Mark Lazerus calls out "hating" fans

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Typical Chicago sports "journalist". It's this kind of coddling that allows diptshit Lovie to utter the infamous "[Wrecks] is our quarterback." with a smug face.

Reactions: Pez68

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Chicago sports "journalism". If this kind of coddling that allows dipt**** Lovie to utter the infamous "[Wrecks] is our quarterback." with a smug face.
chi fans are hard nose blue collar workers mentality. they will call out the crap that they, the fans are seeing. they will not abide with crap. can't help it, but for all my life that has been the way it has been. this goes for all chi teams. does anyone think different are basically newbies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't understand how this does anything at all except make things worse. He's a professional and is covering the Hawks, does he really think making a commentary on meathead fans is going to create an intelligent dialogue and offer them perspective? All it does it make people angrier.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't understand how this does anything at all except make things worse. He's a professional and is covering the Hawks, does he really think making a commentary on meathead fans is going to create an intelligent dialogue and offer them perspective? All it does it make people angrier.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb
while you are approaching this logically, i can't help to look at this ... well from the meathead mentality . they have every right to call out the bs that they are seeing. those meatheads, esp if they are paying sth fans, are paying a hefty price to have that more of a right to call it as they see it.

beside it is the management fault for not fixing the problem which they created in the first place. all those positive yrs wasted b/c the salary cap got screwed over by the fo.

so whose fault is all this >>>> the FO.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
chi fans are hard nose blue collar workers mentality. they will call out the crap that they, the fans are seeing. they will not abide with crap. can't help it, but for all my life that has been the way it has been. this goes for all chi teams. does anyone think different are basically newbies.

Damn millennials, amiright?

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Can we keep the political crap out of this forum?

I mean seriously with the lefty stuff I don’t come to hockey forums to hear about reporter political leanings.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I had a feeling these tweets wouldn't be popular here but I can't say I disagree with his point, even if I don't think it's something that he should have said.

I used to post on this board all the time but frankly it's become different camps of people both trying to say why their extreme dislike of the players is more accurate than the other camps extreme dislike of the players.

I know people will say this is because they are having a bad season but if you've been here long enough, you'd definitely remember how negative this place was even when the Hawks were winning Cups. I've always been of the opinion it is fine to be negative but the extremely negative discourse a lot of people seem to have about the Hawks is just distasteful.

People seem to forget that sports are entertainment and that the people playing are just that, people. I'm not saying Lazerus is right in saying what he did, I do think it's not his place, but I will never understand the anger people have at players who have brought this city 3 Cups.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I get where Laz is coming from and I have no ill will towards players. What Hawks are going through is what every high powered team goes through. Players have success and get paid on past success and not necessarily future performance.

Seabrook is grossly overpaid, but can still be utilized so he isn’t a liability. Toews is struggling, but still think he can be enough of a difference to lead the hawks to one more cup in the next five years.

It’s obvious something is grossly wrong with this team currently. Jay talked about this in his podcast last night. It all starts with changing the coach next year to see if a new voice can change the direction of the core. Trade AA and Hossa’s contract and you have quite the money to spend in FA next year. Along with a top 10 prospect things could look a lot different.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I get where Laz is coming from and I have no ill will towards players. What Hawks are going through is what every high powered team goes through. Players have success and get paid on past success and not necessarily future performance.

Seabrook is grossly overpaid, but can still be utilized so he isn’t a liability. Toews is struggling, but still think he can be enough of a difference to lead the hawks to one more cup in the next five years.

It’s obvious something is grossly wrong with this team currently. Jay talked about this in his podcast last night. It all starts with changing the coach next year to see if a new voice can change the direction of the core. Trade AA and Hossa’s contract and you have quite the money to spend in FA next year. Along with a top 10 prospect things could look a lot different.

Kind of, you'll have one year before Schmaltz' raise kicks in. He'll likely be more expensive than Anisimov. Factoring in the salary cap raise, Schmaltz will likely replace Anisimov's cap hit percentage in two years.

So clearing Anisimov will open up cap space for a one-year deal for a free agent.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Kind of, you'll have one year before Schmaltz' raise kicks in. He'll likely be more expensive than Anisimov. Factoring in the salary cap raise, Schmaltz will likely replace Anisimov's cap hit percentage in two years.

So clearing Anisimov will open up cap space for a one-year deal for a free agent.
I would think it’s more with the raise in the cap. Also the hawks shouldn’t be worried about bonuses like Panarin.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would think it’s more with the raise in the cap. Also the hawks shouldn’t be worried about bonuses like Panarin.

When Anisimov signed his contract, his AAV was 6.23% of the cap ceiling at that time.

Assuming the cap is $80,000,000 when Schmaltz signs, 6.23% would be a $4,984,000 AAV.

So ya, I'd say you're right. Moving out Anisimov likely won't even fully pay for Schmaltz' raise.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
At best this comes off as tone deaf. At worst it paints you as a shill mouth piece. Yea, hockey players are people too. Dealing with people being irrationally upset with you is the downside of the job that has made you generationally wealthy.

Reactions: TLEH

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
How many of the fans have the privilege of getting to keep cashing their paychecks like those sports "stars" getting called out who can't be bothered to put in more than a few minutes of effort on an every-other-nightly basis? It's one thing if the team is talent-deficient. It's quite another when fans see the financially-secure "core" getting outworked/outproduced by not only the other teams from top to bottom, but also by rookies and lowly paid scrubs on the same roster. It's not like they were working for free or on league minimum when they won those Cups.

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
It seems that some Hawks fans have the what have you done for me lately and don't have lots of goodwill, I am not saying they should be living on the past, but we could be the Capitals, Sharks or Canucks who have had upper level teams like the Hawks have had with zero to show for it.

I think part of the reason for such anger is there being a hard cap which the team has been up against almost constantly since 2010. If baseball had a similar hard cap I imagine Jason Heyward would be getting much more venom from Cubs fans.

If I were Toews or Seabrook I may ask to see if I could somehow get out of here before I fall out of favor any further and perhaps have fans hold it against me even after I am done playing and not get the ovations when visiting for conventions or other functions.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It seems that some Hawks fans have the what have you done for me lately and don't have lots of goodwill, I am not saying they should be living on the past, but we could be the Capitals, Sharks or Canucks who have had upper level teams like the Hawks have had with zero to show for it.

I think part of the reason for such anger is there being a hard cap which the team has been up against almost constantly since 2010. If baseball had a similar hard cap I imagine Jason Heyward would be getting much more venom from Cubs fans.

If I were Toews or Seabrook I may ask to see if I could somehow get out of here before I fall out of favor any further and perhaps have fans hold it against me even after I am done playing and not get the ovations when visiting for conventions or other functions.

Appreciating what they have delivered, and having a "what have you done for me lately" mentality aren't mutually exclusive.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

They can even bluff and tell Stan that he can trade them as they know no one will trade for garbage players who can’t play anymore and getting top dollar, if Stan had to give away TT in order to get rid of ONE year of Bickel, what do you think he will be giving to get rid of Seabrook? 3 first rounders plus? Some will think that’s a joke but that is about right, no one will take Seabrook and cripple their team for a long time and that goes same for Toews if they don’t get something of value.

Reactions: BrianE

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They can even bluff and tell Stan that he can trade them as they know no one will trade for garbage players who can’t play anymore and getting top dollar, if Stan had to give away TT in order to get rid of ONE year of Bickel, what do you think he will be giving to get rid of Seabrook? 3 first rounders plus? Some will think that’s a joke but that is about right, no one will take Seabrook and cripple their team for a long time and that goes same for Toews if they don’t get something of value.

Right, at this point you work around the Seabrook deal until it puts resigning Schmaltz and DeBrincat at risk. Luckily you have two top-6 forwards on entry level deals, for now.

Cement Head

I'm tired, I only had 16 hours of sleep!
Dec 23, 2017
Professional sports are entertainment, if watching it makes me mad, I don't watch it. If it looks like the professional athletes playing on teams I am rooting for don't care about winning then I don't watch. I remember a Bulls playoff game against Cleveland when Rose and Butler seemed to be having a contest to determine who could be worse. This was an elimination game and they didn't seem to care. That did me in for the Bulls, now I don't even know when they are playing nor do I care if they win or lose. The Bulls owned my attention in the nineties when Jordan ruled. He not only was the best but always tried his best except Super Bowl Sunday 1998 in game against Utah when Jackson put in a new Bull named Rusty LaRue. It was late in the fourth quarter in a tied game and Jordan must have thought why do you have this bum in the game. So he kept deferring to Larue who kept missing shots that Jordan should have taken. I wish I could see this desire to win with the Hawks core but I don't think it exists.

Reactions: BrianE and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Professional sports are entertainment, if watching it makes me mad, I don't watch it. If it looks like the professional athletes playing on teams I am rooting for don't care about winning then I don't watch. I remember a Bulls playoff game against Cleveland when Rose and Butler seemed to be having a contest to determine who could be worse. This was an elimination game and they didn't seem to care. That did me in for the Bulls, now I don't even know when they are playing nor do I care if they win or lose. The Bulls owned my attention in the nineties when Jordan ruled. He not only was the best but always tried his best except Super Bowl Sunday 1998 in game against Utah when Jackson put in a new Bull named Rusty LaRue. It was late in the fourth quarter in a tied game and Jordan must have thought why do you have this bum in the game. So he kept deferring to Larue who kept missing shots that Jordan should have taken. I wish I could see this desire to win with the Hawks core but I don't think it exists.
wow, that is the key here...... regardless of the coach or whatever the problem is, do the hawks player have that desire to win ????

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Laz is known as a Hawks kiss ass to management. He ain't wrong, but I agree with Ray it's pretty unprofessional.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
While it is unprofessional, Laz see some rather toxic tweets on Twitter. It is one thing to be critical of a player but people go far beyond that calling people scum and getting personal. Heck we see trash comments like that here.

Seems like he just snapped.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't wonder if JT is slipping. I freaking KNOW it.

I don't hate him for it, I hate that we will need to watch this for several more years!!

Kiss my lazzerus, scribe.

The yes man Lazerus calls out fans but doesn't have the balls to ask Q and/or Hawks management the tough questions. Same with all the beat writers afraid that they might be banned from interviews....

Yes, Hawks fans are pissed off and for good reason, YES MAN. But it's not so much the players they're pissed at.

Reactions: Fortyfives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad