Mark Scheifele vs Auston Matthews

Who would u rather add to ur team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I think this is the key. The money saved on a Scheifele's contract is likely in the 5M per year range if Matthews gets approx 11M per. 5M in cap assets can go onto making a hockey club much better.

About this-isn't right this very second the contracts favouring Matthews?
Anything else is speculation.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I am picking Scheifele because his contract will be better than Matthews. He is already a proven PPG player over 82 games(actually 79), a student of the game, so he is always working to improve. Just turned 25, so he has many years to go, is not only proving to be a terrific goal scorer in the playoffs but is a better playmaker than Matthews. 14 in 15 games. Not sure Matthews will ever score 14 in 15 games in the playoffs, and Scheifele has a proven playoff mentality unlike Matthews who basically shrunk when the games got tougher. So right now not on speculation but on fact. Scheifele is the easy choice. Not accepting factual preferences is silly. But if you want to choose potential maybes over proven then that's fine. I am not.

5 points in 6 games last season-people forget that.
A potential maybe-like his contract?

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Was closer before, but now that Scheifele has proven to be a playoff beast and Matthews chokes in the playoffs, it's easily Scheifele
Based on one series (out of 2, the other in which he had 5 points in 6 games), and was injured.

Why do people even bother partaking in discussions when they're gonna be this ridiculous and disingenuous?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The separation between the 4th best center and the 6th best center is extremely marginal to the point where it becomes indistinguishable. Matthews is a better goal scorer and his even strength production is elite but he is a shoot-first center and doesn't have the same playmaking abilities as Scheifele or the top centers in the league - at least to this point. Matthews is 20, so you have to allow for some growth but Crosby's best offensive season was when he was 19.

In a vacuum, Matthews should have a better offensive career, but once you add contracts to the mix, Matthews will likely be making what Scheifele and Josh Morrissey make combined. Give me Scheifele.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

It's speculation based on a reasonable assessment of the situation. To ignore the fact that he will likely have a significantly higher cap hit simply because we don't know what his actual cap hit will be would be idiotic.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

You have no idea how much this kind of grammar makes my blood boil. YOU YOUR

Scheifele is the better offensive player but I think Matthews could close the gap by getting better defensively. That is what stood out watching Matthews...when he is on his game he is knocking down pucks, intercepting passes and dictating the game 5v5.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Scheifele is the better offensive player but I think Matthews could close the gap by getting better defensively. That is what stood out watching Matthews...when he is on his game he is knocking down pucks, intercepting passes and dictating the game 5v5.

Matthews should continue to get better offensively too.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Schiefele now, Matthews later. Taking contracts into consideration (I think Matthews gets 11-12 million a year), maybe I'd take Schiefele.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
It's speculation to even assume there will be a season next year. For all we know it could become a competitive golf league next year.

Realistically though, the NHL will continue to be comprised of hockey teams and Matthews will get a lot more than 6 million. Sometimes refusing speculation is just denial.

Come to think of it, I don't think the current contract favors Matthews at all. If you could replace Matthews current contract with 7 years 6 million, you wouldn't do it? You're probably all alone there. Lord knows I wouldn't replace Schiefele's contract with a one year 900k + max bonuses deal.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
As for the poll, I'd probably take Schiefele due to his contract, though I do think Matthews will be the better player in a year or two. I just don't think the gap will justify the large difference in cap space.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Schiefele is barely a better offensive player right now, if he even is. He scores less goals and roughly at the same point pace with better line mates and powerplay opportunities. How many times do I need to say this before people can actually try to refute it.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Until he proves otherwise. He has not hit 70 points yet. Eberle did it his second season.
Anders Lee is a decent comparable. Exact same amount of goals the last two years.
Why are people acting like Matthews getting what four different injuries including a concussion is a good thing? As of right now Matthews has not hit 70 points. Sorry that the truth hurts you people so much. Will he in the future? Most likely, but you never know after how he looked in the playoffs.
He was a detriment to his team in the playoffs. He had 0 PP points, two Even Strength points and was a -4. When he was on the ice his team scored two times and the opponent scored 6 times. That is really, really bad. Like I said he was so bad in the playoffs he was a DETRIMENT to his team.
Going to be funny watching him get 11+ Million for one of the worst playoff performances ever and never hitting 70 points.
A 20 year old player that has a 40 goal season under their belt, following it up with a 45 goal pace in the next season while being ppg+ over a big sample size gets payed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad