Speculation: Mark Stone Mega-Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

The idea that the market would collapse was always far fetched. Dorion will have to come down from his ask but the fact that it still remains high shows how strong the market is. Question is how far will he have to come down.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Ugh hopefully NOT Boston.

Honestly thinkg Calgary is dumb. Just pay the price. You're window is now. I don't see them having a season like this again for a while. You're in 1st place in the division. You have an easy matchup in round 1. Round 2 winner will be tired after a tough round 1. Then anything goes after that.

Reactions: McDLT

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The idea that the market would collapse was always far fetched. Dorion will have to come down from his ask but the fact that it still remains high shows how strong the market is. Question is how far will he have to come down.

Dorion ended up with much less than what VGK had offered for EK65 last trade deadline. It remaining so high could also be an indication of his frequent delusional evaluation of expiring contracts.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Dorion ended up with much less than what VGK had offered for EK65 last trade deadline. It remaining so high could also be an indication of his frequent delusional evaluation of expiring contracts.

Have there been any actual reports on what VGK offered?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Honestly thinkg Calgary is dumb. Just pay the price. You're window is now. I don't see them having a season like this again for a while. You're in 1st place in the division. You have an easy matchup in round 1. Round 2 winner will be tired after a tough round 1. Then anything goes after that.
It's a thin line honestly. I'm sure the Flames recognize the opportunity they have this season, but trading a stud like Valimaki for what could end up being just a few months of Stone isn't something that keeps you competitive in the long run.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

If we gave up what Ottawa was reportedly asking our window would only be now. We'd have no assets to give next year at the deadline and we'd have little in the way of cheap young players to fill in spots next year.

I'd much rather keep those assets and try and sign Stone in the summer if we have to.

We should have another couple of years of window before Gio declines and our core is still young. Tkachuk is only getting better and most of our D this year are rookies. No way they improve right?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Have there been any actual reports on what VGK offered?

I forget the details, but IIRC it was some 5 or 6 pieces between players, prospects, picks, though precise details were never revealed. It is widely believed that Ottawa demanded Glass, and VGK wasn't fixin' to do that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I forget the details, but IIRC it was some 5 or 6 pieces between players, prospects, picks, though precise details were never revealed. It is widely believed that Ottawa demanded Glass, and VGK wasn't fixin' to do that.

Based on the deatials that you mentioned it really doesnt seem any better than the package they received in september. Of course a propsect like Glass or Branstrom would change that but all indications were they werent on the table.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

How is Calgary’s window now? They’ve got a lot of good young players locked up long term. They should be contending the next 3-4 years at least.

They aren’t in a situation where they need to go all-in.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa

Is Brannstrom even available? Forget about Glass....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maloney said Calgary was working on something big last night but it fell through, Boston got Coyle, and may have turned their attention on Staal. Jets who I thought were the favorites, have moved on to Hayes.

This to me leads me to believe it is VGK or the NY Isles. Dorion may have waited too long, and one of these 2 teams may slide on in and get Stone at a reasonable price. The longer this goes, some teams may go to plan B. Dorion needs to move fast.

Reactions: Snowman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad