Value of: Mark Scheifele

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Wonder if Dallas would do a Klingberg for Schiefele one for one swap. Seguin isn't getting any younger and he can be moved to wing.
Wow! It is absolutely amazing in this day and age with Cap Friendly at your fingertips that people can be this utterly clueless on contracts. The complete ignorance and lack of understanding on contracts is stunning.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We always hear how x player value is high from “HFB fans”, but in this case even one of the most well known insiders is saying there will be extremely high demand and very good value. This isn’t Jets fans saying it, this is one of the most well known insider saying it. PPG 1C two years term on a sweet heart deal is very good and under 30 years old.

As far as what you think his value is Vs what I think his value is really meaningless & subjective bc we have no influence on the outcome. Going to be fun watching unfold, regardless if your a Jets fans or not. Going to be a fun summer as a Jets fan. We’ve been screaming for a entire coaching change for years and now we’ve got it. Mark has some thing upsetting him regarding the team, ok no problem we’ll trade him & enjoy his return. Adapt & move on.
Meh. Teams try to create markets at times as well. I don't see how Winnipeg "wins" a Schiefle trade short of going into rebuilding which seems unlikely to me. Schiefle, whatever his faults, is an excellent player. I can see great "value" but most likely in terms of a couple of first rounders and maybe a lesser roster player or a good prospect. I am struggling to see a one for one trade where Winnipeg returns a better center than Schiefle. Maybe a lesser one signed a bit longer but presumably if we can see the issues for Schiefle the other teams can as well. My guess is he settles down over the offseason and is back in the lineup in the fall. The one caveat to me is if it truly is addition by subtraction (which may have been the case with Eichel). Then, Winnipeg trades him and takes a similar package back with maybe a bit less value.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Meh. Teams try to create markets at times as well. I don't see how Winnipeg "wins" a Schiefle trade short of going into rebuilding which seems unlikely to me. Schiefle, whatever his faults, is an excellent player. I can see great "value" but most likely in terms of a couple of first rounders and maybe a lesser roster player or a good prospect. I am struggling to see a one for one trade where Winnipeg returns a better center than Schiefle. Maybe a lesser one signed a bit longer but presumably if we can see the issues for Schiefle the other teams can as well. My guess is he settles down over the offseason and is back in the lineup in the fall. The one caveat to me is if it truly is addition by subtraction (which may have been the case with Eichel). Then, Winnipeg trades him and takes a similar package back with maybe a bit less value.
I don't see the Jets getting a similar centre to Scheifele back either. I think that's the nature though when someone is looking to add someone like Scheifele.

I think a team adding Scheifele is looking to add him to put them over the top, so a future package is more likely. But if the prospect part of the package is ready to step in an contribute at even 50% of MS (in whatever position), and the Jets can use Cap space, other pieces to fill out their roster, it may not require a full rebuild.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Schiefele is excellent offensively. He is more than capable of playing well defensively (e.g., he played against Connor McDavid in the playoffs, which the Jets swept).

The issue with the Jets in general, and something that Stastny pointed out, was that there was little accountability. Jets systems apparently sucked too. I have no doubt that if you put Schiefele in the right situation, he would be that top centre again. He’ll have a chip on his shoulder and will be playing for his next contract. This is a BIG player and he is on a sweetheart contract.

Those trying to devalue him are being pretty ignorant. Schiefele would be a major add to potentially put a contending team over the top.

Frankly, I am hoping that a new Jets coaching staff could get Schiefele back to the complete player we expect from him. If we feel we have to deal him, he’s going to get a big value trade return despite what HF forum amateurs would think.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I always (not being from Winnipeg) thought Scheifele was the Beaver Cleaver type of guy. Now it looks like he's turned into the Eddie Haskell type of guy. Who knew?

Reactions: Drumman44

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
debrusk is a 1st line winger now? Grzelcyk is 28 and is a lhd when we have jomo/dillon/samberg/heinola/stanley/schmidt who all shoot left... steen is 24 already hardly an intriguing prospect and a late 1st we want quality not quantity...
K...keep him, enjoy the playoffs again

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If they weren't in the same division, a Fiala-Schiefele swap would make a lot of sense. Minny needs a 1C, and Schiefele will be cheaper for the next couple of years over what Fiala is probably going to make.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Bruins offer DeBrusk, Grzelcyk, first, Steen (no to Lysell, Lohrei, Swayman)

Those pieces aren't bad at all but your offer lacks a quality centerpiece imo, and as such, can probably be easily outbid. It also fails to truly account for what the Jets need

I also think you overvalue those players (DeBrusk a first line winger?) but whatever

Reactions: gojetsgo

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
If they weren't in the same division, a Fiala-Schiefele swap would make a lot of sense. Minny needs a 1C, and Schiefele will be cheaper for the next couple of years over what Fiala is probably going to make.
If he wasn't one of the last things the Jets need as a left shot winger and he wouldn't looking for a huge raise after a career season, it might make sense. But as it stands now, Fiala wouldn't be at the top of Winnipeg's shopping list.

Reactions: Huffer

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Bruins offer DeBrusk, Grzelcyk, first, Steen (no to Lysell, Lohrei, Swayman)

We could take DeBrusk but he would be an add in, not the main return.

We'd want Carlo instead of Gryz just based off of what we already have on the roster and Gryz's age (he's a better player than most non-Boston fans expect).

As we don't want Left D, Lohrei isn't of interest. Swayman could be a Helle replacement but I don't think it's good business to trade a 1C for a goalie as a major part of the return either, so not an issue that Swayman isn't available.

With Carlo we'd be getting a 2nd pair Right Dman that is in his prime with term. DeBrusk doesn't really help us out so I'd rather not include him in the trade but as his trade request still stands we can use him and it will be fun to say that you shipped him up to Winnipeg for the fanbase, but those are 2 sort of underwhelming pieces for a PPG 1C with that contract so I would need something with some more sizzle. Right shot forwards with top 6 upside are something we could use more of. You may say great, I've got Jack Studnicka for you but I'm not sold on him. He's going to be 24 next year and hasn't been able to break in yet. So in my view it's pretty much got to be Lysell and then the Jets add to give you back a right D to replace Carlo or see if there's something else that you'd need that we have.

Carlo, Lysell + DeBrusk for Scheif + ???? To me that is the deal with Boston or else we go somewhere else.

The thing is Bergy could retire and Pasta is going into his walk year, Marchand is going to be 34, Hall 31. In my view Boston needs to do something to convince Pasta to stay and the age of the roster means you hold it together for 2-3 more years and then it's rebuild time or you don't add a top 6 C and Pasta walks in a year and this season is your last real kick at it for a while.

I feel like there will be pressure for Boston to bring someone in. Maybe that isn't Scheif, but he might be the most realistic option out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad