Prospect Info: Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I'll probably get flamed for this. But I don't see Stone making the team, he'll lose his roster spot to Condra. Not head use of budget issues, but because Maclean will focus more on winning low scoring hockey games
:huh:
Stones as good defensively as Condra but brings offense.

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
:huh:
Stones as good defensively as Condra but brings offense.

Yup Stone was very good with is stickhandling last year, especially when he was playing with Turret and Mac. I remember that i was impress by the way he was stealing the puck from the other team's players using is body and creating turnovers.......that were not against us, i wanna see more of this:)

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Many players are good 200ft hockey players. Those are dime a dozen players. Bissonnette is in the same boat as Condra, do you really want Bissonnette on your team?
I don't know where you got the idea that Bissonnette is a good defensive player, but he's as bad in his own end as he is in the opponent's.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I was obviously exaggerating a tad, but the point stands

Why do you feel the need to speak in absolutes and with ultimatums. I don't appreciate people who argument like that. Did the sophists not teach you anything?

It takes an awfully advanced mental game - and likely work ethic - to overcome his skill deficits.

He's a very useful player, you probably just don't think so because there's kids in Junior B that make it look better than he does.

Players that always seem to win more shifts than they lose aren't a dime a dozen, doesn't matter if he's a 4th liner. There are plenty of 4th liners in the league that lose most of their shifts.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'll probably get flamed for this. But I don't see Stone making the team, he'll lose his roster spot to Condra. Not head use of budget issues, but because Maclean will focus more on winning low scoring hockey games

You honestly think PMac is going to say that he wants to replace scorers with grinders so he can win low scoring games? That's pretty backwards.

Maybe he'll flip the lines and play a top line of Greening-Smith-Neil. You know, so that he can avoid scoring goals and keep with the gameplan.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It takes an awfully advanced mental game - and likely work ethic - to overcome his skill deficits.

He's a very useful player, you probably just don't think so because there's kids in Junior B that make it look better than he does.

Players that always seem to win more shifts than they lose aren't a dime a dozen, doesn't matter if he's a 4th liner. There are plenty of 4th liners in the league that lose most of their shifts.

Cough Cou*Neil*gh cough...

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yup Stone was very good with is stickhandling last year, especially when he was playing with Turret and Mac. I remember that i was impress by the way he was stealing the puck from the other team's players using is body and creating turnovers.......that were not against us, i wanna see more of this:)

Stone is so lethal at the opposing blue line when he's backchecking. I lost track of how many pucks he stole. He's tenacious.

Still, Condra is a better defensive forward. Stone is a far better two-way forward (in no small part because he includes scoring in his skillset).

WhiteLight*

Man people act as if Condra is some defensive God.

He's not.

But at the same time, people think he's useless offensively or at anything else. Condra has the ability to put up 25-30 points. He's good in transition and decent playmaker. I like him as an all around player

I like what MoO said. Wins more shifts than he loses. Extremely valuable quality to have in 4th liners. Getting rid of guys like that is counter-productive.

Stone is not at Condra's level defensively yet. Though he's good and I don't mind him playing with Turris on the shutdown line

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Stone is so lethal at the opposing blue line when he's backchecking. I lost track of how many pucks he stole. He's tenacious.

Still, Condra is a better defensive forward. Stone is a far better two-way forward (in no small part because he includes scoring in his skillset).

I agree. That's my view too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
:dunno:

I find them similar defensively. Maybe Condra gets the edge because of his skating and he's proven.

I view Condra as better defensively because he is first three steps faster and quicker to react defensively because of his better skating. Offensively we know Stone is much much getter than Condra. Condra, it seems cannot hit the broad side of a barn. ( I however have proven I can definitely hit the broad side of a barn . . . On a golf course several years ago with a very impressive right hook!). :)

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Man people act as if Condra is some defensive God.
Defensive gods are guys who are 1st liners almost entirely because of that (or defensemen). Condra isn't that, but he's a pretty great bottom 6 type basically entirely because of his defensive work.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
Condra is defensively responsible, that's it. He isn't a "great" defender, but he will do his job on defence. Condra isn't "great" at pk either, but he is good. he knows how to stay in the shooting lane and pressure the puck handler. If Condra manages to take the puck away, he doesn't know what to do with it. He often ends up giving it right back in an attempt to clear the puck, or if he skates it out, ends up shooting the puck into the goalkeepers midsection. He can sometimes forecheck the opponents PP unit aggressively and still get back to defend. Condra is able to help eat up seconds on the clock during the pk, that is his job and he does it well enough.

Stone is also defensively responsible. He just isn't as quick as Condra, but he brings a higher hockey IQ, and better stick.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Condra's job is to shutdown the opposition and, by all metrics, he excels at this

Stone's job is to score goals and he happens to be good defensively too

BigBush*

You honestly think PMac is going to say that he wants to replace scorers with grinders so he can win low scoring games? That's pretty backwards.

Maybe he'll flip the lines and play a top line of Greening-Smith-Neil. You know, so that he can avoid scoring goals and keep with the gameplan.

How's that backwards? I think he'll chose experienced players with good defensive game to start the season.
I'm not claiming Condra is better than Stone, it's just that no one has Condra on their projected line up and I believe he'll make the team over Stone at the start of the season

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
How's that backwards? I think he'll chose experienced players with good defensive game to start the season.
I'm not claiming Condra is better than Stone, it's just that no one has Condra on their projected line up and I believe he'll make the team over Stone at the start of the season

I have Condra on my projected lineup, 4LW. He's battling Hoffman for a regular spot.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibanejad Stone
Greening Legwand Chiasson
Condra Smith Neil
Hoffman

But, what may happen is;

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Michalek Legwand Chiasson/Stone
Greening Smith Neil
Hoffman/Condra Zibanejad Stone/Chiasson/Condra

Which makes Hoffman and Condra much more of a tossup as to who sits.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not even remotely true. Condra is a great defensive player, Stone projects as below average defensively and as of right now is quite a bit worse than that.

Using a quote on the latest article :

Mark Stone (small sample size alert) recorded a 56.9 Fenwick percentage last season in his 19 games despite starting 46.7 per cent of his shifts in the offensive zone — a 7.5 per cent drop off from the average Senator who didn't line up with Stone

Small sample size but that sounds like a promising player defensively.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Using a quote on the latest article :

Small sample size but that sounds like a promising player defensively.
He didn't play much, and when he did he played with Turris and MacArthur, so that's not very valuable information (especially as it relates to the defensive side only, since I do think that Stone is a good offensive player). By the same token Hoffman looks pretty decent in FA/20, and I'm even less enthusiastic about his defensive skills. I'm thinking more along the lines of using him on the PK or up 1 with a minute to go in your own end.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Condra makes every line better, he is a really smart player. But so is Stone.

If it comes down to Stone vs Condra then take Stone.

Either way we suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad