Speculation: Mark Madden: Penguins will try to trade Kessel this offseason

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
This seems silly.

I do hope they trade him, though. He's a really good player.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Leaf haters are hilarious.

They spend a decade with the same core and people make fun of them for not rebuilding.

They finally decide to blow it up and take less value in order to rebuild and the same people are complaining.

If the Leafs kept Kessel they would a hopeless pathetic team like they have been for most of the past decade. They would be in no better shape than Montreal, Edmonton etc.

The Penguins won two cups with Kessel. The Leafs set themselves up for a decade of being a playoff team. I can't see how both teams didn't win this trade.

But you were saying that Kessel got traded at a 8mil cap hit. That's just false. I was correcting you....no hate.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I don't see why you guys are doubting this. It's a simple case of looking into the future. They know Kessel will only get worse so why not maximize their asset's value by trading him for a younger top-6 forward (albeit not as good) plus picks and prospects?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Dunn would be apart of it for sure.

That's not an automatic no for me, but I am not in love with moving Dunn. To move him, it would have to be an overpay. Kessel is, but I'm just saying don't expect the + you are implying to be Thomas+ or Parayko+. Dunn was the only bright spot in our terrible PP last year and he is still on ELC which greatly helps our cap structure.

What else are Pittsburgh's needs? How much would you need added?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hope it's not true. He did struggle in the playoffs, but I think we should give him a little slack after being a big part of 2 Cups you know?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That's not an automatic no for me, but I am not in love with moving Dunn. To move him, it would have to be an overpay. Kessel is, but I'm just saying don't expect the + you are implying to be Thomas+ or Parayko+. Dunn was the only bright spot in our terrible PP last year and he is still on ELC which greatly helps our cap structure.

Dunn+ something not outrageous (Kyrou,Thomas, Parayko)

Idk Dunn+Fabbri?

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
It would be totally silly for them to trade him.

Plus, I don't know if there is any truth to the rumor that Phil and Sullivan don't get along, but there does seem to be a lot of rumors about Sullivan not getting along with several players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think if Kessel is being traded, it's going to be for a more completely but worse top-6 winger and a good futures piece. The proposal of Coyle and the #24 pick seems like a reasonable suggestion, although I'd rather go after Niederreitter. I don't think St. Louis has a winger that makes sense here, if Fabbri wasn't hurt for the entire season, he's a guy who could have made sense.

I think the teams that will really like Kessel are teams that have a lot of good top-6ers, but no great top-6ers. Minnesota makes a ton of sense as being candidates for Kessel.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I am actually all for it. Not a huge fan of Kessel. Not sure what the deal would look like though or who we would target.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota fans:

Would Nino+1st be of interest?

Parise-Staal-Kessel would be a legit 1st line I think.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think they’d try and part with Walman instead. I’d guess Walman+Tage/Kyrou+Sobotka+1st

Obviously. I'd very much like the same thing. But unless there is some internal issues we don't know about, I doubt Pittsburgh does that without getting a strong anchor piece. Kyrou could be that, but with Tage in there, its a collection of spare parts, good parts, but none close to Kessel.

Dunn+ something not outrageous (Kyrou,Thomas, Parayko)

Idk Dunn+Fabbri?

It would really depend on how hopeful I was that he would return to form coming off his surgery. That is a lot to give up if Fabbri is what he was before getting injured. I obviously have no inside info on how his recovery is progressing. Not saying no, but not saying yes either. I'm kind of on the fence. I am really worried that someday Kessel will just fall off a cliff. Everybody always worries about it and it hasn't happened. But with rumors of his terrible off-season work-ethic and his somewhat reliance on speed, it will always be a worry, justified or not.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota fans:

Would Nino+1st be of interest?

Parise-Staal-Kessel would be a legit 1st line I think.
It's not out of the question. Personally I'd be nervous about turning a 25 year old, $5.25m player into a 30 year old, $6.8m player, but it should be a significant boost to our offense for the next 2-3 years. If the idea would be for us to go all in for the next few years and blow it apart after that I could go for it.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Leaf haters are hilarious.

They spend a decade with the same core and people make fun of them for not rebuilding.

They finally decide to blow it up and take less value in order to rebuild and the same people are complaining.

If the Leafs kept Kessel they would a hopeless pathetic team like they have been for most of the past decade. They would be in no better shape than Montreal, Edmonton etc.

The Penguins won two cups with Kessel. The Leafs set themselves up for a decade of being a playoff team. I can't see how both teams didn't win this trade.
he isn't wrong though. the leafs sold kessel at his lowest value and got quite little for him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think if Kessel is being traded, it's going to be for a more completely but worse top-6 winger and a good futures piece. The proposal of Coyle and the #24 pick seems like a reasonable suggestion, although I'd rather go after Niederreitter. I don't think St. Louis has a winger that makes sense here, if Fabbri wasn't hurt for the entire season, he's a guy who could have made sense.

I think the teams that will really like Kessel are teams that have a lot of good top-6ers, but no great top-6ers. Minnesota makes a ton of sense as being candidates for Kessel.

Understandable. I wish we had that player because I'd do Coyle/Nino + 1st type of deal all day. Those guys have are running out of upside and approaching what they will be, they are off their ELCs. That's just a 25-35ish point upgrade for the cost of a late first.

Last ditch effort: Berglund (30-40 point guy who plays good defense and can play C) + Tage Thompson (nearly ready RW with Top 6 potential) + 1st + 2nd? Pretty please? <sigh>

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Listening to the radio, Sullivan and Kessel have always had issues because Kessel is just a hard player to coach, and these issues came to a head when Sullivan refused to play Kessel with Malkin. Kessel doesn't like being the "anchor" for the 3rd line, he wants to play with good players. Sullivan doesn't trust Malkin and Kessel together defensively, that's why they don't play together.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Listening to the radio, Sullivan and Kessel have always had issues because Kessel is just a hard player to coach, and these issues came to a head when Sullivan refused to play Kessel with Malkin. Kessel doesn't like being the "anchor" for the 3rd line, he wants to play with good players. Sullivan doesn't trust Malkin and Kessel together defensively, that's why they don't play together.
looks like the toronto media was right about phil being "uncoachable"

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
he really isn't. he's lazy, gets a lot of his points on the powerplay and he gets easy zone starts

Jesse Marshall had a really good breakdown article debunking the whole 'lazy' thing. Personally, off the eye test, he seemed like a heck of a determined player this regular season even with back checking. And despite all the talent on our PP, I feel like Phil is the real PP QB that made us so dangerous.

Not to get too crazy, he's obviously not a 200' player but he is still a rare offensive talent. What he was able to do with Bozak and Bonino makes me think he'd be extra valuable to teams without elite talent at C.

Reactions: Freedom

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Madden doesn't seem overly credible but if they do try to trade him it won't be easy.

With that 8 team trade list he can just pick 1 team that's realistic and force them to trade him there like he did to the Leafs. I don't think he gets the monster return Pens fans are dreaming of if he is dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad