Recalled/Assigned: Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Tried watching the presser, got 20 seconds, then it died, now its gone. Oh, well. I did hear a snippet on the radio and sure the Jets don't want to rush him etc. and they are confident he will become a good player in time, but I'm sure "off the record" the Jets would be slightly disappointed in how things have gone so far.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I listened to it. It went some like this:

KC: Today our hockey club announced that we sent Mark Scheifele down to the Barrie Colts. I will now open up for questions.

Reporter: Why?

KC: "Uh, well, we see Mark as a center in our organization. We tried him out on the wing to see if he had the strength at that position (HUH? WHAT?!). In terms of time frame, we only had 5 games to assess Mark this year, in a normal year you get 10 games and so we really didn't get the same opportunity to assess his play. (Why pressbox after back-to-back success on road?) We know what we have in Mark and in terms of his skating and hockey IQ, we're really pleased with his game....

cliche, cliche, cliche, platitude, platitude, platitude, cliche ...and thats why we're very happy to have Mark continue his development with the a first class organizaton in Barrie (cliche) under an excellent coach like Dale Hawerchuk (cliche + hat tip to Winnipeggers who love Dale Hawerchuk)."

---

HFBoards Reaction 1: WE BELIEVE IN CHEVY! I REALLY TRUST TRUE NORTH! I HAVE FAITH IN EVERYTHING THEY DO, EVEN THINGS LIKE SIGNING PAVELEC TO A $20M CONTRACT WITH A .543 SVG%. THEY HAVE A PLAN!

HFBoards Reaction 2: See, I told you we should have drafted Couturier or Hamilton. Scheifele is a huge bust. He's not even one of the games best young players.

HFBoards Reaction 3: Weird that they would keep him up here for 5 games in the pressbox. When he did play, it was odd that they gave him 8 minutes a night playing on a line with Jim Slater and a ham sandwich - and not even in his natural position. Seems like they never gave him a chance to succeed.

Disagree 100% with your summary of the presser.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't care if I get smashed for saying this but the Jets management team did a mistake picking Scheifele at the 7th spot. If they didn't like Couturier's attitude they could have picked up Dougie Hamilton (who is going to become a solid d-man in many years to come).

The reason why many of you are hopeful of Scheifele is because you don't want to face the hard truth that the Jets management fumbled on this one.

There are many Jets fans who agree that the team made a mistake in drafting Scheifele over Couturier or Hamilton. You can't really write the whole story on that just yet, though. But the draft is done, mistake or not - we can only hope the Jets don't mishandle Scheifele. For me - I'm not even saying that sending him down is the wrong move...just that he wasn't given a real shot at making the team this year, and it strikes me as a bit of a botched handling of the situation.

I mean, sticking him on the 4th line - who does that with their 1st round, Top-10-pick rookies?

Florida: Huberdeau - Shore - Mueller (2nd line, Huberdeau on 2nd PP)
Montreal: Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher (3rd line - Galchenyuk on 2nd PP)
Boston: Seidenberg - Hamilton (2nd pairing/Hamilton on 2nd PP)
Edmonton: Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky (2nd line, Yakupov on 2nd PP)
Minnesota: Granlund - Konopka - Setoguchi (4th line, Granlund on 2nd PP)
Minnesota: Suter - Brodin (10th overall, 1st pairing/Brodin on 2nd PP)
Ottawa: Zibanejad - Turris - Alfredsson (1st line, Zibanejad on 2nd PP)
Ottawa: Michalek - Smith - Silfverberg (2nd line)

What kind of chicken-**** outfit puts Scheifele on the 4th line and gives him 8 minutes a game and only a 4 game look? (And if you say Minnesota (Granlund) - keep in mind he's averaging 15 minutes a game - 13 ES, 2 PP).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some people on this thread REALLY need to listen to Cheveldayoff's presser.

I listened and I have to say that I'm more unimpressed then I was.

Seems like they didnt want him to stick and then purposely stacked the deck against him. He was never given the oppertunity to light it up and make the team because they already had their mind made up. What we got instead was him played out of position and scratched for no other reason than to see how he could handle it. You don't see well run organizations pull this stuff with their young players. The one time he was given an oppertunity in a proper role he looked good, but instead of playing him again and letting him build his confidence he gets benched and shipped out right after. The organization comes off looking afraid that Mark might of done something if given proper ice time and we can't have that with Mark needing to go to high school and then college because that's the organizations way.

Really dissapointed in Chevy, hard to imagine that this experience was anything but a negative for Mark. It begs the question of why they even had him here to begin with.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Whereas I agree they should have given him his fifth game, I disagree with the rest.

I think they sent him down because he is becoming a distraction. Of course, not his fault, or any of his doing. The club knew all along that Scheifele wasn't going to be a Jet this year. Why do you think they picked up Jokinen and Ponikarovsky? I still think they should have just left him in Barrie. With no preseason and such a short compressed schedule it wasn't fair to Scheifele, and it wasn't in the best interests of the club, either. I think they just wanted him to know he is still very much a part of the team's future.

Cheveldayoff answered everyone's questions if they wanted to hear the answer. This team won't rush players onto the roster. If that means signing players as bridges, then so be it. People who expect Trouba to be here next year are bound to be disappointed.

To many rookies on a team at once -- no bueno. Look at the Oilers. Kane is starting become a reliable player. Burmistrov needs to take the next step this year. Postma needs to get established. Bring the rookies in slowly, so you don't need to put too much pressure on them. Make sure they are prepared for the responsibility and pace of the game.

If they wait 2 years to get Trouba in the lineup, by then you have Bogosian as a potential Norris winning vet, great top end guys such as Byfuglien and Enstrom, and established sophomore Postma along with Redmond, who will hopefully have a year under his belt. Then you don't have to worry about sheltering a bunch of inexperienced players.

I will also agree that Barrie isn't the greatest place in the world for Scheifele, but that isn't the Jets fault. I still think every team should have an exemption for the underage AHL rule.

I agree with the last part of your post there. I would be fine with sending Mark down if it meant playing a higher level of hockey. However he's not. You can't expect the guy to take the next step if you are never put into the circumstance to do so. I just have this fear that this will cost Mark an extra year(on top of this one) because he's not having the chance to play at a professional speed.

I also think that they never really have the guy ten proper chance to succeed. They put him playing wing, not his natural position, on the fourth ****ing line. I don't get why Noel didnt at least try him on a couple of shifts in the top six. Scratch that, he did, and it actually worked out pretty well, or so I hear.

I do realize they weren't anticipating Scheifele being ready this season, but even still. Even if he's not quite good enough for the NHL, he's too good for Barrie for it to do him any good being there.

I think his development would spike being up here. He'll have NHL level everything from meal plans to training, to team mates to coaching to all that crap. How would it not benefit Mark to be here?

I do understand that too many rookies on the squad is considered a bad thing, but most of our rookies seem to be holding up quite well.

Just my opinion. When I get to be GM of the Jets I might see it differently.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
There are many Jets fans who agree that the team made a mistake in drafting Scheifele over Couturier or Hamilton. You can't really write the whole story on that just yet, though. But the draft is done, mistake or not - we can only hope the Jets don't mishandle Scheifele. For me - I'm not even saying that sending him down is the wrong move...just that he wasn't given a real shot at making the team this year, and it strikes me as a bit of a botched handling of the situation.

I mean, sticking him on the 4th line - who does that with their 1st round, Top-10-pick rookies?

What kind of chicken-**** outfit puts Scheifele on the 4th line and gives him 8 minutes a game and only a 4 game look? (And if you say Minnesota (Granlund) - keep in mind he's averaging 15 minutes a game - 13 ES, 2 PP).

Well, its obvious because there just wasn't any room for him considering our first three lines are so loaded with talent and are NHL all-stars.
:shakehead

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
he's not ready so whats the big deal.if he's not in our lineup 2 years from now then it could be a concern.till then let him develope

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
he's not ready so whats the big deal.if he's not in our lineup 2 years from now then it could be a concern.till then let him develope

Let's define development.

He has reached his top level end of development in junior - there isn't much more he can develop there.

So, give him the time to develop in the big leagues. But we didn't give him the time this year. He was handled poorly. Playing on a 4th line, playing 8 minutes with two grinders? Are you freaking kidding me?

The management and coaching staff baffle me with their priorities. On the one hand they want to develop players and not to rush them into the NHL, yet on the other hand they act as though they desperately want to win as many games as possible and to ultimately make the playoffs.

Doesn't sound like a team who has patience in developing players if their goal is to make the playoffs. Difficult to do with the crew that you have - so why not spend more time AND give more time to those players who will help you make the playoffs on a CONSISTENT basis in the future.

What is more concerning for the Jets? The here and now or the future?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Let's define development.

He has reached his top level end of development in junior - there isn't much more he can develop there.

So, give him the time to develop in the big leagues. But we didn't give him the time this year. He was handled poorly. Playing on a 4th line, playing 8 minutes with two grinders? Are you freaking kidding me?

The management and coaching staff baffle me with their priorities. On the one hand they want to develop players and not to rush them into the NHL, yet on the other hand they act as though they desperately want to win as many games as possible and to ultimately make the playoffs.

Doesn't sound like a team who has patience in developing players if their goal is to make the playoffs. Difficult to do with the crew that you have - so why not spend more time AND give more time to those players who will help you make the playoffs on a CONSISTENT basis in the future.

What is more concerning for the Jets? The here and now or the future?

Good post. I will say that I'm much happier with Mark getting lots of minutes in the OHL then riding the pine here and playing 8 minutes a game.

I agree with your point that this organization doesn't seem to be all on the same wavelength. Case in point what the heck was Redmond doing in the pressbox while Clitsome kept playing awful. I personally believe that we have the wrong coach for this organization, it took Buff getting injured to give him a shot. Its also not like he didn't have any pro-seasoning he's a two time AHL allstar. This organization is really starting to baffle me.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Enough with the excuses for the guy. He simply hasn't earned the right to play on the top 2 lines, and isn't near strong enough to play a 3rd or 4th line role. His top end skating speed is ok, but it takes him way too long to get there, and he gets bumped off the puck with ease, and hesitates to stick his nose in a tough spot.
Including the AHL, he has 1 goal and 1 assist in 21 professional games. Nowhere near ready.
I feel bad for the kid, it's not his fault that Chevy picked him 10 spots too high in the draft.

STOP. JUST STOP. :help:

Anything else I say in response to your posts will cause me to get banned from this site.

THAT IS ALL.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sure it wasn't 11.319?. C'mon dude 8 minutes versus 11 minutes - not much difference... Sheesh.

Remove the 16 minute outlier during the shellacking. Up to that point, it was around 8 minutes.

Scheif will battle. He has the skill and IQ to hang with his draft contemporaries. The improvements he's made over the last year are impressive - looking forward to seeing him help push Barrie to a championship, then get some more time with the Caps. Next year, he'll have the opportunity to bounce between the A and the Jets if he doesn't stick.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He piled up points against the awful teams, then was invisible against Team USA when it counted. Watch the games, not just the stats. Same as with the Jets last year. Great productions against watered down preseason teams, then just a time filler when the regular season rolled around.

[mod] go check the game by game stats [mod]

Bronze meddle game against Russia:

1g 1a

Round robin against Russia:

1g

Round Robin against US

1A

Lookst like half of his points came against non watered down opposition, nice try though.

Sure he didn't produce against the US in the semi's but neither did the other elite offensive talent on the team. Maybe Edmonton, Florida and NYI should be worried about their top offensive prospects, all of which did nothing that game as well and all of which were drafted ahead of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jet, I agree with what you just said except the bit about Trouba. He is in a different class. Next Pronger. He will be ready when called upon.

With Trouba, I think a lot will have to do with him, too. He may not want to leave school without a degree. In that case, I think it helps us. He will be even more NHL game ready if he comes as a college grad.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Can you provide evidence to your statement?

uh...sure. It's not really hard to look that up.

6 players in Scheifele's draft class have more NHL games than Mark does: Adam Larsson, Mika Zibanejad, Sean Couturier, Gabriel Landeskog, Brandon Saad, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

It could be inferred that by the end of this season an additional 3 players, Jonas Brodin, Dougie Hamilton, and Jonathan Huberdeau will also have more NHL games than Mark.

I also think it's fairly common (amongst current successful NHL players) to crack the big league at 20+. Simply due to bodily development. I think Scheifele is coming along well in that area, so I believe he'll be cracking the lineup sooner than later.

Therefore I believe it's premature and incorrect to believe much of Scheifele's draft class will be in the NHL before he is. In fact evidence from his preseason last year as an 18 year old. Coupled with his play this year as a 19 year old with continued statistical progression (and implied bodily growth through age and off season work) through this year amongst peers throughout the CHL and other tournaments suggests he's in the upper echelon amongst his peers.

This combined with the fact that holes within the roster, specifically at the center position will be opening up within 1 to 2 years it should be healthily expected that he cracks the roster within that 1 to 2 year span.

Therefore the assumption that he'll need 2-3 more years and that a large amount of players will already have 4-5 years of pro under their belt would be incorrect.

That's the progression of thought I follow at least.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

^This^. I'm just catching up with this thread (damn you work for actually forcing me to work today!) and this sums my thoughts up exactly.

Those stating that Scheifele should've been sent down or (better yet) is a bust pick must have far more penetrating insight than I. How anything could be gleaned from his sparing shifts with offensive lightweights, other than the fact that he hustles his ass and generates offense, is beyond me. EDIT: Oh yeah, and he falls too much!

For those who see it from a bigger picture that Scheifele needs more time to develop against lower competition, fair enough. That line of thinking doesn't line up with my own, but I'll agree to disagree. :)

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
uh...sure. It's not really hard to look that up.

4 players in Scheifele's draft class have more NHL games than Mark does: Adam Larsson, Mika Zibanejad, Sean Couturier, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

It could be inferred that by the end of this season an additional 3 players, Jonas Brodin, Dougie Hamilton, and Jonathan Huberdeau will also have more NHL games than Mark.

Therefore I believe it's premature and incorrect to believe much of Scheifele's draft class will be in the NHL before he is. In fact evidence from his preseason last year as an 18 year old. Coupled with his play this year as a 19 year old with continued statistical progression (and implied bodily growth through age and off season work) through this year amongst peers throughout the CHL and other tournaments suggests he's in the upper echelon amongst his peers.

This combined with the fact that holes within the roster, specifically at the center position will be opening up within 1 to 2 years it should be healthily expected that he cracks the roster within that 1 to 2 year span.

Therefore the assumption that he'll need 2-3 more years and that a large amount of players will already have 4-5 years of pro under their belt would be incorrect.

That's the progression of thought I follow at least.

What about Landeskog? Brandon Saad? Andrew Shaw? look past the first round dude. Plus Barchi and Olesiak are still both possibilities as well.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
One advantage of him going down is that we have something to look forward to next year. Always nice to know that there's a "good one" in the system.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
No you're right, it's a crapshoot with any player taken after around the 7th pick. 3 years is a stretch but not out of the question. I think a lot of fans, myself included expected him to get more of an opportunity this season.

It's a bit of an unusual season, with less time to fool around with. I would have though the same but for all we know they've worked with him extensively and got to know him much better and achieved their goal that way. Maybe the game experience is really the icing on the cake, not the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad