Mark Scheifele vs Auston Matthews

Who would u rather add to ur team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Just because you subscribe to the ridiculous notion that pace means nothing doesn't make it true. He didn't just play at a ppg pace for a small 15 game sample size or something like that. Matthews HAS already shown he can match scheifele for points in a season and has shown to be a much better goal scorer already. Goals have always and will also be more valuable than assists. To think he wouldn't of continued at his ppg pace for the 20 games he missed is naive. Especially when you factor in he did that while battling injuries.

They're clearly as close to on par as you can get right now. One player is 20, one is 25. You don't need a lot of hockey knowledge to know where things typically trend from those ages.
If goals are more important does that mean Ovechkin is still better than McDavid? And by the way, Scheifele LEADS the playoffs in goals. Im not even a matthews hater but for christ sakes, temper your expectations. And just because Scheifele is 25 doesnt mean he cant get any better either. You act like hes f***ing 35. All i tried saying is matthews isnt going to ascend to another level over Scheifele anytime soon.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
If goals are more important does that mean Ovechkin is still better than McDavid? And by the way, Scheifele LEADS the playoffs in goals. Im not even a matthews hater but for christ sakes, temper your expectations. And just because Scheifele is 25 doesnt mean he cant get any better either. You act like hes ****ing 35. All i tried saying is matthews isnt going to ascend to another level over Scheifele anytime soon.

I don’t really get the ovechkin McDavid comparison to what I was saying. There’s a 20-30 point gap between those two players so obviously Ovi’s goals don’t make up for that gap. Matthews and Scheifele literally play at the exact same ppg pace with Matthews putting up significantly more goals.

And I don’t really feel like my expectations for Matthews are that outrageous that they need to be tempered. All I’m saying is he’s a 20 year old kid so of course he’s got another’s level in him. That’s common sense. Scheifele is most likely in his prime right now so this is probably the best he’ll ever be statistically. If Matthews = Scheifele today then the odds heavily favouring the 20 year old kid to be the better player going forward is all I’m saying. It’s not a knock on Scheifele. He’s a stud.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Auston Matthews isn't a gamble.

People are overreacting so much to tiny sample sizes just because it's the playoffs.

Scheifele has had a better PPG than Matthews since last season, Scheifele is single handily dominating teams in the Playoffs and Scheifele has probably the best contract in the entire league...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Scheifele has had a better PPG than Matthews since last season, Scheifele is single handily dominating teams in the Playoffs and Scheifele has probably the best contract in the entire league...
scheiffle plays with much better players.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Scheif is the better player obviously, but Matthews has the potential to surpass him. However, I'd rather pay 6 million for Scheif than 10 million for Matthews.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
scheiffle plays with much better players.

Yes because Nylander is horrible... Anyways I’m sure the same would be said if we replaced Scheifele with Connor or Wheeler by people who don’t watch the Jets. Scheifele is the best player on the Jets not only his line. But yes why not make excuses...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes because Nylander is horrible... Anyways I’m sure the same would be said if we replaced Scheifele with Connor or Wheeler by people who don’t watch the Jets. Scheifele is the best player on the Jets not only his line. But yes why not make excuses...
nylander is not horrible and these are not excuses. hyman is inferior to connor and nylander is inferior to wheeler. put matthews in scheiffle's spot and he will outproduce scheiffle. he was already a ppg this season, like scheiffle

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
nylander is not horrible and these are not excuses. hyman is inferior to connor and nylander is inferior to wheeler. put matthews in scheiffle's spot and he will outproduce scheiffle. he was already a ppg this season, like scheiffle

That’s a cold assumption, the argument could be made that Matthews has had more opportunities in his position. Also how did that production carry into the playoffs...?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That’s a cold assumption, the argument could be made that Matthews has had more opportunities in his position. Also how did that production carry into the playoffs...?
it didn't carry well into the playoffs. however he was matched up against the best line in hockey playing the best defensive center of the past decade so that a big factor. he played a tougher opponent in the first round as well.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
it didn't carry well into the playoffs. however he was matched up against the best line in hockey playing the best defensive center of the past decade so that a big factor. he played a tougher opponent in the first round as well.

Another excuse, Scheifele posted what like 8 Goals agaisnt the Preds, the best defence in the league by a mile...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Another excuse, Scheifele posted what like 8 Goals agaisnt the Preds, the best defence in the league by a mile...
best offensive defense in the league. they are overrated as a whole. they are very poor in their own zone

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Scheifele has 12 goals in his last 13 games and Matthews has been deemed a “choker” by the brilliant prophets who post here.

Gee, I wonder how this poll will turn out!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They are definitely better than the Bruins in GAPG, as the Preds are 2nd in GAPG... I think your watching to much TSN bud...
its because of rinne that they are 2nd in gapg. they gave up the 11th most shots/game whereas the bruins gave up the least amount

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Matthews is 20, Scheifele is 25.

If you go based on both of their first two NHL seasons where they were both regulars, Scheifele played only one more game. Here are the numbers:

Matthews - 144 games - 74 goals, 58 assists = 132 points
Scheifele - 145 games - 28 goals, 55 assists = 83 points

You're comparing an NHL veteran to someone who just finished his second season.

I love Mark Scheifele as a player, btw. He's one of the reason I'm rooting for the Jets if they get to the finals. And some would probably consider me a Leaf hater. I give their fans a lot of crap on HFBoards. But, let's be fair.

I would take Matthews. I'm talking about as a hockey player, contract stuff aside.

Reactions: Bozle

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
its because of rinne that they are 2nd in gapg. they gave up the 11th most shots/game whereas the bruins gave up the least amount

Rinne was the best goalie because of his defence. Also Shots don’t matter half as much compared to the qaulity of them...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Rinne was the best goalie because of his defence. Also Shots don’t matter half as much compared to the qaulity of them...
partially because of his defense, most of him being a good goalie was on his own

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
best offensive defense in the league. they are overrated as a whole. they are very poor in their own zone
117 points on the season says they ate not over rated. Funny how leaf fans say teams they play against are the best in the league. Other team teams win and they ate playing over rated teams. Funny the lighting can beat the best Boston.. .didn't they play the same juggernaut? So many leaf excuses. Face the facts and man up. Hiding behind excuses buys you nothing.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Just because I'm a cheeky lil bastard.. I'm voting for Matthews on the basis that the Jets already have a Mark Scheifele on the team and the poll asks who would I rather add. It doesn't stipulate you can only have one or the other!

original-25942-1427414325-9.jpg

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
117 points on the season says they ate not over rated. Funny how leaf fans say teams they play against are the best in the league. Other team teams win and they ate playing over rated teams. Funny the lighting can beat the best Boston.. .didn't they play the same juggernaut? So many leaf excuses. Face the facts and man up. Hiding behind excuses buys you nothing.
i was talking about the defense as overrated not the team, and i highly doubt you find it funny if you wasted so much time and effort into this stupid rant. another thing, the boston bruins were the hottest and most complete team in the nhl coming into the playoffs. however the lightning proved to be too much for them and took them out. the lightning are a better team than the leafs, so you saying that the bruins lost to the lightning doesn't imply anything.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
partially because of his defense, most of him being a good goalie was on his own

Sure.... is that why Saros had Elite Goaltending stats as well? All your arguments are not mentioning how Matthews is somehow better, it is just an excuse machine of a argument.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
i was talking about the defense as overrated not the team, and i highly doubt you find it funny if you wasted so much time and effort into this stupid rant. another thing, the boston bruins were the hottest and most complete team in the nhl coming into the playoffs. however the lightning proved to be too much for them and took them out. the lightning are a better team than the leafs, so you saying that the bruins lost to the lightning doesn't imply anything.
Boston was 1-4 in there last 5 games and they were the most complefe team coming into the playoffs? Keep making excuses. It us hilarious that you post crap what can easily be proven wrong, and believe people are so stupid that they cant look and see the truth. More excuses...and more... Keep deflecting.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Boston was 1-4 in there last 5 games and they were the most complefe team coming into the playoffs? Keep making excuses. It us hilarious that you post crap what can easily be proven wrong, and believe people are so stupid that they cant look and see the truth. More excuses...and more... Keep deflecting.
using a 5 game sample to evaluate whether a team is hot going into the playoffs is incredibly stupid. since you were blinded by your homerism, the bruins were the one of the best teams, if not the best, in the nhl from december to april. they could defend, they could score, they could forecheck, backcheck, etc. they were the most complete team in the nhl for sure.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
using a 5 game sample to evaluate whether a team is hot going into the playoffs is incredibly stupid. since you were blinded by your homerism, the bruins were the one of the best teams, if not the best, in the nhl from december to april. they could defend, they could score, they could forecheck, backcheck, etc. they were the most complete team in the nhl for sure.
7-10 in their last 17 games? They were on fire. You are making a fool of yourself. Next excuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad