Mark Scheifele vs Auston Matthews

Who would u rather add to ur team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I can understand voting for Scheifele here especially when contracts are taken into account. They're both stud players and you couldn't go wrong with either. But what I don't agree with is the number of people here thinking Scheifele is what Matthews hopes to be. That's just recency bias talking. Matthews is clearly already on par with Scheifele and the numbers most certainly back that up.

So for me it boils down to would I rather take the player most likely in his prime now or would I rather take the player most likely to reach another level? I guess it's possible Matthews' development may stall and he never reaches that next level sure, but you'd be betting against the odds if that's your opinion. Not saying Scheifele can't keep improving either, but again if I'm a betting man I'm going with the statistics based off historical trends. 20 year olds typically take their games to the next level and typically peak (at least offensively) around the age Scheifele is now. If contracts aren't a factor the choice is easily Matthews for me. Not quite as easy when contracts are part of the picture though because we know Matthews is about to get paid.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Um no, he has not. He has not had a season where he had more then 69 points. Sorry for bringing reality into this argument.

When I went to school, 69 was a bigger number than 60. He's actually never had a season where he hasn't scored more than 60 points.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can understand voting for Scheifele here especially when contracts are taken into account. They're both stud players and you couldn't go wrong with either. But what I don't agree with is the number of people here thinking Scheifele is what Matthews hopes to be. That's just recency bias talking. Matthews is clearly already on par with Scheifele and the numbers most certainly back that up.

So for me it boils down to would I rather take the player most likely in his prime now or would I rather take the player most likely to reach another level? I guess it's possible Matthews' development may stall and he never reaches that next level sure, but you'd be betting against the odds if that's your opinion. Not saying Scheifele can't keep improving either, but again if I'm a betting man I'm going with the statistics based off historical trends. 20 year olds typically take their games to the next level and typically peak (at least offensively) around the age Scheifele is now. If contracts aren't a factor the choice is easily Matthews for me. Not quite as easy when contracts are part of the picture though because we know Matthews is about to get paid.

I think this is the key. The money saved on a Scheifele's contract is likely in the 5M per year range if Matthews gets approx 11M per. 5M in cap assets can go onto making a hockey club much better.

Reactions: Snowman

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
When I went to school, 69 was a bigger number than 60. He's actually never had a season where he hasn't scored more than 60 points.
Cool, now try reading the post you quoted.

"Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points?"
What is the answer? It would be a no, hence he is a 60~ point player.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Cool, now try reading the post you quoted.

"Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points?"
What is the answer? It would be a no, hence he is a 60~ point player.

hockeyguy1121 said:
Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points? No. Sorry, games not played do not count. Right now he is a 60 point player until he proves otherwise. Schiefele has proven otherwise. That is not even bringing up Matthews horrid playoff performance.

Thanks for adding the "~".​

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
You must realize how ridiculous a statement like this makes you sound no? Having any sort of meaningful debate with you is a non-starter if that's how you view things. This sort of nonsense logic allows you to put Matthews on par with a player like Eberle or Anders Lee because they also finished with 60ish points which we can all agree is nonsense. Of course ppg matters.....use some common sense.
Until he proves otherwise. He has not hit 70 points yet. Eberle did it his second season.
Anders Lee is a decent comparable. Exact same amount of goals the last two years.
Why are people acting like Matthews getting what four different injuries including a concussion is a good thing? As of right now Matthews has not hit 70 points. Sorry that the truth hurts you people so much. Will he in the future? Most likely, but you never know after how he looked in the playoffs.
He was a detriment to his team in the playoffs. He had 0 PP points, two Even Strength points and was a -4. When he was on the ice his team scored two times and the opponent scored 6 times. That is really, really bad. Like I said he was so bad in the playoffs he was a DETRIMENT to his team.
Going to be funny watching him get 11+ Million for one of the worst playoff performances ever and never hitting 70 points.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
hockeyguy1121 said:
Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points? No. Sorry, games not played do not count. Right now he is a 60 point player until he proves otherwise. Schiefele has proven otherwise. That is not even bringing up Matthews horrid playoff performance.

Thanks for adding the "~".​
Has Matthews gotten out of the 60's in points

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Fine! This is their careers it will ALWAYS be this way, although last year it wasn't.

How many years in their careers have their teams made the playoffs?

I am saying that it's not really proper to say player A is better than player B, by mentioning player A's better performance in the regular season, while completely disregarding their playoffs performance that sees player B blow out of the water player A.
It's either the whole enchilada or nothing. Can't pick and choose, because it's not honest.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Until he proves otherwise. He has not hit 70 points yet. Eberle did it his second season.
Anders Lee is a decent comparable. Exact same amount of goals the last two years.
Why are people acting like Matthews getting what four different injuries including a concussion is a good thing? As of right now Matthews has not hit 70 points. Sorry that the truth hurts you people so much. Will he in the future? Most likely, but you never know after how he looked in the playoffs.
He was a detriment to his team in the playoffs. He had 0 PP points, two Even Strength points and was a -4. When he was on the ice his team scored two times and the opponent scored 6 times. That is really, really bad. Like I said he was so bad in the playoffs he was a DETRIMENT to his team.
Going to be funny watching him get 11+ Million for one of the worst playoff performances ever and never hitting 70 points.

I can't tell if this is a satirical post or not.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
From what I'm reading in your posts, pretty much your entire outlook on the game of hockey.
Cool, well then point out one thing I was wrong about in the post you quoted. Should be very easy for you.
Thanks!

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I can't tell if this is a satirical post or not.

It has to be. The poster you quoted said that a good comparable for Matthews is Anders Lee. Nobody with even a modicum of hockey knowledge would be crazy or ignorant enough to actually believe that, which is why I'm sure that it was a satirical post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad