a big year last year, and it didn't really happen. He's fallen behind in his progression and at this point, he'll need to find another gear or have some sort of revelation if he's going to make it.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That would be great actually compared to the predictions I've been reading here. That's a 15-15 player for about 5 NHL seasons. That's actually something. I'm hoping for something closer to a less physical Hyman or a less quick Moore.

Where does a 15-15 player fit on the Leafs top 9 though?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
All I am going to say is that he put up a similar season production wise to Andreas Johnsson two years ago when they were the same age (with fewer goals but more assists because he is more of a playmaker than scorer).

Timashov: 72GMS-14G-35A-49PTS with 13GMS-4G-6A-10PTS in the playoffs.
Johnsson: 75GMS-20G-27A-47PTS with 11GMS-6G-0A-6PTS in the playoffs.

I believe Johnsson was getting more consistent ice time with good players vs. Timashov as well. I do not have super high hopes for Timashov, but he's done enough to be given at least another year and has shown steady improvement each year. The main thing he needs now is consistency and to continue to tighten up his weak areas. It would also be nice for him to score a bit more and perhaps to adapt into more of an energy player like Johnsson and Moore did, but he's never put up big goal numbers at any level and not everyone can just go from a smaller playmaker to what Johnsson and Moore became. If he can be more of what he was in the second half, then there is no reason for him to take a major leap forward and challenge for an NHL job. It wouldn't be the first time; Trevor Moore looked like a career AHLer before March 2018 but exploded into one of the best AHLers since. Timashov is younger and had a similarly strong end to his season like Moore did in 2017-2018.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm not writing Timashov off yet, but I don't think he's definitely looking more like a depth role player at best.

He's improved his production each year ... If he can keep that up, he might be useful depth for the Leafs later this season or next year.

But he's been passed on the depth chart.. So he's on the cusp of the outs.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A 15-15 player would be in every team's top 9.

Not if you are a pure offensive player. If they were strong defensively, then maybe. Or if you were on a weak team.

On a higher end team, unless they just need a cheap body, you'd probably need to put up 40 points at least to get into the top 9 as a pure offensive forward.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
It'll be interesting to see how they manage all of the vets with the Marlies (if they all stick around - i.e. don't bolt to Europe or are claimed). Still super early obviously, but..

Just say Marincin makes the roster, Holl/Schmaltz are 7/8th defenders (could be anyone, just going to keep the RHD on the roster for Babcock's sake) and Agostino/Petan are the 12/13th forwards, when the Leafs are healthy the Marlies could see all of Shore, Wilson, Kossila, Gaudet, Aberg, and Gauthier join the group and that would be half the forward core. Returning group being the likes of Marchment, Timashov, Bracco, Engvall, Korshkov and Brazeau. Clune/Archibald/McMaster probably the extra forwards unless they want 22-year-old Luchuk sitting on the sidelines with them.

Things get more interesting on defense with needing to find ice-time for everyone.

Sandin - Lily
Gravel - Hollowell
Harpur - Duszak
Kivihalme - Lindgren

Not to mention if Neuvirth gets a contracts and bumps Hutchinson down. 2 AHL vet goalies and our top two goalie prospects needing ice-time.

Small problems, but a lot of deck chair shuffling to find ice-time at least at the start of the year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It'll be interesting to see how they manage all of the vets with the Marlies (if they all stick around - i.e. don't bolt to Europe or are claimed). Still super early obviously, but..

Just say Marincin makes the roster, Holl/Schmaltz are 7/8th defenders (could be anyone, just going to keep the RHD on the roster for Babcock's sake) and Agostino/Petan are the 12/13th forwards, when the Leafs are healthy the Marlies could see all of Shore, Wilson, Kossila, Gaudet, Aberg, and Gauthier join the group and that would be half the forward core. Returning group being the likes of Marchment, Timashov, Bracco, Engvall, Korshkov and Brazeau. Clune/Archibald/McMaster probably the extra forwards unless they want 22-year-old Luchuk sitting on the sidelines with them.

Things get more interesting on defense with needing to find ice-time for everyone.

Sandin - Lily
Gravel - Hollowell
Harpur - Duszak
Kivihalme - Lindgren

Not to mention if Neuvirth gets a contracts and bumps Hutchinson down. 2 AHL vet goalies and our top two goalie prospects needing ice-time.

Small problems, but a lot of deck chair shuffling to find ice-time at least at the start of the year.

Having great depth is a very positive thing, and will no doubt increase internal competition. It might be a challenge how to shuffle the chairs as you say. but both the Leafs and Marlies should be competitive this year. My dark horse to make the team is Kivihalme as the #3LHD. I think Lily also is on the opening night roster, with Dermott's injury. Marner's contract signing, or a delay, could open up a spot for someone like Bracco, and Hyman's injury of course as well.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Timashov needed, and was set up for a big year last year, and it didn't really happen. He's fallen behind in his progression and at this point, he'll need to find another gear or have some sort of revelation if he's going to make it.

I agree.

He's very likely going to pass through waivers so hopefully this is the kick in the ass he needs.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Sandin - Lily
Gravel - Hollowell
Harpur - Duszak
Kivihalme - Lindgren

Lindgren will be in over Duszsk probably, and Kivi over one of the other vets.
The Marlies are going to have a lot of depth at forward and defence, so it will be interesting how Keefe manages all of it.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Again calling Liljegren the best defensive dman on the marlies.

That would seem to make him pretty nhl-ready.

Unless he blows up at camp, he's definitely ready imo.

Don't think they're gonna give him the spot, and will probably end up going with the Dermott (mid-season callup) route, but my guess is he'd be the second best RHD on the team by April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad