Confirmed with Link: Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore to OTT for Dion Phaneuf (25% retained) and Nate Thompson

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Does this Phaneuf deal smell of a Lombardi type move to try and salvage a team barely in the playoffs? Kings could have more low risk move to improve the D and bought out Gaborik at the end of the season.

This move appeased Doughty, but Phaneuf is 33 pretty soon and looked pretty slow out there in the past few games.

I really hope the Kings don't deal assets or tie up cap room for another short term rental. The Lucic and Sekera moves really hurt this franchise for the past few years.

How much lower of a risk was needed than Nick Shore and a seemingly untradable contract?

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
If it doesn't ultimately work out, Phaneuf could be traded with $1 million to $1.5 million retained and that would be much cheaper than a Gaborik buyout. This deal made sense both in terms of the immediate return and the potential financial implications later.

Mooy04

Apr 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Phaneuf so far has been pretty solid. I know players sometimes have a nice start to a new team because they have something to prove and eventually cool off. Lets see how Phaneuf does after 10-15 games.

Reactions: BigBrown

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Phaneuf so far has been pretty solid. I know players sometimes have a nice start to a new team because they have something to prove and eventually cool off. Lets see how Phaneuf does after 10-15 games.

its not just the scoring so far , we were told he couldn't play and everyone does make mistakes but he shows the puck possession and lack of panic that veterans develop, admittedly scary at times watching him but it seems natural

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Phaneuf certainly isn't a graceful skater, but he knows how to dish the puck and gets pucks on net. Adding another dman who can play lots of minutes is a rather significant addition.

Last night, the pairing of Phaneuf-Martinez earned the most ice time on the PP at 2:52, more than Doughty-Muzzin at 2:22.

He's also allowed a guy like Forbort to play with a partner he is best paired with in Doughty, and Muzzin getting less ice time is also a good thing.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ironically the guy this hurts the most is Doughty.

I actually think his icetime was lowered because of the leg thing too, he was surely laboring all night last night.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We should want Doughty's ice time to be lowered. He plays too many minutes and it makes him a less effective player. Same with Kopitar.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The Phaneuf trade will continue to impact this team throughout the season and beyond..
Doughty will have his minutes decrease and be better for it.
The defense as a whole is better and his toughness and PP skills are a breath of fresh air.
It cleared the way for Michael Amadio to get more playing time and he is taking advantage of that.
Oh and Thompson has been ok too.. lol
So far, we have struck gold on this trade! Carter can’t get here soon enough!

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
We want Doughty's ice time to reduce. He has more energy to join the rush when he does play and his minutes would be more effective.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We should want Doughty's ice time to be lowered. He plays too many minutes and it makes him a less effective player. Same with Kopitar.

We want Doughty's ice time to reduce. He has more energy to join the rush when he does play and his minutes would be more effective.

I don't disagree, he's much more effective in the 24-25 range. But he wasn't joining the rush--or skating much period--last night, hence my remark about the leg thing. And I said this 'hurts' DD not because of a drop in icetime but because the pairings are now Doughty - Forbort / Martinez - Phaneuf / Muzzin - Folin. I figured a Phaneuf trade would result in Muzzin - Doughty. Forbort is a good player but a notable drag on Doughty's game.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I don't disagree, he's much more effective in the 24-25 range. But he wasn't joining the rush--or skating much period--last night, hence my remark about the leg thing. And I said this 'hurts' DD not because of a drop in icetime but because the pairings are now Doughty - Forbort / Martinez - Phaneuf / Muzzin - Folin. I figured a Phaneuf trade would result in Muzzin - Doughty. Forbort is a good player but a notable drag on Doughty's game.

I noticed that leg problem too, he was hanging back more as the game went on

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How's Thompson looking so far?

Real solid.

Probably got a bit too much playing time last night but he's very strong and disruptive, helping create turnovers. I was worried about his lack of speed vs. VGK but he was one of our most effective forwards arguably, just smart out there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
In his first game with Ottawa, Gaborik had a goal and an assist. He's been pointless since.

Phaneuf is outscoring him.

Nate Thompson has as many points as him.

And Shore went for a 7th.

That many Senators fans are okay with the trade is a bit mind boggling.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Defensively I think Phaneuf has been average, but I've been so impressed with his offensive play. You can see why he's had a 20 goal season, and a 60 point season before.

Working the point in the offensive zone he actually reminds me of Blake. They're about the same size.

Reactions: 123slam

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
In his first game with Ottawa, Gaborik had a goal and an assist. He's been pointless since.

Phaneuf is outscoring him.

Nate Thompson has as many points as him.

And Shore went for a 7th.

That many Senators fans are okay with the trade is a bit mind boggling.

I think it mostly doesn't matter to us at this point...trade value wise, none of the assets had much value. Nobody else would take Phaneuf.

While I think Phaneuf is a great person, and surely great in the locker room, I don't think he should be a part of anyone's top 4 if you want to seriously contend...and his contract necessitates that.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think it mostly doesn't matter to us at this point...trade value wise, none of the assets had much value. Nobody else would take Phaneuf.

While I think Phaneuf is a great person, and surely great in the locker room, I don't think he should be a part of anyone's top 4 if you want to seriously contend...and his contract necessitates that.

I think it's pretty clear him and Ceci were kryptonite in a way Martinez and Muzzin were to each other here, and that there's a better fit for him with Martinez for whatever reason. He hasn't been flawless, but he's been as close to a Regehr replacement as we've hoped for, but one who is actually deadly in the ozone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad