Kings News: Marian Gaborik Re-Signed [7 Years @ $4.875M AAV]

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Towes and Kane each just reportedly started their negotiations asking 12Million AAV! We are in store for a new level of contracts in the NHL in the coming years.

Agreed with the second part; it's a new market.

But that's how negotiations start. They might get 10 million in their first year, but i'd expect their contracts AAV to be anywhere all over the map from 8-9.5.

guderian

Nov 10, 2006
Zagreb
I know most think that Gabby will eventually be bought out, but I wouldn't be surprised if he fulfilled his contract. He could be another Selanne.

He did receive alot of hard hits and walked away from them without any injury, seemingly. Quite impressive for someone with his previous injuries history.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
he got his groin fixed with that surgery a few years ago so lately its been inuries that are from going to the hard areas

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I cant see Kopitar taking less than a comp $9mper over a lengthy deal. I can't see why he would. We will have to pony up big time to keep him around and I hope that we do.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I think some of you guys only look at FMV and don't factor in Kopi wanting to stay with the kings as a bargaining chip. So, if he wants to retire a king, asking for some flexibility in pay really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I think some of you guys only look at FMV and don't factor in Kopi wanting to stay with the kings as a bargaining chip. So, if he wants to retire a king, asking for some flexibility in pay really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

The almighty dollar is a major factor, don't kid yourself. Kopi will be 29 when his new deal would start, so maybe they could lower AAV in years 6-8, but i'll be shocked if it's under $8.5M

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Kane kinda strikes me as a guy that wants the most amount of $$$ as possible. Kopitar does not.

Kane likes the limelight and being a household name like he is here in Chicago.

I think he is the kind of guy who would love playing in Toronto or Montreal.

Toews would strike you as more like Kopitar, yet he is looking at 10+ (they know they won't get 12)

guderian

Nov 10, 2006
Zagreb
Kane kinda strikes me as a guy that wants the most amount of $$$ as possible. Kopitar does not.

Yeah, Kopi leaves impression of decent guy, not grady or selfish at all. Really great guy you can enjoy being around.

But when he signed his last contract I was a bit surprised how much he got in the end, personally I expected him to end with low $6MS but instead he got one of bigest contracts at that moment.
If Toews gets $10M or close to that there is just no way Kopi gets less than $9M. That has nothing to do with Kopi personally and it's not any kind of knock on his character. It's just business and Kopi&Kings are not only interested sides.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
That contract situation in Chi Town is laughable. If they go for 10 each, they are gonna be the Ducks. A one line team and are gonna spend themselves out of being competitive for years to come.

Go for it Chi Town...I'd rather have more cups.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

It's cause he's a leprechaun.

8469021-a-leprechaun-finds-a-pot-of-gold--he-s-rich--3d-render.jpg

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
That contract situation in Chi Town is laughable. If they go for 10 each, they are gonna be the Ducks. A one line team and are gonna spend themselves out of being competitive for years to come.

Go for it Chi Town...I'd rather have more cups.

I disagree. What is the alternative, letting Kane or Toews leave for nothing?

People said the same thing about Chicago's depth after 2010 and they ended up ok, it's easier to draft and develop depth guys than it is to find another Kane or Toews.

Unfortunately the salary cap is going to be the ultimate parity maker for many teams, not really fair to a lot of teams, but it is what it is.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I made a long post elsewhere in response to someone who claimed that Kopitar would take a hometown discount to stay because he would want to win, live in Los Angeles, and so on. It's got some data that might be interesting for this conversation, so I thought I'd repost it. It's not directed specifically at anyone here, but might be good fodder for discussion.

The "hometown discount" idea is one that has been percolating throughout the Kings messageboard universe in recent years, and it's one that just has no solid evidence in its support. It's wishful thinking.

Lombardi is a good negotiator and I don't think he does deal that are anywhere near as bad as what other GMs have gotten themselves into. But, being a "good negotiator" essentially means getting a fair price, not getting an actual discount. And, ultimately, the bottom line is that there are no players on the current or past roster that we can clearly say took hometown discounts.

So, if one is going to seriously argue that Kopitar will take some kind of discount--or Doughty, for that matter--then we need an example of Lombardi actually getting someone to take one. Who are our candidates?

Gaborik is the obvious first choice for evidence in support of the idea that Lombardi can get someone to take a discount of some kind. However, while it is true that he could likely have gotten a contract with a higher average annual value (AAV, or cap hit), it's unlikely that he could have gotten more money, strictly speaking. That contract is seven years for a 32-year old with a history of injuries. Just what does that injury history consist of? Let's see...

2000-01 71 games played, 18G 18A 36p
02 - 78, 30G 37A 67p
03 - 81, 30G 35A 65p
04 - 65 (74 games total-- 65 NHL, 9 Slovak; contract dispute?), 18G 22A 40p
05 - 0 (lockout, played in Europe)
06 - 65, 38G 28A 64p
07 - 48, 30G 27A 57p
08 - 77, 42G 41A 83p
09 - 17, 13G 10A 23p
10 - 76, 42G 44A 86p
11 - 62, 22G 26A 48p
12 - 82, 41G 35A 76p
13 - 47/48 (lockout shortened season), 12G 15A 27p (what the hell happened here--yes, the numbers are right)
14 - 41, 11G 19A 30p

So, while he has had more overall healthy seasons (70+ games) than unhealthy ones, there have been some real bad ones in there, with 48, 17, and just this past year only 41 games. Also, while Gaborik has indeed put up some monster numbers (2010, wow!), his production does appear to be declining. And before people chime in, yes, I'm aware that he was brilliant in the playoffs, but that's a small sample size. If we're going to really understand what's going on here, we need to think analytically and look at the trends. Statistically speaking, NHL forwards peak in point production between 25 and 27. He's 32, and the decline first appeared in 2011 (when he turned 29); he had a good bounce-back year in 2012, but the 2013 and 2014 regular seasons were rough, make no mistake. While his productive years are certainly not over and done with, we would be overly optimistic if we expected him to produce any more than about 70 games, 25G 25A 50p. If he hit those targets, I think we'd all be very pleased.

Now, what does his contract look like, and why is it not a "discount"?
2014-15 - $6.075 million (+ $1m signing bonus)
16 - $6.075 million
17 - $6.075 million
18 - $5.075 million
19 - $4.575 million
20 - $3.175 million
21 - $3.075 million
It's a $34.125 million, seven year contract--for a 32-year-old with a history of significant injuries and with declining production. Yes, the cap his is a more reasonable $4.875, but that's because it's so long. His $6-ish million next year is a pay cut from his $7.5 million the previous five years, but his last five years of performance have not justified him making that much.

How does he compare to players with a similar cap hit? Take a look. What you'll find is that Gaborik's annual salary the next three years is substantially higher than any of the other players on that list, which includes people like David Backes (he's due a raise), Tomas Plekanec, Bobby Ryan, and Ryan Kelser. Now, Gaborik on his day is a better player than any of those guys, but his numbers in the past few years don't compare well to theirs (injury) and he's older than all of them. Indeed, he's the oldest player with a cap hit that high, aside from Erik Cole and Martin Havlat, both of whom are entering the final years of their contracts.

So, cap hit might be a bit misleading. To really understand if this is a discount of sorts, let's look at his actual salary. And, lo and behold, Marian Gaborik is the third-highest paid right wing in the NHL, behind only Marian Hossa ($7.9 million, wow, didn't know it was that much) and Patrick Kane ($6.5 million). Now, Kane is rumored to be asking for in the neighborhood of $12 million/year on his next contract. He won't get that; $10 million is more likely. But, he's 25 (b. 1988) and has only ever played less than 70 games in a season once--this past year, when he played 69. Upcoming is his Big Contract, the one that's going to be the most he'll ever make. And, while the two players are actually quite comparable in their prime, Gaborik at 32 is nowhere near Kane at 25 (and don't get me wrong--Kane is ******, but he's a good ******).

So, how is this a discount at all? Given Gaborik's very real and still apparent ability to manufacture points and to raise the team's shooting percentage, weighed against his also very real history of injury and current trend of declining production, paying him $6million/year for the next three years seems... about what he'd get on the open market. Perhaps slightly more if someone offered him just three years, but we offered him seven. And yes, I understand the contract is moveable, Gaborik may retire early, we can put him on LTIR, etc. It's a good contract--but it is in no way a discount. It's Lombardi negotiating well, and giving Gaborik a long-term deal in exchange for (perhaps) a marginally lower annual salary the next few years, and a significantly lower cap hit. This contract could look very bad in a few years if he decides to keep playing but is unproductive; who would take his contract in that case (cough see also Mike Richards cough).

Back to Kopitar, where this whole conversation started--don't expect him to take a discount. Expect Lombardi to get a good deal, but it will be a fair deal. Depending on what the cap looks like in a few years when Kopitar is up for renegotiation, I'd ballpark his annual salary at $10-12 million/year, about what Toews will get. That will be the going price for an elite center, and it's what he would make on the open market. Lombardi will probably offer him as many years as he possibly can in order to front-load the contract and carry it through Kopitar's declining-production and lower-cost years later in his career. A good cap hit, however, is not a discount--it's a good contract. I expect that Lombardi will lock him up long-term before he has a chance to hit free agency, but again, that's not a discount so much as the benefits of incumbency.

Honestly, if you're thinking that Kopitar actually will take a discount, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. It's wishful thinking, something people think is true because they really want it to be true. There's no actual evidence that discount contracts--particularly for an absolutely elite player in his prime--are anything other than pipe dreams.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I disagree. What is the alternative, letting Kane or Toews leave for nothing?

People said the same thing about Chicago's depth after 2010 and they ended up ok, it's easier to draft and develop depth guys than it is to find another Kane or Toews.

Unfortunately the salary cap is going to be the ultimate parity maker for many teams, not really fair to a lot of teams, but it is what it is.

Yup. Hell people are even saying the same thing about Gaborik for us right now! "lol that contract is going to handicap them in the future, how stupid." I mean, when it's your shot, you go for it. Show me a baby Gaborik in the system and I'll show you a tradeable contract.

Sometimes these guys just aren't replaceable and a good GM will be able to work around the parity-maker known as the cap. Imagine what a bargain Carter et. al. will look like as soon as next year. Someone is gonna get stastny as a number two center for up to 2.5 million more than Carter makes, for example.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Great post, AF, and I think the mistake people are making is in ignoring 'term' as an asset in addition to cap/salary. DL is getting good deals, not total steals, but that's great as it rewards the player, too. He's not saying we're cheapskates; he's saying we will pay you appropriately within the team structure and he has gotten many to buy into that.

FWIW, though, a guy like Greene won't be looked at as a discount for us, but imagine what he would get on the open market this year. Watch what Mitchell gets. Etc. UFA years and vet status do gross things to contracts.

Ron*

Yup. Hell people are even saying the same thing about Gaborik for us right now! "lol that contract is going to handicap them in the future, how stupid." I mean, when it's your shot, you go for it. Show me a baby Gaborik in the system and I'll show you a tradeable contract.

Sometimes these guys just aren't replaceable and a good GM will be able to work around the parity-maker known as the cap. Imagine what a bargain Carter et. al. will look like as soon as next year. Someone is gonna get stastny as a number two center for up to 2.5 million more than Carter makes, for example.

Yup, this is their window. Sure, we are also planning for the future, but we all know what to expect the next two to three years. This is the time to go for it.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This is where great drafting pays dividends. You can afford to pay players while the window is open when you're drafting and developing Toffolis and Pearsons who are getting paid pennies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
This is where great drafting pays dividends. You can afford to pay players while the window is open when you're drafting and developing Toffolis and Pearsons who are getting paid pennies.

Well Chicago drafted Saad and Shaw and are still going to be up against the cap huge after this season, just like our Kings. When you have so many elite players that need to be paid it's just not possible to maintain the depth, even when you do draft well, because obviously guys like Toffoli, Pearson and Saad are not going to make 750 forever.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I think it's probably fair to expect a contract north of 9M for Kopitar. Hell, depending on what Toews and Kane get that might even be considered a discount deal.

When Kopi got his 6.8M contract the cap was at 56.7M, making his deal roughly 12% of the cap. I don't know what the cap's gonna be like in two years when Kopi's next contract kicks in, I'm guessing 75M at the very least. 12% out of 75M is 9M. Now you factor in two Stanley Cups, being a playoff PPG producer during those cup runs, widely regarded as one of the best players in the league, a Selke nomination and a salary cap predicted to skyrocket I think it isn't hard to make a case for him earning more than 12%.

That being said, I doubt Kopitar is looking to make as much money as humanly possible, he'll be willing to make a deal, but that deal might be him earning 9-10M instead of 10-12M.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Well Chicago drafted Saad and Shaw and are still going to be up against the cap huge after this season, just like our Kings. When you have so many elite players that need to be paid it's just not possible to maintain the depth, even when you do draft well, because obviously guys like Toffoli, Pearson and Saad are not going to make 750 forever.

Meant it more as we don't win the Cup this year without Toffoli and Pearson playing on the second line.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
My feeling is that Kopitar will take cap friendly deal for player of his possibilities, even some discount, but he'll be first player by Kings with NTC or even NMC for majority of his new contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad