Speculation: Mark Stone Mega-Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The idea that the market would collapse was always far fetched. Dorion will have to come down from his ask but the fact that it still remains high shows how strong the market is. Question is how far will he have to come down.

It comes down when teams start spending assets elsewhere and dropping out. As long as they're all still in, the value remains high.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Maloney said Calgary was working on something big last night but it fell through, Boston got Coyle, and may have turned their attention on Staal. Jets who I thought were the favorites, have moved on to Hayes.

This to me leads me to believe it is VGK or the NY Isles. Dorion may have waited too long, and one of these 2 teams may slide on in and get Stone at a reasonable price. The longer this goes, some teams may go to plan B. Dorion needs to move fast.

What's Plan B? Staal doesn't want to be traded. Hayes is gone.

There's Simmonds and...nobody else really. Simmonds is also not nearly the same impact player that Stone is.

I imagine Nashville is big on this as well. Their roster as it stands likely isn't enough to get to the final again with the other teams in the West.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
How is Calgary’s window now? They’ve got a lot of good young players locked up long term. They should be contending the next 3-4 years at least.

They aren’t in a situation where they need to go all-in.
3 years is the realistic window given Johnny's value contract and Gio's consistent play. No guarantees that they are able to repeat this season (their best in 25+ years) even with the exact same cast next season. I agree that we should (without giving up Valimaki) be pushing all in with futures in order to maximize the current success. See Chicago and Hossa

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
to me Lou would be foolish getting involved with talks for Stone. Not giving 2 1st rounders and top specs for him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

There's Simmonds and...nobody else really. Simmonds is also not nearly the same impact player that Stone is.

I imagine Nashville is big on this as well. Their roster as it stands likely isn't enough to get to the final again with the other teams in the West.

Kovy, Johansson, Hoffman? I would say they will fall once Stone falls, or the more Dorion waits, perhaps rival GM's say. I can't no longer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
to me Lou would be foolish getting involved with talks for Stone. Not giving 2 1st rounders and top specs for him.

Based on other trades that have gone down which I would term more costly. A prospect and a first would be pedestrian in price. I would trade a first and Bellows for Stone. If Stone signs on the Island, he would be worth a 2nd 1st. Stone is the best player this TDL. He is only 26, and he is one of the best wingers in the game. A 2 way winger to boot. I regard him as a core star player in the NHL.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Based on other trades which I would term more costly. I would trade a first and Bellows for Stone. If Stone signs on the Island, he would be worth a 2nd 1st. Stone is the best player this TDL. He is only 26, and he is one of the best wingers in the game. A 2 way winger to boot. I regard him a core player.

If you are right and for us to get Stone is our 1st and Bellows....sign me up now. But reports are its way, way more.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
If there's not a good enough an offer out there, does it make sense for OTT to just keep him?

Body to fill the ranks, keeps the team situation from getting too dark with all the kids, gives them more time to negotiate with him.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
If they trade him to the Sharks it would help guarantee the potential first they got in the Karlsson trade actually become 1st. Just sayin’ :sarcasm:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If there's not a good enough an offer out there, does it make sense for OTT to just keep him?

Body to fill the ranks, keeps the team situation from getting too dark with all the kids, gives them more time to negotiate with him.
He’s not signing in Ottawa

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Naw the Sens don't want to get taveressed. They either have to sign him or trade him .This franchise can't afford to piss off the fanbase anymore.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If you are right and for us to get Stone is our 1st and Bellows....sign me up now. But reports are its way, way more.

I agree with this was prior to the Jets trading for Hayes, and Boston apparently looking elsewhere with the Staal rumours and Coyle trades. Maloney saying something fell through last night may mean the market is shrinking. Dorion is under the gun now to take the best deal on the table.

Reactions: Snowman

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

You can't risk an asset like that walking for nothing if you are trying to rebuild.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Don't think there's a question that he's a player you can build around, it's just about the massive question mark of IF they can even sign him given Stone's interest. I think you have to trade him if you don't think you can resign him considering Ottawa is way out of it and needs to stockpile more picks/prospects for the rebuild.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Apparently Melnyk doesn't have the money to pay Stone a bonus structure that his peers get, and the Stone camp wants that. The Sens can't/won't do it. So there's no reason to keep him IMO. I mean as a Sens fan I would have liked to keep all of our star players and not be a farm team for the NHL, but it is what it is. The organization is a joke.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

They should be fine. Plan B is likely to just go with what they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino