Kings News: Marian Gaborik Re-Signed [7 Years @ $4.875M AAV]

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
So, with Gabby signing on for 7 years, does that mean we shouldn't be surprised to see JW and Stoll receive a 4 to 6 year deals sometime next year?

Williams, maybe, but Stoll is much more a complementary piece than the other two. Also, if Williams gets 6 years, I would think his deal would be $4.25M at most.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
This quote made my night.

Marian Gaborik said:
"All along I wanted to stay here. The organization knew it, the players knew it, everybody knew it, my agent knew it. That was my No. 1 priority, to try to get the deal done here," Gaborik said. "I know I could get maybe more money if I went to UFA, but it wasn't about money. I wanted to stay here and be a part of a great team."

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Originally Posted by Marian Gaborik
"All along I wanted to stay here. The organization knew it, the players knew it, everybody knew it, my agent knew it. That was my No. 1 priority, to try to get the deal done here," Gaborik said. "I know I could get maybe more money if I went to UFA, but it wasn't about money. I wanted to stay here and be a part of a great team."

So Herby, do you still think that Kopi will be getting more than 9M with the kings?

Jun 30, 2006
Great post.

I know I sound like a broken record but MR is the guy who turned this team into a team full of believers. In fact that is what I would call that guy from here out. Believe.

We had talent but something about MR just seems to elevate the players around him. It has always been that way but I don't have to tell you.

I think it was game 7 when he was with the Flyers and the game was out of reach. He was about to be eliminated and he still gave 100%. The guy went full speed up the ice and dove to stop a puck from going into an empty netter. It wasn't going to change the outcome of the game but it didn't matter to him. The fact that his instinct was to give it all to show the other team that nothing will come easy for them up until the last second was GIANT to me.

If that didn't send the same message to his team mates then nothing would. We could go back to his championship back in jr's but no need. MR is the key to our learning about the kind of determination that it would take to win.

He came to a very good Kings team and took them the rest of the way. I credit that guy for the change in culture as far as the players are concerned. He at least was exactly what we needed to get to the next level.

Well said. I trust that he will put in more time towards training this summer.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think Kopi gets 9 million, he is not Crosby or Malkin. I think he slots in right around 8.2 to 8.7.

Kopitar will want term more than a HUGE salary increase. He is already making 6.8 a season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think Kopi gets 9 million, he is not Crosby or Malkin. I think he slots in right around 8.2 to 8.7.

Kopitar will want term more than a HUGE salary increase. He is already making 6.8 a season.

I see the thinking, though. Look at Perry, Getzlaf, Staal, and Giroux. They're all 8-8.7. With the cap going up, your best players are going to eat higher percentages. Personally, I think Kopi is going 7.5 on long term or 8 a little shorter and he will be fully deserving of it. 9 would be brutal when Crosby is on 8.7 and Malkin and Ovechkin on 9+, but it will be a very different market by the time that strolls around.

So, not saying I agree, but neither thought process is absurd. Exactly the kind of thing someone should eat an avatar over!

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I has it at 5 yrs,

And in reality it may turn out to be a 5 year ~27 million dollar contract. The two last years may just be to make the contract even more team friendly. As far as I understand there will be no cap-penalty for the Kings if Gabby retires "prematurely". The two last years makes it very team and cap friendly. It isn't cap circumvention, like we saw in the the old CBA with Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk etc., but this contract is probably stretched as far as realistically possible for team/cap friendly reasons.

Well done DL.

itstheo54

Oct 1, 2008
Towes and Kane each just reportedly started their negotiations asking 12Million AAV! We are in store for a new level of contracts in the NHL in the coming years.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah that sounds about right, he's earned it.

If toews and kane get 10 mill, I think it's going to hamper us abit once it's Kopi's time.

Hopefully they get around 8 and I wouldn't be so worried. But people comparing salaries to current contracts is not a good measure. Kopis contract is up 2 years from now.... And if the cap keeps going up, you can be sure his $$ value would be higher than getzlaf and perry

Last edited:

KingsVision

Jun 24, 2009
6/25/14 - NHL Live - Gaborik Signs 7-year Contract

[nhl]626381[/nhl]

NHL Live breaks down the decision by the Los Angeles Kings to sign forward Marian Gaborik to a 7-year contract worth $34.1 million.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I was referring to Gaborik not scoring 40 goals in the regular season. Post-season stats are meaningless here.

Now, I'm a fan of the Kings(Carter is one of my favourite players) and I like Gaborik and my post is not meant to disparage the Kings's fandom. I'm just stating what to me is a statistically very likely scenario. I would be very surprised to find very may Kings fans who truly believe Gaborik will score 40 goals in a regular season again.

It says you are from Toronto, so are you a Leafs fan? You certainly talk like one.

Post-season stats are everything to a team that just won the cup twice in three seasons. Gaborik can sit in the corner all season and hit on the cute blonde in the front row but if he scores 14 goals in the playoff every season who gives a ****?

Yeah, he and I made a wager: if Kopi signs for less than 8M, he loses his avi for the season; and I lose mine, if he signs for more than 9M.

So in other words you won't lose your avatar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad