Player Discussion: Mark S Discussion

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think sleeping in the back seat of someone else's car for his pregame nap has hurt his game
captainamerica-marvel.gif

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Mark S laid out one of the best, clean hits I have seen in Jet's 2.0 history. The player he hit had his head down unfortunately, so he took a pretty good shot. But I think he was fine and played his next game. It really was a good, clean, hard hit. Kind of unexpected from a guy like Mark S.

Oh, Mark S got suspended for 5 games for nothing over it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Mark S laid out one of the best, clean hits I have seen in Jet's 2.0 history. The player he hit had his head down unfortunately, so he took a pretty good shot. But I think he was fine and played his next game. It really was a good, clean, hard hit. Kind of unexpected from a guy like Mark S.

One of the other Mark S’s got laid out by one of the best, clean hits in Jets’ 2.0 history (by Buff!)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
You'd hope Scheifele is motivated by PLD and vice versa to center two dynamic lines. Almost seems like 55 is pissed that PLD is getting alot of praise.

seems like that’s the type of player he has been here in Winnipeg . Wheeler couldn’t handle a RW about to push him down the line up either .

these are the jets leaders everyone

Reactions: rkp

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You know I've been thinking about a good parallel for Mark and Jason Spezza comes to mind. Both tall lanky RS centers that weren't really natural athletes that had to work at their strength and skating. Both centered some high powered offensive lines that to a large extent were driven by a face of the franchise winger (Alfredson and Wheeler). When those wingers started aging out Both players metrics took a bit of a hit (Spezza's not near as much).

I seem to recall Ottawa fans getting annoyed at him around the same age we are getting annoyed at Scheifele.

Spezza ended up going to Dallas as a 2C behind Seguin and performed really well for three years in his early 30's before morphing his game amd playing for Toronto at league minimum.

I bring this up because I see so many parallel's in terms of style, ability and deficiencies. Watching Spezza last night and he was busting his ass all over the ice and fighting like a mad man to get the puck back. I would honestly show Mark tape of that and ask him if he still wants to be playing NHL hockey in his late 30's like Jason or if he wants to be out of the game. If he put in 3/4 of the effort that Spezza is putting in these days no one would be saying anything about him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

I was thinking of the reaction to that hit after watching Bennet destroy Sillinger the other day. Bieksa said Sillinger needs to keep hi head up and in no way should the score or the time of the game affect your desire to blow the other guy up. Friedmann agreed. Anyone recall what they said about the Scheifele hit?

Reactions: GreenLine

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You know I've been thinking about a good parallel for Mark and Jason Spezza comes to mind. Both tall lanky RS centers that weren't really natural athletes that had to work at their strength and skating. Both centered some high powered offensive lines that to a large extent were driven by a face of the franchise winger (Alfredson and Wheeler). When those wingers started aging out Both players metrics took a bit of a hit (Spezza's not near as much).

I seem to recall Ottawa fans getting annoyed at him around the same age we are getting annoyed at Scheifele.

Spezza ended up going to Dallas as a 2C behind Seguin and performed really well for three years in his early 30's before morphing his game amd playing for Toronto at league minimum.

I bring this up because I see so many parallel's in terms of style, ability and deficiencies. Watching Spezza last night and he was busting his ass all over the ice and fighting like a mad man to get the puck back. I would honestly show Mark tape of that and ask him if he still wants to be playing NHL hockey in his late 30's like Jason or if he wants to be out of the game. If he put in 3/4 of the effort that Spezza is putting in these days no one would be saying anything about him.

Interesting comparison.

Ottawa essentially got nothing out of that trade. They acquired Chaisson who was just starting his NHL career and was looking decent, 2 prospects in Nick Paul and Alex Guptill who I would say were B+ level prospects and a 2nd round pick which eventually turned into a guy that never panned out.

They made a pretty bad move in acquiring Bobby Ryan and gave up a lot to get him at the time although it interesting to note that Anaheim pretty much squandered that trade return as well.

Ottawa did get to conference finals a couple years after the Spezza trade.

I think there are 2 teams that this off season will be asking about Scheif. I think both Ottawa and Buffalo will be checking in. Both have cap room and a ton of youth that they built up around but they both lack a real impact top Center for their current team. Both have a real good young Center in Cozens and Norris but I think adding a Scheif would be ideal for them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting comparison.

Ottawa essentially got nothing out of that trade. They acquired Chaisson who was just starting his NHL career and was looking decent, 2 prospects in Nick Paul and Alex Guptill who I would say were B+ level prospects and a 2nd round pick which eventually turned into a guy that never panned out.

They made a pretty bad move in acquiring Bobby Ryan and gave up a lot to get him at the time although it interesting to note that Anaheim pretty much squandered that trade return as well.

I think there are 2 teams that this off season will be asking about Scheif. I think both Ottawa and Buffalo will be checking in. Both have cap room and a ton of youth that they built up around but they both lack a real impact top Center for their current team. Both have a real good young Center in Cozens and Norris but I think adding a Scheif would be ideal for them.

Another team that I think would be interested is Chicago. Their core is aging but given the moves they made last year for Jones and MAF they seem like they still want to compete for a cup.

I wonder if you could get Dach plus for him.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Another team that I think would be interested is Chicago. Their core is aging but given the moves they made last year for Jones and MAF they seem like they still want to compete for a cup.

I absolutely think you could NOT get Dach plus for him, unless you meant Colton then sure. I think Dach is a core piece in Chicago going foward. They may be interested but I don't think Dach is the piece they'd move.

Reactions: ujju2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I absolutely think you could NOT get Dach plus for him, unless you meant Colton then sure. I think Dach is a core piece in Chicago going foward. They may be interested but I don't think Dach is the piece they'd move.

Who knows, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Who knows, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet.

No but he's young enough and playing in the NHL full time that I don't think he'd be a piece they'd move. It's like if Perfetti had similar numbers coming off his ELC, we wouldn't necessarily consider moving him. It doesn't fit their timeline I don't think. Yes, they went for Jones, but they signed him 8 years so they consider that a long-term thing. Fleury, I think they had the cap space and thought they could move him at the deadline to a team that might need him for a good return.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Interesting comparison.

In the summer if the Jets are thinking about moving MS, I think there could be a few more. The Rangers make sense if they don't re-sign Strome. Depending on how the Flames do this post season they could possibly use another top 6 C. If the Canes don't re-sign Trocheck and don't think Kotka is the answer in the top 6, he could fit there as well possibly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad