Confirmed with Link: Mark Pysyk 1 year deal

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That makes the most sense. Guess I kinda forgot that human beings can get injured outside of NHL seasons :laugh:

Like when Vrana came into camp last year and immediately got injured on his first day of training camp. Shocking that it magically popped up like that on day one...

Reactions: jaster

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not that it is a worry about term or money, I just find this very shady on Pysyk's part. Very hard to imagine he didn't already know about the possibility he might need surgery and then he just happens to get hurt not even two weeks after signing! I would think teams don't do a lot of due diligence on these shorter term, lower money deals, as can't see them signing him knowing this. I hope it is legit, but it REEKS, REEKS something awful.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not that it is a worry about term or money, I just find this very shady on Pysyk's part. Very hard to imagine he didn't already know about the possibility he might need surgery and then he just happens to get hurt not even two weeks after signing! I would think teams don't do a lot of due diligence on these shorter term, lower money deals, as can't see them signing him knowing this. I hope it is legit, but it REEKS, REEKS something awful.
something something, dog-sled Krupp.

Reactions: Oddbob and Gniwder

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Baffling. Mind-bottling, even.
1658779806955.png

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Do these guys need to pass a physical or is it totally an honor system?

I wonder that too. We often see the topic of physicals come up with trades, it certainly appears that's a boilerplate item in those cases. And all players get physicals at training camp. One would assume that it's the same for free agent signings, but then again, do we know of any cases where a signing was voided after a player failed a physical?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
One would assume that it's the same for free agent signings, but then again, do we know of any cases where a signing was voided after a player failed a physical?

I know I've seen NFL contracts get cancelled after a physical.

I can't really recall any for the NHL off the top of my head.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So according to the CBA, if the injury is not hockey related then the club can suspend him without pay, but this does not void the contract. If it's a hockey related injury then Buffalo would be responsible for the medical bills.

CBA (enjoy! LOL):

5. (a) Should the Player be disabled or unable to perform his duties under this SPC he shall submit himself for medical examination and treatment by a physician selected by the Club, and such examination and treatment, when made at the request of the Club, shall be at its expense unless made necessary by some act or conduct of the Player contrary to the terms and provisions of this SPC or the rules established under Paragraph 4. At any time a physician selected by a Club makes a determination as to whether or not a Player is disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player for purposes of this Paragraph 5 of this SPC, such physician shall evidence such determination by fully completing the form attached to the CBA as Exhibit 25-A, which shall be provided to the Player at the time such determination is made and immediately provided to the Club as well. Upon receipt of such fully completed form, the Club shall send an electronic copy forthwith to the Player, his Certified Agent, the NHL, and the NHLPA (the "Recipients"), which shall contain the language from CBA Exhibit 25-A contained in the "Message to Player", provided, however, that the Club's failure to include such language shall not affect the timeframes set forth in this Paragraph 5, or otherwise prejudice the Club.

(b) If the Player, in the judgment of the Club's physician, is disabled or is not in good physical condition at the commencement of the season or at any subsequent time during the season (unless such condition is the direct result of any injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including travel with his team or on business requested by the Club) so as to render him unfit to play skilled hockey, then it is mutually agreed that the Club shall have the right to suspend the Player for such period of disability or unfitness, and no compensation shall be payable for that period under this SPC.

Reactions: jaster

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know I've seen NFL contracts get cancelled after a physical.

I can't really recall any for the NHL off the top of my head.
Or if you don't watch 4 hours of film a week, apparently.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly it sucks this guy got hurt, I think he is exactly what our 3rd pair could have used on this run we are on. Has anyone seen any updates on when he might come back? If he can get fully healthy, I would not mind signing him to a 1 year deal again to be the #3 RD.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Honestly it sucks this guy got hurt, I think he is exactly what our 3rd pair could have used on this run we are on. Has anyone seen any updates on when he might come back? If he can get fully healthy, I would not mind signing him to a 1 year deal again to be the #3 RD.
My understanding was about a month out from his return window his achilles exploded again. Sort of like Max Pac. Except Max actually made it back (but he came back early I think)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My understanding was about a month out from his return window his achilles exploded again. Sort of like Max Pac. Except Max actually made it back (but he came back early I think)
I saw a tweet from November that said something like this, but then nothing since?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
When we signed Pysyk, I always thought he was an okay player and just had a bad draw for his early stats because he was on the bottom floor sabres teams. So when you look at his most recent games and how he plays, he would have been perfect for what we tried doing with Hagg. Obviously, we signed hagg and pysyk and maybe that was going to be the official 3rd pairing to start the season, but, defensively, pysyk would have been perfect for the stay at home defensemen that had like 5 points for the season.

And those 5 points would be the second assist on breakaways goals. Of which i don't mind at all. You have 5 points as a defensive defensemen and was a plus 15 on the season with barely any mental mistakes? Sign me up.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Pretty sure he was done for the year, which sucked because you're right, Frk, he's exactly what we could have used.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
When we signed Pysyk, I always thought he was an okay player and just had a bad draw for his early stats because he was on the bottom floor sabres teams. So when you look at his most recent games and how he plays, he would have been perfect for what we tried doing with Hagg. Obviously, we signed hagg and pysyk and maybe that was going to be the official 3rd pairing to start the season, but, defensively, pysyk would have been perfect for the stay at home defensemen that had like 5 points for the season.

And those 5 points would be the second assist on breakaways goals. Of which i don't mind at all. You have 5 points as a defensive defensemen and was a plus 15 on the season with barely any mental mistakes? Sign me up.

From what I recall, Hagg was signed as a Plan B after news of Pysyk's injury came out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad