Friedman: Marian Hossa will not play in 2017-18; Career in jeopardy

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think you are fooling yourself if you think he is ever coming back. I could be wrong of course, but I think this is more about the salary then anything else and so do a lot of other people.

I happen to agree with you that he's never coming back. But I don't think it's 100% about the salary. I think it's about his own personal health and well-being, and his future life for him and his family.

I think a small portion of it is about the salary... but the vast majority is what I listed above.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Sure. But LTIR isn't for that, it's for players that legitimately can't play anymore. He should straight up retire in that case

There's a 0% chance the NHL is going to force a team to make a player play with an illness that could affect health for the rest of their life. A team might contest it, but there is no way the league will take that chance

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I think it's more about the Hawks wanting to save $ than it's Hossa refusing to play due to "only" $1M in salary.

They need the capspace, they've paid him like 96% of his contract. They probably have an gentleman's agreement for him to be placed on LTIR.

No one wants his contract and he's old and got 3 rings, he's contempt with his life as is.

He can coast while the insurance company pays him his remaining salary.

The NHL will do NOTHING. They'll just sweep it under the rugs. Sad, but true.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Everyone should have seen this coming a mile away. This contract was designed to circumvent the salary cap. Everyone could see that he would look to "retire" once it dropped down to 1M. And now it all happens once the Hawks have cap trouble. Color me shocked. I hope, at the very least, the league makes him formally retire. I think Chicago should also be penalized some draft picks for this.

Everyone did see it coming and knew it was. People seem to be ruffled by a not unprecidented but little known skin issue vs what people were expecting eventually in a back issue or concussion situation.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think it's more about the Hawks wanting to save $ than it's Hossa refusing to play due to "only" $1M in salary.

They need the capspace, they've paid him like 96% of his contract. They probably have an gentleman's agreement for him to be placed on LTIR.

No one wants his contract and he's old and got 3 rings, he's contempt with his life as is.

He can coast while the insurance company pays him his remaining salary.

The NHL will do NOTHING. They'll just sweep it under the rugs. Sad, but true.

Why is that sad? They are the ones who midway made a point of no more with the Ilya contract and effectively changed the rules. There league just happens to for a rare instance be fine with not making their dumb rule changes be overbearing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad