Friedman: Marian Hossa will not play in 2017-18; Career in jeopardy

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
According to several sources, there is a legitimate possibility Hossa has played his final NHL game. (He could not be reached for comment. Neither could his agent, Ritch Winter. The Blackhawks declined to comment.) Apparently, he suffers from a serious allergic reaction to the equipment he wears.

The sources who confirmed the allergy stressed not to make fun of it, with one saying, “It’s only funny to anyone who’s never had it.†Details are sketchy, because no one would give full information, but the medication necessary to combat the allergy is potent enough that doctors wanted his blood tested every few weeks to make sure there were no major side effects.
That’s very serious stuff, and word is doctors worried about Hossa taking the medicine for extended periods of time.

If that’s the case, it would be the end of a Hall of Fame career. No debate here, he deserves entry.
Hossa is scheduled to be paid $1 million during each of the next four seasons, meaning almost 94 per cent of his contract is already paid. If he were to retire now, the Blackhawks would be hit with what are called “cap recapture†penalties — $3.675 million off their club’s cap number from next season until 2020-21. For a team already facing a crunch, that’s a massive blow.

Unless he doesn’t retire. He simply goes on long-term injured reserve.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-marian-hossa-might-played-final-nhl-game/

That would be a shocker. Just a little while back I was reading about how Hossa was preparing for another season.

Last edited:

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
This is blatant cap circumvention and every other GM in the league should be furious.

The Hawks should even be penalized for this nonsense.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I thought that annoying bland frat boy on Sportsnet was joking until I read this.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
So exactly when his contract drops to the BS years he is deathly allergic to his equipment and can't play? Nothing suspicious about that.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
What are the chances there isn't really a "serious allergic reaction"

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If Hossa does retire and Chicago can LTIR him or move him to a team that can dead cap space him, a Rick Nash with retention to the Hawks makes too much sense here. Can step right in and check a lot of boxes that losing Hossa will leave

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I hate to be that guy, but how convenient is it that Hossa has to retire now, the first of his four years of cap circumventing $1m salaries?

And the reason is an allergy to hockey equipment?

Obviously I don't have all the details but I really hope the league serioisly investigates this

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
So exactly when his contract drops to the BS years he is deathly allergic to his equipment and can't play? Nothing suspicious about that.

Hossa during his meeting with the NHL office investigation

giphy.gif

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
This is blatant cap circumvention and every other GM in the league should be furious.

The Hawks should even be penalized for this nonsense.

I'm having trouble believing this story too. Certainly, I can understand medications being used to treat an allergy and needing regular monitoring for it. But, I just have trouble believing that one would have an allergy to the fabric in the equipment and that this issue never came up until now.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
IF this is true - he can't find equipment that he's not allergic to? He can't wear stuff underneath so his skin doesn't make contact with the equipment? Come on now.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
What a horrible lie... NHL won't do anything about it cause it's the Hawks and they get away with this crap

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So how does Chicago replace him? Obviously the cap space is huge but hossa was huge in all the cups.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well, it's been a decade since we had a controversy with Hossa.

This smells like shenanigans to me. Was Lamoriello consulted before going public?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad