Recalled/Assigned: Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So your saying he shouldn't have to earn what he gets?

So you're saying he should have to work his way up from the 4th line? You're saying he didn't earn it over Wellwood? You're saying he didn't earn a look for a 5th game?

Why have him here at all if your going to put him out of position on the 4th line for 8 minutes a night? Presumably he was drafted for offense and not to play shutdown hockey with the two least skilled players on the team.

Anyway, since my point seemed to sail high and wide, I'm saying he didn't really get a fair shake. If the goal is to screw around with and sap confidence from a young player, then well done, Jets. Mission accomplished!

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Good point. I forgot that all the best young players start on the 4th line out of their position and are given 4 games at 8 minutes/night in a checking role and then its sink or swim. Leave aside the fact that Slater and Thorburn were creating more scoring chances in 3 games with 55 than ever.

Oh, and Scheifele got robbed point blank 4 times in 4 games, despite limited checking minutes. If even one of those go in, he's golden.

But then again, Wellwood does have that 1 assist this year and almost triple deked an empty net in MTL, so I guess he's earned his place.

Whos says he's one of the best young players?

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So you're saying he should have to work his way up from the 4th line? You're saying he didn't earn it over Wellwood? You're saying he didn't earn a look for a 5th game?

Why have him here at all if your going to put him out of position on the 4th line for 8 minutes a night? Presumably he was drafted for offense and not to play shutdown hockey with the two least skilled players on the team.

Anyway, since my point seemed to sail high and wide, I'm saying he didn't really get a fair shake. If the goal is to screw around with and sap confidence from a young player, then well done, Jets. Mission accomplished!
I agree with some of this, he didn't exaclty get a fair shake. The only thing different I would of done is send him down after the third game he played.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
He is not good enough right now to crack our top 6.....he was drafted to play in our top 6 and not in our bottom 6!!!!...When he is ready to play in our top 6 at C or RW he will make the big team...Is that next year or 3 years from now no one really knows.

Good luck Mark keep working hard on your skating!

GO JETS GO!

he earned more of a shot at it then wellwood did

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
I don't care if I get smashed for saying this but the Jets management team did a mistake picking Scheifele at the 7th spot. If they didn't like Couturier's attitude they could have picked up Dougie Hamilton (who is going to become a solid d-man in many years to come).

The reason why many of you are hopeful of Scheifele is because you don't want to face the hard truth that the Jets management fumbled on this one.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Whos says he's one of the best young players?

Well, he was voted as one of Canada's top 3 players at the WJC, along with RNH (beating out Strome, Huberdeau, Drouin, Reilly, and a ******** of talent) But then again - who says RNH is one of the best young players? I mean, this seems like a circular argument [mod] if its you who decides who the best young players are. No offence.:sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
"Another" 2 to 3 years seems like a stretch at this point morningwood no? My guess would be another 1 year max after this in the AHL and anything more than that and I would be really surprised and concerned.

or at this rate he "may" enter the league like Conacher, Tarasenko, Gallagher, Foligno or Schultz who all took a while but early signs would tell us that the patient development path sometimes pay dividends

No you're right, it's a crapshoot with any player taken after around the 7th pick. 3 years is a stretch but not out of the question. I think a lot of fans, myself included expected him to get more of an opportunity this season.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I don't care if I get smashed for saying this but the Jets management team did a mistake picking Scheifele at the 7th spot. If they didn't like Couturier's attitude they could have picked up Dougie Hamilton (who is going to become a solid d-man in many years to come).

The reason why many of you are hopeful of Scheifele is because you don't want to face the hard truth that the Jets management fumbled on this one.
Scheifele is a smart center that is excellent positionally. His shot is a quick release that is quite accurate. Excellent hands in tight. Incredibly high hockey sense and great passing.

Negatives are balence and speed. Needs to be stronger in the legs to improve both. Needs to grow into his 6'3 frame a bit more. I've watched Scheifele play around 50 - 60 times and I think he safely projects as a top 6 center. Great hockey sense is a huge asset to a player.

Anyone that doesn't like Scheifele I'm more than willing to read your scouting report on him and would be curious how many times youve seen him play

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Some people on this thread REALLY need to listen to Cheveldayoff's presser.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Kadri played most of twp seasons in the AHL before getting a decent shot this year and is playing fairly well. He was also a 7th overall pick.

I question why anybody would be counting Scheif out at this pint in his development

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
To say he projects to be a lower #1C to a #2C doesn't make him one of the best young player. He is not even one of the best young players in the organization.

Hockey Canada seems to like him as well. He also consistently ranks on top prospects lists. Can you find me anything that shows he's not a top young player?

Things more credible than other hfboards posters please.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele is a smart center that is excellent positionally. His shot is a quick release that is quite accurate. Excellent hands in tight. Incredibly high hockey sense and great passing.

Negatives are balence and speed. Needs to be stronger in the legs to improve both. Needs to grow into his 6'3 frame a bit more. I've watched Scheifele play around 50 - 60 times and I think he safely projects as a top 6 center. Great hockey sense is a huge asset to a player.

Anyone that doesn't like Scheifele I'm more than willing to read your scouting report on him and would be curious how many times youve seen him play

about the same as you have.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Hockey Canada seems to like him as well. He also consistently ranks on top prospects lists. Can you find me anything that shows he's not a top young player?

Things more credible than other hfboards posters please.
Top young player is a lot different then one of the best young players.

Donald

Jan 31, 2013

Finally someone tells us the hard truth. We've been waiting for Scheifele to show us this supposed potential for YEARS. Obviously if he hasn't done it yet he never will. Meanwhile Dougie Hamilton and Couturier are established stars.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I don't know you may be correct but I don't think I am "avoiding the truth" and I will use another player to illustrate this point that doesn't play for the Jets so I can tap into the impartial part of my brain. ;)

Ryan Stome was just sent back to finish out his 2nd year of juniors after the draft and by your logic I would have to admit the Islanders fumbled on their pick since he was picked ahead of Sean, and Doug. The problem is I cannot admit that yet. I have seen all three of those guys play and honestly, based on what I have seen, I can't tell you yet whether Strome won't be a better and more productive centre offensively than Couturier in a few years and I have no skin in the game on Strome?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Some people on this thread REALLY need to listen to Cheveldayoff's presser.

I listened to it. It went something like this:

KC: Today our hockey club announced that we sent Mark Scheifele down to the Barrie Colts. I will now open up for questions.

Reporter: Why?

KC: "Uh, well, we see Mark as a center in our organization. We tried him out on the wing to see if he had the strength at that position (HUH? WHAT?!). In terms of time frame, we only had 5 games to assess Mark this year, in a normal year you get 10 games and so we really didn't get the same opportunity to assess his play. (Why pressbox after back-to-back success on road?) We know what we have in Mark and in terms of his skating and hockey IQ, we're really pleased with his game....

...cliche, cliche, cliche, platitude, platitude, platitude, cliche ...and thats why we're very happy to have Mark continue his development with the a first class organizaton in Barrie (cliche) under an excellent coach like Dale Hawerchuk (cliche + hat tip to Winnipeggers who love Dale Hawerchuk)."

---

HFBoards Reaction 1: WE BELIEVE IN CHEVY! I REALLY TRUST TRUE NORTH! I HAVE FAITH IN EVERYTHING THEY DO, EVEN THINGS LIKE SIGNING PAVELEC TO A $20M CONTRACT WITH A .543 SVG%. THEY HAVE A PLAN! I WISH THEY WOULD CHARGE US a $5 CONVENIENCE FEE TO PRINT OUR OWN TICKETS! I WONDER IF THEY TAKE TIPS!

HFBoards Reaction 2: See, I told you we should have drafted Couturier or Hamilton. Scheifele is a huge bust. He's not even one of the games best young players. So what if he had a better WJC tournament than Strome drafted #4 or Huberdeau, drafted #3! He sucks!

HFBoards Reaction 3: Weird that they would keep him up here for 5 games in the pressbox. When he did play, it was odd that they gave him 8 minutes a night playing on a line with Jim Slater and a ham sandwich - and not even in his natural position. Seems like they never gave him a chance to succeed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad